• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Zeta DVD problems.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jsyxx

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Ok, episode 19 Cinderella Four, won't play on my player at school. Has anyone encountered this problem? I guess with ten discs, it's was only a matter of probability, but that would be rediculous if it was like that on every set. I feel sorry for the store whos going to have to give me a new one, since this set was so expensive. Or could I go through Bandai directly?
ultrabot

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:46 pm Reply with quote
how old is the player you're trying to run it on? and have you tried it on any other players?
jsyxx

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Its brand new, like 2 months old. I'm going to try it on my Pioneer at home. I'm getting a feeling that its the disc though and not the player, because its similar to other fudged up discs I've experience in the past. There are like 10 minutes on the DVD that won't play at all and cause the screen to freeze up evertime that section is encountered.
Sir_Brass

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 6:27 pm Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:
There are like 10 minutes on the DVD that won't play at all and cause the screen to freeze up evertime that section is encountered.

That's sort of like what happens when I have a CD-R that didn't burn very well, there is an issue with one or more of the files. And if I try and transfer the file to the HD, I get a redundancy error or something of the sort.

HOWEVER, it's wierd that that sort of thing would happen with a commercial DVD, since the data on it is not written to it the same way a personal CD/DVD burner writes data to a CD-R or DVD-R.
zaphdash

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:32 pm Reply with quote
It sounds like a bad disc. Very first anime DVD I ever bought, Tenchi Muyo in Love, had a similar problem (although it was much worse on that disc than it seems to be for you). I just went back to Suncoast and exchanged it for another copy and no problems since then.

I personally didn't have any trouble with any Zeta discs I've watched so far (but I've only gotten through the first 33 episodes so far). Since it's a ten disc set, the store where you bought it probably won't have individual extras on hand, and since it's only one defective disc, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to replace the whole set. If I were you, I would contact Bandai. I imagine they'll set you up with a new disc.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:53 pm Reply with quote
I used to have problems like that with my first DVD player it was a Shinsonic brand I think. When I put certain discs in it like Outlaw Star Collection 2 Disc 1 and Robotech: Macross Saga Collection Vol. 5, for instance, the discs would always make LOTS of noise turning inside the machine, the piicture would skip, get all pixelated and then freeze up.

My latest player, a Koss brand one, plays all of them normally even the Robotech one which was the worst of the lot (and screwed up on THE best episode of the series Evil or Very Mad ). I returned that particular set a total of three times to two different stores all four copies containing the same exact error, in the same spot, on the same disc. Wrote to the company and everything, then finally got tired of returning the darn thing. As you can imagine it was great when I finally rather unwittingly solved the problem by buy a home theater system in a box.

Anyway, as for my Zeta Box set, no I haven't had any problems with it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1