• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime of the 60's?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Now, at 52, I'm an old git. I got into anime in the 70's with Star Blazers though at the time it wasn't known to me as "anime". I now know about Astro Boy being the first pioneer Japanese export of animation to become transmitted in the "western" world in the 50's, though I don't ever remember seeing it as a young-'un, and Speed Racer, also never seen. But were the 60's the "dark ages" for anime in the "western" world? I mean what titles if any were released then? I can't seem to remember any.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:04 pm Reply with quote
There was one anime that I know of (at least its opening sequence, not its name) that was produced in the 60's (it was a mecha anime), but more than likely never released in the US.

They need to add a "sort anime by year" in the encyclopedia to make it easier to find certain anime of a certain year.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:48 pm Reply with quote
kusanagi-sama wrote:
They need to add a "sort anime by year" in the encyclopedia to make it easier to find certain anime of a certain year.

animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime-list.php?showdate=1&limit_to=100&licensed=&sort=date

Change the limit to increase the number of anime shown. To reverse it (showing the most recent anime), add "&invertsort=1", like so:

animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime-list.php?showdate=1&limit_to=100&licensed=&sort=date&invertsort=1

To show them all, chronologically, use "limit=0", thus:

animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime-list.php?showdate=1&limit_to=0&licensed=&sort=date

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Oh, yeah, I forgot about that feature
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Appaku

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:06 pm Reply with quote
If you ask about 80's, I got plenty of those, but as for 60's... oh gosh. I'm fairly certain Kimba was big at that time, one of the first Technicolor ones. Osamu Tezuka was in his prime at that time after releasing a bunch of black and white ones in the 50's. I want to say Prince Planet was a 1960's one, but he was still in black and white, too. Hello Kitty! No, she was born in the 70's...
I guess you're right. The 60's really were the dark ages of anime.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Yes, I would definitely call it "The Dark Age of Anime," from what I've read anyway in my internet research and recently in "Anime Explosion: What? Why? and Wow! of Japanese Annimation" by Patrick Drazen. Although, I wasn't around for them myself, I'm a child of the 80s.
Akumajou

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 3:04 am Reply with quote
Didn't alot of the pre-WW 2 Loony Toons, Silly Symphonies and Disney animation being aired or probably shown in Theatrical forms post-WW 2, along with US comics being somehow distributed in Japan have alot to do with the Dark Ages of Anime?

Basically the way the US cartoon characters had the big eyes, were violent, sexual, had exagerated scenes, etc influence alot of the creative juices since anime was also a word used to describe cartoon or animated shows.

BTW, in the 70s when I lived in the Dominican Republic, I saw Astro Boy in black and white and spanish dubbed and later I saw other stuff like Steel Jeeg (Vengador), Gaiking (Gladiador), Centella Luminosa (um Luminous Lightning?), Candy, Principe Saphiro (Prince Saphire?) and other shows, even live action shows with asian casts and Godzilla dubbed in spanish.

However as for the animation, while Loony Toons, Popeye and others were also aired, I remember being emotionally more attracted to the stuff I later came to refer to as Anime, even though I already knew back then that most of this stuff was coming out of Japan because most of the music, including the intro and outro songs were either translated or subtitled and I also knew it came from Japan because in most of the shows that had Japanese settings like Steel Jeeg, Gaiking, Centella Luminosa, etc the character's names were Japanese and Japan, Tokyo, etc was always mentioned and made references to.
JackBassV

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 6:36 am Reply with quote
Back in the late 60's (68 or 69), I saw my first anime (again, didn't know it was japanese), and that anime was Marine Boy.

I'd love to get hold of a copy (pref sub and dub). I'd be able to watch MB swiming with his Orca (dolphin? not sure) and chew his Super Oxy-Gum.

You will have encountered the latter, if you read Oh My Goddess (can't remember the volume number). Urd is looking on her ingredient shelf and says
"Umm, MB type Oxy-gum".

And that was it until 1987 or so when I got into Manga, and then Anime.

JBV^_^
owen_c

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 10:50 am Reply with quote
I don't consider the 60s to be the dark ages at all.
Although there were some famous shorts and propaganda features created from 1917 to 1958, the first major, color, non-propaganda film (and the 3rd anime feature in 1958), Hakujaden (Legend of the White Snake) was created just two years earlier in 1958. This was the first major production of the legendary Toei Doga studio. Throughout its history, this studio brought a new level of detail and realism to anime, as well as launching the careers of Miyazaki, Takahata, and others. Throughout the 60s they created a long line of Disney-esque feature films such as Journey to the West, Little Prince and the 8-Headed Dragon and Puss 'n Boots. The studio still operates today, though their quality level has gone downhill (DBZ, anyone?).

In 1961 Osamu Tezuka produced Tetsuwan Atomu (Astro Boy), the first color TV anime. This was the first TV anime to make use of limited animation. A budget-saving technique which has been used in almost every commercial anime since, this makes extensive use of low framerates and still frames. Also, this technique sometimes leads to creative and experimental use, such as late Kare Kano with the manga and paper-figure episodes. Using limited animation also allowed more anime to be produced. Though it has often been criticized by other animation critics, it is undeniably an integral part of the style of modern anime today. This also launched Tezuka's own Mushi Pro studio, the other major studio of the time. This studio would go on to create many major works, including the first politically controversial and adult-oriented anime, as well as launching today's Madhouse and Sunrise studios.

Astro Boy, as well as other popular shows like Hustle Punch and Speed Racer, launched international interest in anime, among TV distributors and university circles which would later become the fansubbing community.

Hayao Miyazaki got his start in the 60s. Inspired by Hakujaden, he began his career at Toei as an inbetweener. Inbetweeners are low-paid workers hired to smooth out the animation by drawing in frames between keyframes (frames that define the start, stop, and any changes in a motion), now mostly outsourced to countries like Korea. Even though he was at one of the lowest positions in the company, Miyazaki was able to convince Toei to change the ending of their 60s work Gulliver's Space Travels, an ending which entirely changed the meaning of the work. This also launched the trend of key animators becoming directors, which has led to the careers of many famous directors.

In 1968, Toei produced Horus, Prince of the Sun. Directed by Isao Takahata (of Grave of the Fireflies fame), it was the first anime which had an overall serious tone and explored themes such as free will. Although it was a commercial disaster (much as similarly, Wings of Honneamise was for Gainax), it set the stage for anime that explored serious themes.

These are just a few of the events that happened in the anime industry in the 60s. To summarize, the 60s were the first anime boom, followed by others in each coming decade. However, foreign distributors and even fansubbers are rarely interested in early or rare work, so it is very hard to see some of the founding works of anime.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:13 pm Reply with quote
I don't doubt it was being made then, just that it obviously very rarely left their shoreline. Maybe in the future if Anime keeps growing in popularity some of the old archives will get put on DVD like some of Miyazaki's past works are at present.
Golgo13

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:25 am Reply with quote
Don't forget My Son Goku from Toei in the early 60's which later came to America under the title Alakazam the Great.
tvgood

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:39 pm Reply with quote
I’m not sure if it was made in the 60s but I think that Lupin the third is one of the great old anime’s. If you ever go to Japan you can still see it running in the after noon.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1