• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
MOVIES

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
YoukaiGoddess

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 4:10 am Reply with quote
I Need to know what the best Anime Movies in the WORLD are. I'm a blooming collector and I need some really good advice. I'm sure this shoud be the right place to get it.
philg

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 4:42 am Reply with quote
Well any movie directed by Hayao Miyazaki is really good, global standard that is... well actually any Studio Ghibli film is known pretty much worldwide. Then the other classic anime (if you haven't already seen them) are Ghost in the Shell, Akira, Ninja Scroll, Aeaon Flux (haven't seen it I'm sad to say). Whenever I'm looking for really really good anime I just search movies by the same director as one that i liked.
elniro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 5:44 am Reply with quote
Just search review sites for anime movies, and the movies which get 5 stars or whatever on most of the review sites, then those are probably the best anime films out there,

these are the best of what films i've seen:
princess mononoke
akira
initial d third stage (although this is unreleased on dvd in USA and EU)
The Outsider

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 7:57 am Reply with quote
Here are some of the movies that I have... I have others, but I'm only listings the ones that I think are "must haves"...

Akira
Armitage III: Poly-Matrix
Castle in the Sky
Cowboy Bebop: Knockin On Heaven's Door
Ghost in the Shell
Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence
Metropolis
Ninja Scroll
Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away
Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust

Bloodlust is the second Vampire Hunter D movie... so make sure it says Bloodlust on it... although I have the first one, and enjoy it, it pales in comparison to Bloodlust... and I think it was the same director that did Ninja Scroll too... I know... I should know his name, but remember I'm kinda new at this... Very Happy
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 8:21 am Reply with quote
philg wrote:
Aeaon Flux

Not Anime, nor is it a film.

Gotta reccomend Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust, Memories, Tokyo Godfathers, Princess Mononoke.
Arkard

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 8:26 am Reply with quote
Totoro is a classic... also Nausica. Grave of the Fireflies and possibly Howl`s Moving Castle.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:12 am Reply with quote
Eveyone, please stop giving list thread-styled recommendations.

To YoukaiGoddess: you can

- Check the Top 50 Best Rated titles. At this time, 16 of them are movies.

- Check Cookie's list of good titles.

- Check the dedicated favorites thread, in which every user has written down good reasons for what s/he loves (or hates, in some case).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
MasterFuu

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 1:03 am Reply with quote
The Wings of Honneamise is my all time favorite anime movie. Second favorite is Ninja Scroll. Patlabor 2-The Movie is another incredible anime.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 4:32 am Reply with quote
Spriggan and Perfect Blue are pretty darn good choices, the Cowboy Bebop film can probabally also be watched as a stand alone without seeing the series, however it's best if you have.
Yunamaster

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 8:25 am Reply with quote
Should say what moved me is Princess Monoke, it's really awesome!
also, Perfect Blue reveals the pain of obsession is (If you are in that sort of stuff)
The New Yugioh Movie, good idea, and you get some promos also! Very Happy
slickwataris

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 6:55 pm Reply with quote
two words:

Little Nemo

and any Miyazaki movie...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Jin-Roh is good, but it's really dark and depresing, and moves very slowly. Most people I know don't like it all that much because of the pacing, but I think it's a masterpiece for the psychological aspects and underlying literary symbolism. But then again, this was the first title of this genre I've seen. For something before it (although I haven't seen it), I hear Perfect Blue is good.

And though it's actually an OAV (4 episodes, or 2 hours), I highly recommend you check out Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuioku-hen. It's my number one anime and is the very definition of a romantic tragedy.
tenchidragon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Its an ova not a movie but its the best anime I've ever seen.Its called Voice of a Distant Star.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Golgo13

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:36 am Reply with quote
Some very underrated movies that should be mentioned are Silent Service and Memories.

Silent Service, originally a TV movie, is about a military thriller about a Japanese\American built nuclear submarine that breaks away from the armada and declares the ship as it's own nation.

Memories is a movie comprised of three short anime films from the directors of The Animatrix, Spriggan and Akira. Each short has its own tone and its own unique art style.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1