• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What to do? (about fansubs)

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Previously, before I had a DSL line and was only equipped with a 56k modem, I didn't download anime. 2 months ago, I got that DSL line and had the urge to finally try some fansubs, but for some reason, I was hesitant.

As of today, in all my life, I've downloaded a total of only 4 fansubs (including only one after I got DSL). But what should I do now?

I know it's illegal to do so, but SO many other people do it. I try to make most of my decisions good and moral for the sake of continuing to grow as a person. But in a world like this, people can only take themselves so far before they decide to splurge a little, right?

I try do to things the way I see is fit, and I know downloading is technically not a good thing, but recent observations are starting to make me think otherwise.

Is it really so bad to download fansubs? I'll tell you now that I won't make a habit of this and that I won't rely solely on these to get my "fix" of anime, nor will it ever affect my decision on buying a title domestically.

However, anime is a real joy to watch, and I'm just feeling a little curious over some of the shows people keep mentioning. I would like to view them by paying for them and actually supporting the companies, but I don't feel like waiting a few years for just one show to be released in completion.

All I want to know is what some of you think on the issues of downloading anime and whether it's really a problem for the industry or not.

And uh.. please keep this clean.
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Well, I have am AWESOME connection. I seriously get download rates well in excess of 1 Mbps. You woud think I would use this awesome power to download anime right and left, but I don't. I can't say that it is entirely a moral decision. First I have so much access to legal anime that I have no time or inclination to pursue fansubs. Further, I dislike the generally low quality of fansubs. The video and audio quality are now fine, but still some of the translations are a bit off and also too many fansubbers don't seem to realize that light yellow is NEVER a good choice for a subtitle color. No one get on my case for this, I know not all fansubbers are created equal, and some do probably put out a good product. Still, the bad ones scare me away from all of them.
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:44 pm Reply with quote
the way i see it, the animators should be happy cause their projects are getting hype abroad, which means potential DVD sales. granted there are lamers, but they don't make up for everyone. it's all elitist BS, most companies are making their money from the merchandise. i really don't think Rumiko Takahashi got rich off her storytelling abilities(though it helped).

if you feel bad, just delete the show when it's licensed.
SuperOnizuka

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Well, what we can do is promote responsibility. Being that informing people that fansubs are bad and illegal may not have a real drastic effect, maybe informing people to be responsible might. Well responsible for anything and everything that one does should be the theme for anyone for or against something.

I download fansubs a lot. But I do take responsibilities for my actions. I have purchased every DVD released of the anime that I once downloaded, except for Naruto..since it hasn't been licensed yet. Wink I have bought every single anime that I have downloaded that has been released in America, and deleted the ones that I have purchased off of my computer.

The same with Mangas. I download them, and then delete them when I get the volume of the manga that has been released in the US.

Does this make me a bad fan? Maybe, but as I said, I take responsibility of my actions.

We should be teaching responsibility not abstinence...from anything. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:57 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
if you feel bad, just delete the show when it's licensed.

Oh, of course. The previous 4 fansub episodes I downloaded were only watched once and then deleted, and they all weren't even of the same series. Basically, my dilemma only applys to titles that are unlicensed in the U.S. I'd never keep them on my computer and I'd most certainly buy them on DVD if they were available.
Ashton

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:06 pm Reply with quote
I think Fansubs are a great way to get to know different series.
It is clear that fansubs have greatly increased the number of people watching anime and therefore increased the sale of DVD's. By my experience most of the people who watches anime uses the fansubs to check the series and then buy the DVD's when available.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Even if you do or don't watch fansubs, it wont change the thousands of other people who download them. This opposition the US Anime industry has of fansubs is perfectly natural, as they are, of course, illegal reproductions of what they intend to buy/fund/make a profit from. However, simply because the U.S Anime industry says "BAD", doesn't mean you have to follow suit. Do what you feel is right, not what a bunch of people on a message board tell you Smile
BoygetsfireD

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:30 pm Reply with quote
where does one get fansubs?

my friend showed me some Naruto, and I asked where she got it and she said the internet, so I was like "cool!"
but then I couldn't find it
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Eh.. sorry, but the rules of the site don't allow anyone to link to them.

Teh Rules wrote:
10) Users may not request or link to bootlegs, fansubs, scanilations, active fan-translating groups, peer-to-peer networks, timed scripts, MP3s, unauthorized movie clips, or websites that house these groups or products.

I'm sure if you ask your friend, though, she could tell you.
BoygetsfireD

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:48 pm Reply with quote
oops, sorry Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
ThatMatt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:16 pm Reply with quote
To me, downloading anime is like buying a baseball ticket from a scalper, you shouldn't do it, but its not really that big of a deal if you do. I think it actually does help, as people can see the work that the animators and storytellers in Japan have to offer. So if people like it, they will continue making it, and it will get them excited for a release in the place that they are from.
TMBounty_Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:16 pm Reply with quote
i have a 5Mbit internet connection and i abuse it fully. the only thing that stopped me so far is limited hard drive space due to lack of funds. but some people arent even stopped by that: click

anyways, like with every single thing in this world, there are good and bad parts to it.

good: the building up of a fanbase for the show before it is officially released here. the anime industry in North America wouldnt be anywhere near as popular today if it wasnt for fansubs.(and not only the high quality HDTV video we get now, but going waaaaaaaaaaay back to the days of VHS subs)

bad: the loss of profit because people are too cheap to buy it.

back in August this year, at CNAnime 2004, during a panel with Yoshitoshi Abe and Yasuyuki Ueda, i asked them a question about their opinion on fansubs. to make a long answer short and because my memory aint to good here's pretty much the answer i got: "If this continues, those who make anime might not see a point in making it anymore and the whole industry will implode. if it were just to disappear overnight, they wouldnt mind."

if you ask me, they have to take care of the bootleggers first before they go after the fansubbers.
deathbringer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:10 pm Reply with quote
ThatMatt wrote:
To me, downloading anime is like buying a baseball ticket from a scalper, you shouldn't do it.

I thought the reason you don't buy tickets from scalpers is because they're a rip off. Not because it's immoral. You know where to get fansubs? You have the ability to download them? You like anime? Then I don't see the problem. Maybe I just don't have morals, but if having morals means worrying about whether I should download fansubs or not, then I don't want to have morals.
Ramiel_X

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:53 pm Reply with quote
No downloading Fansubs. Because, if you download Fansubs, the terrorists have already won! Shocked
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:50 pm Reply with quote
To All: no offense, but we had more than enough discussions over the legal and / or moral issues of fansubs already. Over the years, no conclusion has been reached and I bet very few have been "converted" on either side.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3