• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds Deadman Wonderland, Steins;Gate, More

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:14 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Blood- wrote:
Believe me, I WANT people to read your pathetically feeble attempts to support the contention that Baccano! has a lot of deep characters. Laughing

Laughing So feeble in fact that you decided I was right.

"@ ikillchicken - okay, I agree that stuff is interesting. I can't remember now if the distinctions Ladd makes about who he kills blew by me when I watched the series or if I have simply forgotten about that aspect, but yes, I would agree that makes him somewhat more nuanced than what my memory of him was: a thug who revelled in violence purely for violence sake."

Anyway though, this is all pretty moot. You can come to whatever crazy, doublethink conclusion about that particular discussion.

Like I said, I'm hardly so arrogant as to claim that I've never been mistaken about anything.

No, ikillchicken, the point of me providing the link was so that other people - i.e. those who don't have a self-serving agenda to defend like you and I do, can arrive at their own conclusion by reading the entire exchange. You make it sound as if I agreed with your assertion that Baccano! was rife with deep characters, which I most certainly did not. To be honest, your floundering was so painful that I decided to be charitable and at least conceded - with reference to Ladd - that if your memory was better than mine, then yes, he would have a bit more nuance to him than just simply being a malignant thug who revelled in violence purely for its own sake. If you interpret that to mean that I agree with your ridiculous claim then you are even more boneheaded than I thought.

@ Surrender Artist - no, I don't believe that someone has to watch a show to completion to form an opinion about it. But ikillchicken made an obnoxious sweeping statement that Funi - again, apparently - scraped the bottom of barrel with the "absolute worst garbage." Pretty strong line to take. Knowing ikillchicken the way I do, I suspect he'd find Kampfer and Nyan Koi even more risible than Cat Planet Cuties or Yamada's First Time and those are Sentai titles. Am I being unreasonable that if you are going to post such a strong opinion that you at least watch, say ONE episode of the show in question?

As with all blow-hards, ikillchicken mixes in liberal doses of hypocrisy with his ignorance. I can easily imagine the scorn he would heap on a poster who dismissed Berserk as "absolute garbage" and then turned around and admitted he actually hadn't watched a frame of it him/herself. Yet, naturally, ikillchicken sees nothing wrong with doing the same. Brilliant.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I wouldn't say it was a smart show, but I did get a lot of laughs out of it. Humour, like a lot of things, is wildly subjective, so while I'm not surprised you or other people didn't find it funny, I am surprised that you somehow can't imagine other people enjoying it. Are you one of those people who simply can't imagine others having an opinion different than their own? That's kind of trite, actually.

Oh, SPARE me the antagonization, PLEASE! That's not even what I mean and you know it! If other people like this show for some reason, then fine, whatever! I'm not going to manipulate anyone to go to Japan and beat up the manga author and the people at Hal Film Maker who animated the show! I just don't LITERALLY understand what people find so hilarious that their own ribs were hurting. Okay? Sorry. Yamada along with the rest of the cast felt too one note to me and had about NO depth to them, the animation was too cheaply done for me to bear, and most of the intentional jokes just didn't make me laugh.

I don't understand why as an anime fan, I'm somehow "obligated" to watch everything, start to finish, no matter how unentertaining to me it is and then become infatuated with whatever I watch like everyone else who watched it for the same reasons. Dear fellow anime fans, stop making other people suddenly treat television consumption like an old-fashioned marriage or else you make them feel like horrible people! Laughing If I didn't like the show from the first episode (which I don't care what anyone thinks, the first episode of a show needs to entertain me for me to feel like watching more), then oh well, not my problem, nor is it anyone elses. I just wasn't entertained.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Sakurachan1 wrote:
Well there goes my all access to Steins & Deadman on Crunchy/Roku.

Yeah, just like Strike Witches 2, Fairy Tail, Sora no Otoshimono Forte, Linebarrels.........

Rolling Eyes

Quote:
I swear I cringe every time I see the words add or acquired followed by Funimation in the same sentence. Their "re-versioned" dubs are atrocious & irrelevant to any Anime fan with half a brain.

I particularly hate the way they tie you down, force headphones on you and make you to listen to them.

Quote:
Dear lord god what was that crap they did to Sengoku Basara - an already silly fighter show that was only good because of the great characterizations done by the Japanese cast... Now you can't find the classic for rent to save your life, because they want everyone to watch their horrible dub...

You need to report your rental company - they shouldn't be stealing audio tracks from the discs.
In the meantime, why not watch all 24 episodes subtitled on Hulu?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:59 pm Reply with quote
TJ_Kat wrote:
which is a little surprising considering how much attention they gave Tsubasa, and the story just isn't complete without xxxHolic too.

The problem with the xxxHOLiC anime, though, is that because it came out a year later than Tsubasa, and was, IIRC, done by a different company, there is no connect between the xxxHOLiC anime and Tsubasa until you get to the OAV (which were done by the same company as Tsubasa). Whereas Tsubasa gave you enough of the xxxHOLiC story (in what it covered) to understand what was going on. In fact, in the Outo arc of the first season, there's actually a scene in the Tsubasa anime that was in the xxxHOLiC manga and not the Tsubasa manga (it's Mokona talking with Yuuko about the Valentine's chocolate).
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
Blood- wrote:
I wouldn't say it was a smart show, but I did get a lot of laughs out of it. Humour, like a lot of things, is wildly subjective, so while I'm not surprised you or other people didn't find it funny, I am surprised that you somehow can't imagine other people enjoying it. Are you one of those people who simply can't imagine others having an opinion different than their own? That's kind of trite, actually.

Oh, SPARE me the antagonization, PLEASE! That's not even what I mean and you know it! If other people like this show for some reason, then fine, whatever! I'm not going to manipulate anyone to go to Japan and beat up the manga author and the people at Hal Film Maker who animated the show! I just don't LITERALLY understand what people find so hilarious that their own ribs were hurting. Okay? Sorry. Yamada along with the rest of the cast felt too one note to me and had about NO depth to them, the animation was too cheaply done for me to bear, and most of the intentional jokes just didn't make me laugh.

I don't understand why as an anime fan, I'm somehow "obligated" to watch everything, start to finish, no matter how unentertaining to me it is and then become infatuated with whatever I watch like everyone else who watched it for the same reasons. Dear fellow anime fans, stop making other people suddenly treat television consumption like an old-fashioned marriage or else you make them feel like horrible people! Laughing If I didn't like the show from the first episode (which I don't care what anyone thinks, the first episode of a show needs to entertain me for me to feel like watching more), then oh well, not my problem, nor is it anyone elses. I just wasn't entertained.

Okay, here's my point: everybody has their own opinion. If you say, "I didn't like that show for x, y and z reasons" then I have absolutely no quarrel with you even if I don't agree. But as soon as you say, "I didn't like that show ... and I can't imagine why anybody else would either" I feel you are going beyond merely expressing your own opinion and you are denigrating mine. Come on, why not just be forthright and say, "Anybody who likes this show has lousy taste?" That is certainly the implication. I tried two episodes of K-ON! and didn't like it. I'm certainly not on the wavelength of that show. Does that mean I can't understand anybody who does love it? Of course not. I'm older than 5, so I intuitively understand that other individuals, who a have a whole matrix of differing experiences and viewpoints from my own, may feel very differently. It seems like a simple concept.

And what are you raving about in terms of feeling "obligated" to watch shows? You didn't like B Gata H Kei, yet you watched the whole damn thing. So I'll ask again - did you have a gun pressed to your temple?
batou37

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:03 pm Reply with quote
The licensing of Steins;Gate was probably my largest hope for this convention, what a nice thing to come home from a bummer of a day at work and read about. I'm extremely glad to see that it has been picked up, but then I have to temper my excitement a bit when I think of the humongous backlog that Funi has as of now, including many shows that were acquired at the same convention last year. Hopefully it has a good BD release, or failing that if the JP version has english subs I might have to just pick that up instead of waiting until the 3rd or 4th quarter of 2012, or even possibly 2013 (that's not even considering the whole Mayan aspect to that......)
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:04 pm Reply with quote
batou37 wrote:
The licensing of Steins;Gate was probably my largest hope for this convention, what a nice thing to come home from a bummer of a day at work and read about. I'm extremely glad to see that it has been picked up, but then I have to temper my excitement a bit when I think of the humongous backlog that Funi has as of now, including many shows that were acquired at the same convention last year. Hopefully it has a good BD release, or failing that if the JP version has english subs I might have to just pick that up instead of waiting until the 3rd or 4th quarter of 2012, or even possibly 2013 (that's not even considering the whole Mayan aspect to that......)

I just got to thinking however, didn't funi pick up rail-gun and Index as well?? where the hell are they at?? that was nearly a year ago.. okay small rant over but the world isn't going to end >_> in 2012
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Okay, here's my point: everybody has their own opinion. If you say, "I didn't like that show for x, y and z reasons" then I have absolutely no quarrel with you even if I don't agree. But as soon as you say, "I didn't like that show ... and I can't imagine why anybody else would either" I feel you are going beyond merely expressing your own opinion and you are denigrating mine. Come on, why not just be forthright and say, "Anybody who likes this show has lousy taste?"

*sigh* Because that wasn't even what I was saying. I just can't understand what other people liked about the show so much since I technically didn't like it, that's all. Was I suppose to know somehow? Because I can't read minds, I can't already know everyone's taste in entertainment. Alright? I made my point clear already, I wasn't offending anyone's taste for the umpteenth time, move on!

Blood- wrote:
And what are you raving about in terms of feeling "obligated" to watch shows? You didn't like B Gata H Kei, yet you watched the whole damn thing. So I'll ask again - did you have a gun pressed to your temple?

No, so stop asking that already, please? I'm just aware of how anime fans easily like to pull that, "don't give an opinion before watching the whole thing," card among other arguments that I've seen driven to the ground. So in case I felt like expressing what I didn't like about that show, no one would have to give me that nonsense.

Last edited by Hypeathon on Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:22 pm; edited 3 times in total
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
No, ikillchicken, the point of me providing the link was so that other people - i.e. those who don't have a self-serving agenda to defend like you and I do, can arrive at their own conclusion by reading the entire exchange.

Yeah...I hate to break it to you but I don't think anyone else really cares.

Quote:
Blah blah blah you were wrong about Baccano

Okay man. If you think I was wrong then fine. I guess I was wrong. Congrats, you totally proved that one time I was wrong about something. I guess I'm not god himself. This is very disappointing news.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
Blood- wrote:
Okay, here's my point: everybody has their own opinion. If you say, "I didn't like that show for x, y and z reasons" then I have absolutely no quarrel with you even if I don't agree. But as soon as you say, "I didn't like that show ... and I can't imagine why anybody else would either" I feel you are going beyond merely expressing your own opinion and you are denigrating mine. Come on, why not just be forthright and say, "Anybody who likes this show has lousy taste?"

*sigh* Because that wasn't even what I was saying. I just can't understand what other people liked about the show so much since I technically didn't like it, that's all. Was I suppose to know somehow? Because I can't read minds, I can't already know everyone's taste in entertainment. Alright? I made my point clear already, I wasn't offending anyone's taste for the umpteenth time, move on!

Blood- wrote:

No, so stop asking that already, please? I'm just aware of how anime fans easily like to pull that, "don't give an opinion before watching the whole thing," card. So in case I felt like expressing what I didn't like about that show, no one would have to give me that nonsense.

1) You claim you were saying you can't imagine why some people liked B Gata H Kei in the hopes that somebody might be able to make you understand something that your own experience couldn't provide for you? Laughing What a load. No, you posed the question because it annoys you that some people find the show funny and you wanted to be sure that people knew you weren't among those poor benighted souls who actually were able to carve out some larfs from it.

2) Sure, I'll stop asking why you watched a show to completion that you didn't like. But as for you watching it just so that some hypothetical poster in the future couldn't upbraid for not watching the whole thing - Laughing You are so full of ... psychological improbabilities.

@ ikillchicken, re:

Quote:
Yeah...I hate to break it to you but I don't think anyone else really cares.

You may very well be right. Nonetheless, just in case there is a person or two with time on their hands, the unedited, full exchange is there for them to read and make their own judgment free from both your and my biased interpretation. As I said before, you can't get more fair than that.
Crisha

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Y'know, I was wondering why this thread had more post counts than Aniplex's announcements thread. It's an all-out b****fest. Laughing

All right, break it up, ladies, break it up.

Anyways, happy about [C], interested in Steins;Gate, and already knew about Last Exile but still pleased.

I'm still perturbed though about no announcement for Tatami Galaxy. :/

And the only thing that could beat Madoka Magica's announcement would be a Dennou Coil announcement from someone.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
You are so full of ... psychological improbabilities.

And you put words into people's mouthes waaaaay too often to the point where you can't seem to accept any answer other than what you want to hear. Because really, I don't get what the hell you want me to say at this point.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
Because really, I don't get what the hell you want me to say at this point.

Well if I understand correctly, he's mad at me because I didn't watch enough of the show before criticizing it...and he's mad at you because you watched too much of the show to be criticizing it.

He's a regular Goldie Locks, this one. Rolling Eyes
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:15 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Hypeathon wrote:
Because really, I don't get what the hell you want me to say at this point.

Well if I understand correctly, he's mad at me because I didn't watch enough of the show before criticizing it...and he's mad at you because you watched too much of the show to be criticizing it.

He's a regular Goldie Locks, this one. Rolling Eyes

Not even close. I wasn't "mad" at Hypeathon for watching too much of a show he didn't like. I was puzzled by it. And you can't blame me for not buying his claim that the only reason he persisted is so that, in the future, nobody could blame him for not giving it a fair shake. Do you buy that? Laughing

I'm not "mad" at you for not watching "enough" of a show before criticizing it. I'm irritated because you make sweeping statements like "as usual, Funi has scraped the bottom of the barrel with absolute garbage" without seeing ANY of the shows you are talking about. And then claiming it's fine, because you've read reviews that back up your opinion. Laughing

So let me ask you, ikillchicken - if a poster said he or she thought Beserk was "absolute garbage" based on stuff he or she had read about it, but hadn't bothered to check out a single frame of the show, what would you think of that poster?
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
^I'm sorry, I tried to read that with a straight face for as long as could...

...then I saw "Decepticon" and I'm afraid I just couldn't hold the laughter in anymore.

Some excellent nonsensical trolling there.
I disagree. I'd say it was actually a seriously shitty nonsensical trolling attempt by some uninformed bitch, at best. Just my opinion, though. Laughing

Last edited by Sanosuke_Inara on Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:08 am; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10