• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Main Descendants of Darkness Manga Series to Resume

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rukiia

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:28 am Reply with quote
Keep in mind that it might just be a different style that she chose to submit for the magazine cover. Don't be quick to judge. Wait till the new chapter releases first before jumping to conclusions.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Beni_Hime

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:26 am Reply with quote
wow! Why are people so upset over the way she draws now? And I want to point out, as someone who draws, after 8 years of drawing your style is bound to change!

And wow, someone said, "After 8 years of NOT drawing.." Seriously? I think if she hadn't drawn in 8 years you'd be achin' over that fact that it looks like crap and not that her style has changed. In fact, I doubt she would've gotten any jobs!! All that muscle memory is gonna loose it's edge after "8 years of NOT drawing."

It's been 8 years! Style changes! unless you know, you absolutely still wanted to draw the same as when you began! As an artist, I know this phenomena happens!

How many of you have picked up a manga series, read it for years and noticed that the artist's style and technique becomes.. well, improved? I can't be the only one with eyes!

I will stand up for Matsushita's art here. Sure, her art is beautiful(I can only imagine how much more so it has become). In fact I was intrigued by the fact that she seems to be one of the few that actually knows how to realistically draw animals.. LOL. By having this glimpse of Hisoka and Tsuzuki here on the cover, it looks like her take on people has matured. Certainly not the big doe-eyed people that you are all use to. It definitely looks more serious. (and I definitely welcome it.)

I say, Whatever! I look forward to it! And I will certainly pick it up when it rolls around onto our shores! Thank You Matsushita for bringing "Yami no Matsuei," back!!!! Domo Arigatou Gozaimasu!!! Very Happy
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:22 am Reply with quote
If you go to The Hana to Yume's site and look at the preview of the bonus chapter, you'll see that yes, this is the style she's using for the book.

While I can understand styles changing, as it changed over the course of the book, there's a difference in a style evolving, and completely changing the look of the characters, to the point where even big fans have problems identifying them.

I RP Hisoka, and these are my icons. You can see a difference in style between early stuff like Street Smart and Not a Kid (volumes 1 & 2), middle stuff like Tired (vol. 5, IIRC) and Angry (vol. 7), and late stuff like Annoyed and Thoughtful (which are volume 11 and further).

Yes, it's my own coloring, not hers, but I sampled from full-color images. But all of those icons are clearly Hisoka. I have sketches by Kyoko Tsuchiya that, if I didn't know better, I'd swear were Hisoka. Because certain factors such as eye size, hair style, etc. were the same.

Even with the black and white images, the style is jarring enough to obscure any similarities (Hisoka has always had larger eyes than other characters, now they're tiny). When you add in the color image, where she has changed even the hair, skin, and eye colors of the characters (well, Tsuzuki's hair was black in the anime, so that's not so bad), it makes the characters barely recognizable, if that.

I don't necessarily think that the artwork is 'ugly', as sakuragtin does, but I definitely think it's a step back, and rather flat (interesting aside, I showed a comparison picture between that cover and an older piece in a chat, and the people thought the older art was the newer one, and thought it was a drastic improvement). Saturn is not the first person I've seen who's had to do a double-take (I did as well), and by far is not going to be the last.

At this point, since it's been so long since the series went on hiatus, and obviously longer since it was started, I would compare this to Naoko Takeuchi going on hiatus in the middle of Sailorstars, and then coming back in the mid 2000s, and her art suddenly looks like Minekura's Saiyuki, or something. The distinct style and look of the characters are icon to the series. You see the original artwork, and if you know the series, you know that the artwork is YnM. We've already proven that people who know that the new artwork is YnM are having trouble believing it.
Crisha

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Well, I personally didn't have trouble recognizing that they were Tsuzuki and Hisoka on the cover. After seeing the bonus chapters she made within the past 8 years, I knew her style was changing. And while I liked her old style, I also like Matsushita's newer style here.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to the continuation of the series. I wonder if her story-telling style is going to change as well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sakuragtin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:31 pm Reply with quote
I admit "ugly" is too strong of a word to say about the new art style. It's cute in its own right but in comparison to the previous volumes and the story line itself, let's say it's a little too cutesy and very very different, nothing gradual about it. Descendants of Darkness is one of my favorite manga so I am excited about it but fearful that the drastic change in the artstyle will translate into a drastic change in the storyline.
Sai65

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:47 am Reply with quote
OMGG YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSsssssssssssssss

Her style has indeed changed and I preferred her older style coz back then she makes Muraki so smxy to look at...now he is just... PRETTY. LOL. I DONT MIND THAT TOO. >W<

And yes, NO TROUBLE recognising Tsuzuki and Hisoka!!

Ahhhhh i cant wait till it comes out~ anyone know the date of release? This is going to be so interesting to where the story would go after all this time!!! Anime hyper
chichiri_chan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:29 am Reply with quote
I personally agree with sakuragtin that the art style is pretty ugly. Bluntly put, I never would have started reading YnM if that was her original art style. I know the art isn't everything for a manga, but you have to admit, it is important. I was originally really happy about her restarting the series, but after reading those preview pages I almost wish she'd let it end where it did--with everyone still beautiful.

I understand perfectly that art styles change over time. I have been drawing and painting for a very long time, so I'm familiar with that from personal experience. Sometimes the style changes for the better and sometimes it changes for the worse. What you have to remember is that as a professional artist, especially in the world of manga, you need to keep your audience happy. It will be interesting to see how her Japanese readers and fans take to this change...
kayue

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:52 pm Reply with quote
I do have to agree that the new art style isn't to my taste. like chichiri_chan, I probably would have passed such a book by without even picking it up to look at. (It's sort of how Sanami Matoh's sharp well defined style changed from FAKE to FAKE II's almost generic look.) YnM's characters may not be ugly... but just plain plain. Sad

To my eyes, Tsuzuki has lost a lot a lot of the sex appeal that had everyone panting over him, and Hisoka looks like an ordinary 12 years old. They look more like their SD forms in what little I could see of them.

Still, I'll probably read the series if I get a chance. I own all of the original books (yellowed but intact), and I want to see how the story turns out. While I like the fantasy world (especially the shikigami!), I hope they return to the real world soon.

And wrap up the @#$% storyline!
Shirokaze

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:03 am Reply with quote
i'll have to agree with chirichiri, the art right now is... ugh.
asato looks horrible Anime cry
it would have been better is she just released novels to continue the story, instead of this art style ._.
i'm sorry to say this but, if this actually gets released in english i will not buy it ._.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2