• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What do you say to yourself when watching anime ?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Willuknight
SPAMMER

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 3:45 am Reply with quote
i was just muttering to myslef while watchingsomething the other day, and i wondered if anyone else talks to their anime ?

the words i usually use (in order of usuage) are:

Baka
kawaiiiiiiiii
F*tard
hen
(weird)

"Stop stuffing around and do it already you moron"

and occasionally: "DIE ALREADY YOU ANNOYING PIECE OF SHIT"

I this this interesting, becase i've never been the type to talk to the tv or movie......

Anyone else got any words they mutter ?
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 3:54 am Reply with quote
Don't take this the wrong way, kiddo - but I think you need a break from anime.... Rolling Eyes

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Willuknight
SPAMMER

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 4:03 am Reply with quote
lol.. yeah i know i sound weird, but its true...

I'm not usually shouting this stuff out, but i do think that kind of thing a lot... For example i've been watching Aishiteruze Baby and i kept on saying to myself Kawaiii about 4x an episode Very Happy

And "DIE ALREADY YOU ANNOYING PIECE OF SHIT" was something that kept popping up in my thoughts while i was wathcing Ai Yori Aoshi......

and who can forget baka.... every anime has someone that you need to call a baka... its irreplaceable to watching anime... at least for people who watch subs
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 4:26 am Reply with quote
Hmm. I suppose it all hangs on whether or not you actually speak Japanese, or whether those are the only words you happen to know.

Tell me, do you use that limited Japanese vocabulary in conversation with other English-speaking anime enthusiasts? Or do you just speak regular English?

I've met people who don't speak more than the basic anime-Japanese vocabulary (10-15 words or phrases, including baka and kawaii), but who pepper their conversation with them - presumably to establish some form of "otaku street cred". Rolling Eyes It always strikes me a slightly silly.

I'm not above singing an anime theme song to myself, when I'm cooking or doing DIY work or stuff - but then again, I know the language, and I actually understand what I'm singing.

Still, "different strokes for different folks" - if you feel good about yelling baka at your telly, then by all means do so.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Willuknight
SPAMMER

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 4:42 am Reply with quote
I say baka and Kawaii sometimes on IM, but not IRL.

I only know about 200 or so japanese words, but i'm learning more all the time....

I've only just started siging along with some theme songs, mainly becaus now i can actually pronounce the words...

Anyway, this is getting off topic..

I say (not yell) baka sometimes because the character really is acting like an idiot, and sometimes i want to comment on that.. to myself...

I'm not sitting there watching something like Azumanga Dioh and saying baka, baka, baka ect.

A better example is Aishiteruze Baby , i mean Yuzuyu is just soo cute sometime that you just can't help commenting on it... i mean she sooo cute Smile
elniro

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 5:53 am Reply with quote
I don't say things out loud, i just think it. Most of time i end up predicting what's gonna happen next, because sometimes its just so predictable, few times i'll say "what an idiot" or something like that.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 6:01 am Reply with quote
Willuknight wrote:
I say baka and Kawaii sometimes on IM, but not IRL.

I only know about 200 or so japanese words, but i'm learning more all the time....

Good for you - if you want, I could recommend some good introductory texts and a few serious websites.

Willuknight wrote:
I've only just started siging along with some theme songs, mainly becaus now i can actually pronounce the words...

Heheh. Google "mondegreen", and you'll see why I think it's important to understand what you're singing.

Willuknight wrote:
Anyway, this is getting off topic..

Not that far off-topic, I think.

Willuknight wrote:
I say (not yell) baka sometimes because the character really is acting like an idiot, and sometimes i want to comment on that.. to myself...

I'm not sitting there watching something like Azumanga Dioh and saying baka, baka, baka ect.

Well, Tomo-chan isn't on-screen all the time... Wink

Willuknight wrote:
A better example is Aishiteruze Baby , i mean Yuzuyu is just soo cute sometime that you just can't help commenting on it... i mean she sooo cute Smile

Indisputably true. I'm crazy about that series.

- abunai
Perfectsword

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 6:31 am Reply with quote
When im watching anime im usually quiet, but at times i kind of say "you damn ignoramous" or somthing like that, somtimes the characters just seem to do stupid things that the creators never should have done Confused .
inevitable^destiny

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:55 am Reply with quote
lately i do tend to spit out a few words at the screen when i'm watching anime too... such as "kawaii" (i said that a lot while watching D.N.Angel especially, With is too cute!) Anime exclamation
n other comments like "arrrgh!" and "come on!!" when i'm really frustrated with a certain scene... which happens a lot Rolling Eyes
itz weird, especially when somebody else catches me yelling at juz some tv or computer screen... i guess itz not so normal to others but hey, it means that i'm really absorbed in the anime. Wink besides, i'm normally quiet... except for juz those few incidents... hehehe
Giiizmo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 4:17 pm Reply with quote
"God what a dork I am" sometimes pops in my mind when watching Anime, usually things like Excel Saga or any other Anime which doesn't make a lot of sense. I also feel the need to kick myself in the arse for enjoying once in a while shows like Love Hina simply because the pictures are puuuurdy. Yeah, I'm a sucker for eye-candy; until my wallet's survival instinct kicks in.
SwordsmanYen

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 4:31 pm Reply with quote
I'm really interested in studying the language, i'm a complete novice, but i am full of enthusiasum for learning it, if you wouldn't recommending where i could start. i understand that its not as easy as reading a book and bingo, there she is.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 4:32 pm Reply with quote
I've been known to yell at characters on the screen a time or two, especially on days where I have a low tolerance for stupidity.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Iron Chef

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 5:14 pm Reply with quote
I'm in the same boat as Swordsman. I'll hear a sentence (or usually a short utterance) and say, "Wait, what tense was that verb? How was it translated?" :: takes notes :: "Okay, back to the show."

On some occasions, such as when watching Elfen Lied or Saikano, I'll blurt out an, "OH DEAR GOD!!!!" at some form of anguish I'm watching. The latest episode of Gantz also prompted a few of those from me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Willuknight
SPAMMER

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 5:16 pm Reply with quote
also someone pointed out another one to me (i can't believe i overlooked it)

"just one more episode and then i'll go to sleep/work/study/chores....."

"Nooo, quick, wheres the next episode"
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Giiizmo wrote:
"God what a dork I am" sometimes pops in my mind when watching Anime, usually things like Excel Saga or any other Anime which doesn't make a lot of sense. I also feel the need to kick myself in the arse for enjoying once in a while shows like Love Hina simply because the pictures are puuuurdy. Yeah, I'm a sucker for eye-candy; until my wallet's survival instinct kicks in.

Amen.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2