• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Noir Anime Gets Live-Action TV Series Green-Lit at Starz

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:50 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
To me, Yuki Kajiura's music is what makes Noir. So even though I'm sure that the action and story from the anime could very easily be formatted into a live-action TV series (such as the afforementioned Nikita), I just don't know how I'll feel watching a shootout without Salva Nos or Canta Per Me playing.

That's something that I'm wondering and slightly worried about too. "Salva Nos" and "Canta Per Me" were both quite memorable songs and I'd even miss some more obscure ones like "Secret Game" I wonder what they'll choose for an opening theme, if they don't eschew one outright. "Coppelia's Casket" is half of the reason why I became interested in Noir in the first place.

Egan Loo wrote:
By green-lighting the project and giving a series order (not just a pilot), Starz put up the money so it can go into production.

So it is a series order. Very excellent.

John Casey wrote:
Can't wait to see what cameo they'll have in store for Bruce Campbell.

I would guess: Man who gets shot #7

errinundra wrote:
I don't think it's absolutely necessary they remain faithful to the plot - the important thing is the relationship between Mireille and Kirika. Given that, the casting will be crucial to its success.

I agree with that. They'll almost need to retain the broad strokes of the Soldats and Altena's grand retour, but the path of the relationship between the two characters was what best held my interest in Noir. When I think of what scenes I would want to see adapted, it's almost all instances like the rejection and reconciliation from "The Darkness Within Me" and the critical moment at the end of "Morning Without Dawn". Although it would be great to see Kirika stab a man in the jugular vein with the temple of his own spectacles and Mireille's, "hi," scene from "The Black Thread of Fate". I'd want for it to have its own version of "The Moonlit Tea Party" was well.

I hope that they keep the same guns too. It would just seem wrong for them to be armed with something other than a Beretta M1934 and Walther P99.

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:17 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tenebrae

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:26 am Reply with quote
Hooo boy. The only thing to look forward in this is how badly they will mess it up.
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:32 am Reply with quote
I also enjoyed the anime enough to pick up the box set. I only hope they keep close to the plot line and seek people who fit the roles.

But this is a good thing.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:37 am Reply with quote
I'm looking forward to this, since Noir was my favorite series not even sure if I get Starz though.

The real question though is "When is it coming out?"

Last edited by Kruszer on Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:40 am; edited 1 time in total
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:39 am Reply with quote
yet i wonder who they going to cast on it?

give known noir characters are Kirika, Mireille, Chloe, & Altena.

besides can you imagine they look in live action?

also wonder will they have cameo from their seiyu & english va like a shout out or something?
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:50 am Reply with quote
Who the hell is bringing up old topics that are 5 years old?

Wait what?

Someone actually green-lit a 2001 anime in 2011? Why? How many anime fans even remember Noir? I can understand this being green-lit in 2004 when anime was considered cool but it's 2011 and anime has been rendered a complete joke.
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:57 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Who the hell is bringing up old topics that are 5 years old?

Wait what?

Someone actually green-lit a 2001 anime in 2011? Why? How many anime fans even remember Noir? I can understand this being green-lit in 2004 when anime was considered cool but it's 2011 and anime has been rendered a complete joke.

well give i saw series dub version last year give ok series.

besides who knows it might interest those who are not familiar with it they might also check anime version as well.

& yet wonder how full based will stay on anime route give then been live action anime got original made part in live action like original live action character not seen in anime version.

overall wait & hear new news, cast, etc about it for now.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:13 am Reply with quote
Well Noir is a great anime but as a live action show I dont know maybe it will be good but I wouldnt know since I dont have starz here
Arsenette

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:35 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
To me, Yuki Kajiura's music is what makes Noir. So even though I'm sure that the action and story from the anime could very easily be formatted into a live-action TV series (such as the afforementioned Nikita), I just don't know how I'll feel watching a shootout without Salva Nos or Canta Per Me playing.

I hope they can get the soundtrack.. but doubtful in this day and age..

Also count me as surprised as others on how old this license is.. curious though what they will do with it. Or if they plan to drag it out like they did with the original series.. Laughing
Quark

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:38 am Reply with quote
TopGunman wrote:
Sam Raimi, the guy who made the God-awful Spiderman movies....not looking forward to it one bit.

Sam Raimi, the guy who made the awesome Evil Dead trilogy, and Drag Me to Hell...I'm totally looking forward to this.
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:51 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
John Casey wrote:
Sam Raimi and Rob Tapert!? Shocked Shocked Shocked

There's zero excuse to screw this one up.

Some lesbian friends are already looking forward to this. Laughing

As are many straight men... For the same reasons ;3

With this being produced by Starz (I read that right, yes?) there's NO reason said "reasons" can't or won't be front and center.

Live-action yuri? I say: please and thank you.
John Casey

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:05 pm Reply with quote
It'd be, I dunno, nice, if some of you haters had a base to go on...
anne_elise

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:16 pm Reply with quote
One of the worst ideas ever. Starz is going to find out what failure REALLY feels like.

Stop making live action versions of anime. They all suck. End of discussion.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:23 pm Reply with quote
GTO live-action (the series) was awesome. You can't say they all suck.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Quark wrote:
TopGunman wrote:
Sam Raimi, the guy who made the God-awful Spiderman movies....not looking forward to it one bit.

Sam Raimi, the guy who made the awesome Evil Dead trilogy, and Drag Me to Hell...I'm totally looking forward to this.

Yeah I've liked a lot of this guy's projects and he's also done good things when he's worked with Tapert so I'm actually interested in seeing how they do this since Noir was great and they actually might not have to skimp on the action to the usual extent due to budget since it's more stunts than heavy CGI needs.

Agreed, it would be cool if they would try to get some of the music, or at least some of the key tracks at least.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5