• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
who can't stand "fanservice"?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
svinya

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:06 pm Reply with quote
so the plot, art, and characters are not good enough to sell the series? you have to pump it full of rather ridiculous sex appeal?
Anime hyper
Wiesteria

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:48 pm Reply with quote
ME!!! Can't stand it, whether it's in shoujo or shounen. That's why, by extension, I usually never read harem manga.
ReaKon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:49 am Reply with quote
It sure doesn't do anything for me. In small amounts, I am able to ignore it. If it is done to excess, it takes away from the storyline a little. I still have yet to read Highschool of the Dead, even though I enjoy zombie apocalypses a lot, as it is said to have loads of fan service. (I have ordered volume 1 to give it a shot though) .
Anymouse

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Seconded. It ruined Evangelion for me, and it also has a problem being just about the only thing contained in some works. Such as Negima.

Quote:
That's why, by extension, I usually never read harem manga.
I tried a "simple" "Love triangle" story, Whimsical Orange Road, because I was told it was a "classic". Standard immature teeny bopper crap, except the phones weren't mobile.
anime racket

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:33 pm Reply with quote
I hate fanservice. Absolutely hate it. It's really the only thing that
keeps me from watching shows like Gunbuster and fullmetal panic.
GeekOfOz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:54 am Reply with quote
I can tolerate fan service but at times its REALLY distracting and somewhat insulting.

I really want to read and watch Highschool of the Dead because I love me some zombie action. Sadly the overt fan service has put me off.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:48 am Reply with quote
I find it more annoying in anime, actually. Maybe it's hypocritical of me, but I can appreciate the occasional well-drawn pin-up in a manga. (Seraphic Feather comes to mind.) But the jiggling that often accompanies fanservice in anime really turns me off. (Note to animators: breasts are not filled with air. They do not float and must obey the laws of gravity.) That said, total gratuitous fanservice bothers me, like the covers to some of the Gantz chapters. Is there really a point to showing the girl mostly naked when it has little-to-nothing to do with the story?

But I ramble. Bottom line is, anatomically correct, occasional fanservice doesn't bother me. Excessive and/or random does.
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:01 am Reply with quote
anime racket wrote:
I hate fanservice. Absolutely hate it. It's really the only thing that
keeps me from watching shows like Gunbuster and fullmetal panic.
I would be happy to continue this over in the anime section, but the fanservice in Gunbuster and Fullmetal Panic are of quite different natures. The fanservice in Fullmetal Panic is sporadic and completely unnecessary; you can very well say, "I like Fullmetal Panic, but find the fanservice silly and offensive," if you like. The fanservice in Gunbuster on the other hand is an essential part of it, and is thematically charged (as well as being groundbreaking in its execution).
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:02 am Reply with quote
I don't mind it one bit Smile
eyevocal

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:14 am Reply with quote
Like it, actually. I'm funny that way. Can't say that I disagree that it's getting pretty overused, though.
st_owly

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:50 pm Reply with quote
It doesn't particularly bother me, except when it's excessive or completely unnecessary. I remember one panel in the manga Remote, when the main character is being sexually harassed by her boss, and he is spanking her, but the panel is drawn looking up her (short) skirt. Just no.
oneshot_princess

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:06 am Reply with quote
It doesn't bother me, either. But then, I did just finish watching High School of the Dead; and I go into reading "smut" knowing darn well it's "smut"... I guess I'm just desensitized to it after all this time, maybe. There came a point where it was more, "Oh, that's a really cute bra/pair of panties," or "Gollygeez I'm glad I'm not lugging those things around," and that's about it. And yeah, I think it's become almost expected, that it'll happen at least once in just about any manga/anime--some a little more extreme than others (and--bytheway--to the "censors": honey Rolling Eyes we all know what's behind that steam). Smile
Touma

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:56 am Reply with quote
I like fanservice, the more the better.
Fanservice is something that is added strictly to appeal to (or service) the fans. I am a fan and I want things that appeal to me.
I cannot think of anything that I have ever read that would be made worse by the addition of fan service, and a lot of things that have been made better by it.

I am speaking of fanservice in general, but if you want to limit the definition to "sex appeal" I would still feel the same.
I doubt that I would still be reading "Negima!" if not for the fanservice. There are a lot of other things that I like about the series but they would probably not be enough to get my time and money if the girls were flat-chested, ugly and kept their clothes on all of the time.

In my opinion, whether fanservice is "good" or "bad" depends upon your personal preference for the type of fanservice that you are seeing. Which makes it just like everything else in manga, and anime.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jsc315

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
I like fanservice, the more the better.
Fanservice is something that is added strictly to appeal to (or service) the fans. I am a fan and I want things that appeal to me.
I cannot think of anything that I have ever read that would be made worse by the addition of fan service, and a lot of things that have been made better by it.

I am speaking of fanservice in general, but if you want to limit the definition to "sex appeal" I would still feel the same.
I doubt that I would still be reading "Negima!" if not for the fanservice. There are a lot of other things that I like about the series but they would probably not be enough to get my time and money if the girls were flat-chested, ugly and kept their clothes on all of the time.

In my opinion, whether fanservice is "good" or "bad" depends upon your personal preference for the type of fanservice that you are seeing. Which makes it just like everything else in manga, and anime.

You do realize for the most part "fan-service" is meant to distract you and take you away from the bad or flawed story witting, just to keep you interested in the show/manga.

Any manga that I read that had fan service or at least a good amount of it usually had very flawed story and just was a big distraction. It's more obvious in manga when the writing is bad since it all there on the page for you, and to throw panty shots and big breasted girl in just to try to distract me from the story or lack of, is just an insult to the reader. I don't mind it here and there but when it becomes a distraction is when it becomes a issue.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Touma

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:39 pm Reply with quote
jsc315 wrote:
You do realize for the most part "fan-service" is meant to distract you and take you away from the bad or flawed story witting, just to keep you interested in the show/manga.

No I do not realize that, not at all.
Do you have anything to support that accusation?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2