• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Neon Genesis Evangelion

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheDamaja

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 3:09 pm Reply with quote
hey everyone.

i have been looking at the Neon Genesis Evangelion series of dvd's and am thinking about buying some of them, but im not quite sure where to start. is there a certain dvd i should buy to get started or just go straight to any one??

http://www.play.com/play247.asp?searchtype=r2title&searchstring=Neon+Genesis+Evangelion&page=search&Go.x=18&Go.y=14

on here it has the movies, and then it has "collection 01" "collection 02" "collection 03" etc etc. so i suppose it would make sense to start from the beginning?? but im not sure

any help would be appreciated

thanks
Pathfinder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 3:17 pm Reply with quote
The movies are really remakes of the last episodes, made after the series finished (good to watch though, certainly better than the original which, at least for me, still make little sense). You're best off starting with the first DVDs since NGE has a progressing story - it's a great series and a recommended buy Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ICQ Number
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 3:44 pm Reply with quote
You definately need to start from the beginning. As Pathfinder said, the movies come after the series. If you don't mind waiting to see the whole thing, then I would recommend getting the Platinum Edition as the discs come out. If you don't want to wait, then you can buy the original release (Collection 1, 2, etc.) a bit at a time, or get the boxset. But just to warn you, the original release has some video probs, mainly the screen jitters it's famous for. The Plat Edition is about 100 times better, and the 5.1 helps too.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Hmm. Well, seeing as how you're in the U.K., might I make a suggestion?

I don't know if you're willing to wait a little, but if you like to be picky about both audio and video presentation, and have a surround system to boot, then I recommend you import the U.S. Region 1 NTSC releases labeled, "Neon Genesis Evangelion: Platinum Series."

To my knowledge, these remasters that are being re-released here in America are the best versions of the series you can find outside of the mind blowing prices for the Japanese R2 versions.

Trust me, the video is extraordinarily sharper and much more colorful than the old DVDs, and, it now supports an awesome Dolby Digital 5.1 track for both languages. Pending of course, on whether or not you have a surround sound system though. Razz

It's the best I've seen this series look, and I highly recommend you try to get these version, if you can.

As for a timeline. Yeah, you'll want to start from the beginning, and then get the movies afterwards, as it is a very deep and methodical style of storytelling, with a lot of interaction that needs to be seen in order to understand everything. In other words, go in this order:

TV series
Movie: Death and Rebirth
Movie: The End of Evangelion

Good luck and happy viewing! Wink
Bruce Lee

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I'd have to agree with the Platinum release. As somebody who's seen the whole series on subbed VHS the original DVD, and the first Platinum DVD, it's a thousand times better.
However, I'd reccomend to not watch eps 25 and 26, as they are very confusing, and a deffinate let down from all that's been built leading up to then. After you watch the movies, though, those episodes kind of make more sense.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Bruce Lee wrote:

However, I'd reccomend to not watch eps 25 and 26, as they are very confusing, and a deffinate let down from all that's been built leading up to then. After you watch the movies, though, those episodes kind of make more sense.

I disagree with this, what happens in eps 25 and 26 is the same thing that's going on in EoE, but mostly internally, while EoE is mostly externally. While you could watch them in reverse order, I think it's easier to match up what's going on if you watch it in that order. Of course, that is my opinion, but that is how the series was layed out.
Spintii

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Yeah start with the series first and then watch "End of Evangelion"

Bit of warning (and Im sure I'll get some flack for this) the early episodes feature some lame humor......just the typical cliche anime humor- embarrasment over body parts, wacky hijinks with a crazy roomate, etc.

But here's the thing: By the end of of the series and the end of the movie, those same scenes won't strike you as a attempt at humor anymore. They''ll be grist for the main charcter's psychological mill. Trust me Wink Enough rambling, go watch!
Slayer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Yes I would have to agree to start from the beginning. Possibly get the platinum edition or just go on ebay and buy the dvds used. Also get ENd of Evangelion. THat one has more to do with the story then Death and Rebirth. If you dont start from the beginning you will have problems understanding the story. I watched End of Evangelion before the series and It was kinda confusing but I knew the story pretty well so I didn't have too much problems
manuverse

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Collection: 01
Collection: 02
Collection: 03
Collection: 04
Collection: 05
Collection: 06
Collection: 07
Collection: 08
Death and Rebirth
End of Evangelion

Of course i suggest waiting til ADV finishes releasing the Eva Platinum set. Instead of buy 8 discs you buy 6 and get the series in its remastered form (Plus i think the directors cut is included in latter volumes). Or you could get the Perfect Collection like i did. Either way youll have to buy the movies seperate.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:59 pm Reply with quote
manuverse wrote:
Of course i suggest waiting til ADV finishes releasing the Eva Platinum set. Instead of buy 8 discs you buy 6 and get the series in its remastered form (Plus i think the directors cut is included in latter volumes). Or you could get the Perfect Collection like i did. Either way youll have to buy the movies seperate.

Actually, Eva Platinum will be 7 volumes, which isn't as good as 6, but is still better than 8. Wink
logboy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 4:15 am Reply with quote
i think i know what this uk thread-starter is getting at : i want to buy the series too... look at the listing he's linked to at play.com it says "remastered" and "directors cut episodes" suggesting theyre the same as the platinum editions currently being issued stateside.. .thing is play.com are using the old picture of the old boxset cos thats all they have, and ADV films haven't answered my question about this issue. the uk set is better VFM than importing if theyre the same discs as these new usa ones...
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 4:52 am Reply with quote
logboy wrote:
i think i know what this uk thread-starter is getting at : i want to buy the series too... look at the listing he's linked to at play.com it says "remastered" and "directors cut episodes" suggesting theyre the same as the platinum editions currently being issued stateside..

The listing on play.com of Collections 1 -8 are the original Eva release, not remastered or anything. The Director's Cuts are simply the last 6 eps (although only 4 are actually changed), not even remastered really, but rather simply the original 6 eps that ADV (which were taken from the Japanese TV masters), and the eps taken from the home video Japanese release (which contains some extra scenes that also explain some things seen in the movies). Neither the 8 DVDs and boxset, nor the Director's Cuts, are the Platinum Edition currently being sold here. The Platinum Edition contains the series completely remastered, and with a 5.1 audio mix. Both the Director's Cuts and original episodes are being included in this edition. (which looks and sounds 1,000 times better than the original)
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 2:34 am Reply with quote
I have been looking forward to this seeing this series and I basically am going to wait for the plat series since everyone here speaks so highly of it, question about the series. Series in general what does it watch like? Lastly do they plan on making a box set of plat after they finish releasing them all?
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 3:42 am Reply with quote
I liked Evangellion a lot, excellent series, not a masterpiece but definitely entertaining and engaging nonetheless. You can pretty much skip Death and Rebirth as all it does is retell the last couple of episodes in one half and the other half is shown again in End of Evangellion. All you really need is the 26 episode series and End of Evangellion in my opinion.
Glory Questor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Well, here is my two cents.

The series is pretty good. I didn't think the humor was bad (Episode 8 was just drop-dead funny), and the heavy stuff really just sinks in subtly as the show moves from it's generic anime beginning into a very philosophical and religious tale.

Certainly collect the Platinum edition. You really can't go wrong with this one -- the cleaned-up visuals alone are worth it.

Also, for all Evangelion fans who haven't yet read it, I highly recommend EVA: R.

It's a continuation of the original 26-episode series that introduces new characters while moving the old characters onward. Also, near the end of the story is a split-off -- the original EVA: R, that cleverly incorporates The End of Evangelion into the new storyline in a nice way, and EVA: R' (EVA: R Prime) that ignores the movies and goes in a unique direction.

EVA: R is an ADV affiliate, and has select fan manga and fan movies, as well as radio plays with some voice content from Tiffany Grant.

If you have not read this fan fiction before, what are you waiting for: http://www.eva-r.com
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2