• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Haibane Renmei

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Akemi_Idaku

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 10:40 pm Reply with quote
The Japanese title for Haibane Renmei, 灰羽連盟, can be literally translated to Haihane Renmei which means Gray Feathers Federation. Where did bane come from? Bane literally translates to spring. I still like the name the way it is though.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 10:51 pm Reply with quote
No idea, but this would be a better suited topic for the anime forum.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Akemi_Idaku wrote:
The Japanese title for Haibane Renmei, 灰羽連盟, can be literally translated to Haihane Renmei which means Gray Feathers Federation. Where did bane come from? Bane literally translates to spring. I still like the name the way it is though.

Both bane (ばね) and hane (はね) ARE "feather" (羽).

The question about why hane becomes bane, is the difference of voiced or unvoiced consonant. Adding a dakuten (濁点) marker turns an unvoiced consonant into a voiced consonant, in particular it changes k→g, t→d, s→z, and h→b. If a syllable is pronounced with no consonant or with an unvoiced consonant, the consonant of the syllable immediately following it has to be turned to a voiced one, otherwise it will become very difficult to pronounce. This is same in English and many other languages. Try to pronounce "staff" with letter "t" as it is -- you'll find it very strange. Only if you twist the "t" into "d" (the respective voiced consonant) can you pronounce it easily ("sdaff"). Other common examples are "kawa" and "gawa" (川 or 河).

Reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiragana

P.S. I've never taken any formal Japanese language class. What I've said is based on my observation and from various sources. Please let me know if I've made any mistake. TIA.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
sacchan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 11:29 pm Reply with quote
dormcat is right Very Happy

hane--はね
bane--ばね
It's just that the "i" at the end of "hai" influenced the next sound and made it a voiced "ba" instead of "ha."
Akemi_Idaku

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 12:00 am Reply with quote
Thanks everyone for that info, and sorry about this being in the manga forum.

Akemi
joshua-kun

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 1:03 am Reply with quote
heh well Haibane Renmei was a manga before it was an anime so its all good right? Very Happy
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 1:34 am Reply with quote
joshua-kun wrote:
heh well Haibane Renmei was a manga before it was an anime so its all good right?

Yes, originally named オールドホームの灰羽達 (The Haibanes of Old Home), a doujinshi by Yoshitoshi ABe (安倍 吉俊). See the CG page of his personal website for more info.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Akemi_Idaku

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:19 am Reply with quote
Hey, do you have anymore information about this original doujinshi? I have been looking all over for stuff about it. Like the order the books go in, and a translation for the covers. And more if you have it, heh heh.That would be very helpful, thanks a lot.

Akemi
bnewhall

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:35 pm Reply with quote
I was under the impression that the original doujinshi were sold in a limited print run, and that they're not commercially available. Is that incorrect?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:23 pm Reply with quote
bnewhall wrote:
I was under the impression that the original doujinshi were sold in a limited print run, and that they're not commercially available. Is that incorrect?

No, it's not incorrect. The key word there is "doujinshi". It's possible that ABe reprinted it, but doujinshi when they're produced, don't usually pass the 5,000 published mark. The Haibane doujinshi I've seen on auctions go for quite a bit. x_X
Akemi_Idaku

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Like how much? Heh heh...I'm real interested.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1