• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Sailor Moon's Takeuchi Draws Messages for Quake Area

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Happiness for Subaru
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:59 pm Reply with quote
RoverTX wrote:
When people say its the thought that counts, they don't really mean the effort, they don't really mean the money, they don't' even really mean the time. They mean that what should really count is that the other person cares, and that you in return should not care about anything else but the fact that they thought of you or someone else.
Beautifully put. I think I might have to write that down and put it up somewhere! Very Happy
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:25 am Reply with quote
Altorrin wrote:
1. Black and white =/= sketch. A fully shaded drawing with obvious effort and attention to detail put into it does not become a sketch, simply because it's in black and white. They're not saying the problem is that it's in black and white. The problem is that it lacks effort, that it is a sketch. Sketch - n. a simply or hastily executed drawing or painting, especially a preliminary one, giving the essential features without the details. It's not even shaded a little. It's just a sketch.

2. And, actually, they had and still do recolor black and white movies. It's a tedious process, but I do believe it goes over well.

3. Someone had complained about Tite Kubo not putting much effort into his contribution, while I thought it looked fine. Because he put effort. He at least scanned his picture, never mind the fact that he actually bothered coloring and inking it. He made an animation, for Pete's sake! He didn't just doodle in a sketchbook and take a picture with his digital camera of an obvious work-in-progress. I'm pretty disappointed in Ms. Takeuchi.

What Tite Kubo did I can pretty much guarantee you didn't take him more than an hour - and honestly I thought it was incredibly bad taste to have a shinigami as your "message of hope and support" for quake and tsunami victims. I don't thinka lot of thought went into his submission.

Takeuchi is no longer a professional manga-artist, she's a professional full-time mom, and what if she doesn't have a scanner? There actually could be some real reason for her not to have one - where ever she may currently be staying. And to suggest that a pencil sketch = no effort a serious presumption. Oh, your definition is all nice and all, but it doesn't put a value on work. Those drawings she did are technically NOT sketches. You want a sketch, this is a sketch:

What Takeuchi has there are what look to me rather finished line art pieces. Whatmore we have no less than three pieces, where half the stuff we got from the other artist were quick little single pieces - the only difference with them is some of them did it on a tablet. I can tell you right now that's not a lot of effort, and can take literally minutes depending on the artist. I don't see anyone complaining about that crap, so quit complaining about something that obviously took longer (try thinking up three compositions sometime - it's not as easy as you think). Just because something doesn't have shadow does not mean it doesn't have detail because those drawings are FULL of detail. Try looking at them a bit longer - especially with those awesome folds on that dress. These aren't the quick sketches you claim them to be, so quit belittling them unless you can pop up something of equal caliber in one - five minutes (the typical time it takes to do a "sketch"). As an artist myself I would be amazed to discover Takeuchi could do a single one of those drawings in 5 minutes. Each one took her at the very least twenty minutes, and this was after she did some preliminary sketches to figure out how she would go about doing these.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:41 am Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:

What Tite Kubo did I can pretty much guarantee you didn't take him more than an hour - and honestly I thought it was incredibly bad taste to have a shinigami as your "message of hope and support" for quake and tsunami victims. I don't thinka lot of thought went into his submission.

Oh come on now, this is just getting ridiculous. Yes, how tasteless it was for Kubo to use the freaking main character from his manga for his message? Rolling Eyes
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:51 am Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
littlegreenwolf wrote:

Oh come on now, this is just getting ridiculous. Yes, how tasteless it was for Kubo to use the freaking main character from his manga for his message? Rolling Eyes

He didn't have to be in the shinigami costume. Really, they have other clothes, but no, you're essentially sending someone, someone possibly grieving or who just lived through a traumatic event - a picture of a grim reaper - a grim reaper holding out a hand to them, as an attempt to comfort them. I'm sorry, but there's some bad taste there. Oh sure, not everyone will see it as that, but some will. Call it ridiculous if you want too, but if you can't actually think about what you're looking at, you shouldn't be trying to judge art to begin with.

I just happened to have interpreted Kubo's image as something bordering on a sick joke. Sure he probably didn't intend for it to be so, but that's just how his work translated with me. Then again I'm one for morbid humor.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:25 am Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
Mad_Scientist wrote:
littlegreenwolf wrote:

He didn't have to be in the shinigami costume. Really, they have other clothes, but no, you're essentially sending someone, someone possibly grieving or who just lived through a traumatic event - a picture of a grim reaper - a grim reaper holding out a hand to them, as an attempt to comfort them. I'm sorry, but there's some bad taste there. Oh sure, not everyone will see it as that, but some will. Call it ridiculous if you want too, but if you can't actually think about what you're looking at, you shouldn't be trying to judge art to begin with.

I just happened to have interpreted Kubo's image as something bordering on a sick joke. Sure he probably didn't intend for it to be so, but that's just how his work translated with me. Then again I'm one for morbid humor.

Except that Ichigo isn't just a grim reaper, he also saves living people on a regular basis Rolling Eyes

I mean, you also may as well say that if Oda drew a message with his One Piece characters, then you could interpret it as "Hey, they're PIRATES. Technically you can read that as sick, because the quake would be a perfect oppurtunity for pirates and thieves to break into stores and banks and ruined homes and steal everything!"

I just think we've gotten into a really, REALLY bad tangeant here, and people with these kinds of thoughts should really just keep them to themselves right now...
zaeris

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:31 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:

While what you're saying has some merits but what good does it do, being nitpicky about something as this? The sincerity of the author towards her love of Japan doesn't change as such. The message is she cares which would be the main point.

There are probably better things to do than argue over the internet about it >.>
Happiness for Subaru
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:49 pm Reply with quote
zaeris wrote:
There are probably better things to do than argue over the internet about it >.>
Or...there are probably better things to argue about over the internet than this. Razz
suika

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, it doesn't matter whether it is a sketch or finished painting, it doesn't matter how loose the lines are or how detailed, what matters most is the CONCEPT.

I love Sailor Moon and I love seeing artists' sketches but I can't help but find these particular sketches... rather dull and lacking in emotion. They don't invoke any feelings or meaning to me, which is unfortunate.There are a myriad of things Takeuchi could've sketched out. Something as simple as Usagi cradling a baby Chibiusa would be much more emotional and perfectly illustrate Takeuchi's sympathies towards mothers and children affected by the disaster.

But whatever.

What I think it's more important is what she chooses to do with those drawings. If she donated them to a charity auction, those sketches could probably fetch a hefty price - and that would be more beneficial for the victims more than drawings lying around in a sketchbook.

littlegreenwolf wrote:

What Takeuchi has there are what look to me rather finished line art pieces. Whatmore we have no less than three pieces, where half the stuff we got from the other artist were quick little single pieces - the only difference with them is some of them did it on a tablet. I can tell you right now that's not a lot of effort, and can take literally minutes depending on the artist.

Uh... please correct me if I misunderstood but are you saying that because those artists worked digitally, it automatically means that they don't put as much effort into their drawing as opposed to an artist working with traditional tools? You do know that drawing with a tablet takes a lot of skill/effort and working digitally doesn't make everything magically easier.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:15 pm Reply with quote
suika wrote:
Uh... please correct me if I misunderstood but are you saying that because those artists worked digitally, it automatically means that they don't put as much effort into their drawing as opposed to an artist working with traditional tools? You do know that drawing with a tablet takes a lot of skill/effort and working digitally doesn't make everything magically easier.

Once you know how to use it it makes everything faster, and easier. So skill, yes - Effort? Not really. Learning it only takes weeks, if not days, and if you know the program you use, you just slap on a few layers here, and viola, you've got a picture within an hour (depends on the artist's style and technique, but for regular manga/anime style doodles without much shading or line detail- not a lot). If you don't know how to use it (tablet or the program), it can take days, but I'm fairly confident in anyone's skills with a tablet if they call themselves a professional illustrator of any sort in this day and age. There are the few that stay traditional media only, but yeah... hour pieces at the most.
sherri-chan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:50 am Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:

Once you know how to use it it makes everything faster, and easier. So skill, yes - Effort? Not really. Learning it only takes weeks, if not days, and if you know the program you use, you just slap on a few layers here, and viola, you've got a picture within an hour (depends on the artist's style and technique, but for regular manga/anime style doodles without much shading or line detail- not a lot). If you don't know how to use it (tablet or the program), it can take days, but I'm fairly confident in anyone's skills with a tablet if they call themselves a professional illustrator of any sort in this day and age. There are the few that stay traditional media only, but yeah... hour pieces at the most.

Um, wow. I bet you have never drawn anything digitally yourself before, eh? Just because drawing digitally is more convenient does not mean that no effort is invested into the drawing. It's not as easy as "slapping a few layers here and there".
suika

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:50 am Reply with quote
sherri-chan wrote:
littlegreenwolf wrote:

Once you know how to use it it makes everything faster, and easier. So skill, yes - Effort? Not really. Learning it only takes weeks, if not days, and if you know the program you use, you just slap on a few layers here, and viola, you've got a picture within an hour (depends on the artist's style and technique, but for regular manga/anime style doodles without much shading or line detail- not a lot). If you don't know how to use it (tablet or the program), it can take days, but I'm fairly confident in anyone's skills with a tablet if they call themselves a professional illustrator of any sort in this day and age.

Um, wow. I bet you have never drawn anything digitally yourself before, eh? Just because drawing digitally is more convenient does not mean that no effort is invested into the drawing. It's not as easy as "slapping a few layers here and there".

Seriously? I'm curious to know about your experience with drawing digitally. Care to give an example?

As someone who dabbles in both digital and traditional art and enjoys meshing both mediums together, let me tell you that I have to expend more time and effort when inking on the computer. Digital gives you layers and smoothness but you have to work harder to emulate the organic feeling and texture of traditional media - and sometimes it can't be obtained.

For some it can only take days to learning to use the tablet. But others can take weeks, months, or never at all. An artist can churn out a beautiful drawing in an hour because of their skill and confidence irregardless of medium.

Honestly, at the end of the day, it's not important how much time, how much detail, or what tool an artist spends on a drawing. It's the context, the meaning, and intent of the art that's what makes it memorable. Which - to go back on topic - is something that I find lacking in Takeuchi's sketches. She can do better, she's capable of doing something much more emotional than this.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:07 pm Reply with quote
suika wrote:

Seriously? I'm curious to know about your experience with drawing digitally. Care to give an example?

As someone who dabbles in both digital and traditional art and enjoys meshing both mediums together, let me tell you that I have to expend more time and effort when inking on the computer. Digital gives you layers and smoothness but you have to work harder to emulate the organic feeling and texture of traditional media - and sometimes it can't be obtained.

For some it can only take days to learning to use the tablet. But others can take weeks, months, or never at all. An artist can churn out a beautiful drawing in an hour because of their skill and confidence irregardless of medium.

Honestly, at the end of the day, it's not important how much time, how much detail, or what tool an artist spends on a drawing. It's the context, the meaning, and intent of the art that's what makes it memorable. Which - to go back on topic - is something that I find lacking in Takeuchi's sketches. She can do better, she's capable of doing something much more emotional than this.

Yeah, I agree, if you're going for a loose ink - bamboo pen fill, you've got to work at it. But anything else? Paths and pen tool, with various adjustments here or there if you're going for variation in line thickness. Hell, if you wanted to be real cheap and quick about it you can have Adobe Illustrator do all the work for you with tools like live trace. We're not talking about trying to make it look like traditional sumi-e here, we're talking about straight inking and coloring - manga/anime style like the examples given by the various manga-ka - and that just so happens to be what a lot of manga-ka do now with stuff they post online and on their blogs. Those don't take long, and if you're as experienced in it as you claim, I don't know why you're trying to argue otherwise. You just trace over your drawing/sketch with your mouse, and then you have an inked drawing.

Yeah, I'm defending Takeuchi's drawings here - I don't have a problem with the subjects or poses because like just about every other submission from other manga artist, there's vary little there in terms of emotion or pose as well. Just a character, that each artist draws a hundred times a month, standing there smiling. I don't see why Takeuchi should get bashed around for it when it's not different than the other stuff we've seen.
thefuturemrsuzumaki

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:47 am Reply with quote
Isn't the important thing here that she's all right and everything is somewhat okay for her to be able to draw these? Sketches or not, it's still a drawing and still art. I'm sure Takeuchi didn't draw these so everyone could argue over them. I have no problem with them whatsoever. In fact, I prefer to see sketches most of the time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
suika

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:55 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Yeah, I agree, if you're going for a loose ink - bamboo pen fill, you've got to work at it. But anything else? Paths and pen tool, with various adjustments here or there if you're going for variation in line thickness. Hell, if you wanted to be real cheap and quick about it you can have Adobe Illustrator do all the work for you with tools like live trace. we're talking about straight inking and coloring - manga/anime style like the examples given by the various manga-ka - and that just so happens to be what a lot of manga-ka do now with stuff they post online and on their blogs. Those don't take long, and if you're as experienced in it as you claim, I don't know why you're trying to argue otherwise. You just trace over your drawing/sketch with your mouse, and then you have an inked drawing.

Even so, "inking" with the path and pen tool takes a lot of perseverance and hand coordination. I've tried it, hated it because it requires a great deal of patience, takes forever to do and hurts my hand (esp with a freaking mouse). I suspect most who do it this way are forced to because they don't have a tablet or have any inking skills whatsoever.

Your pencils have to be really good otherwise live trace can only do so much. You'd be better off "inking" by darkening the pencils - which also takes no effort with the photo copy machine. Most digital artists I know ink freehand, in a way that mirrors traditional inking. Hey quite a few even went back to real ink and pen/brush because it's easier than digital.

I've worked with digital media for years, I started off as an anime-inspired artist. It irritates me when someone dismissively lumps all digital artists as putting in no effort because they've got Photoshop. just as it irritates me when someone disses all anime and manga art as automatically being inferior to other art. The assumption that all artists don't put in as much "effort" because they draw in this particular style or medium.

Quote:

Yeah, I'm defending Takeuchi's drawings here - I don't have a problem with the subjects or poses because like just about every other submission from other manga artist, there's vary little there in terms of emotion or pose as well. Just a character, that each artist draws a hundred times a month, standing there smiling. I don't see why Takeuchi should get bashed around for it when it's not different than the other stuff we've seen.

I guess the problem is that people hold her to a higher standard because she is the creator of Sailor Moon. That's what fame does to you.

TheFutureMrs.Uzumaki wrote:
Isn't the important thing here that she's all right and everything is somewhat okay for her to be able to draw these? Sketches or not, it's still a drawing and still art. I'm sure Takeuchi didn't draw these so everyone could argue over them. I have no problem with them whatsoever. In fact, I prefer to see sketches most of the time.

You know, that is really the best frame of mind to have. Kudos to being the sane voice of reason.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2