• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Adds Angel Beats! Fantasy TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:40 pm Reply with quote
S23/Sentai continue to disappoint me. It seemed like at first they were at least partially avoiding the otaku bait quicksand. This last year though, I don't know. They haven't picked up anything I'm interested in since Guin Saga. (Maybe Alison & Lillia but other than that nothing). It's unfortunate. I've made peace with the fact that the majority of licenses won't appeal to me but come on. Just something would be nice.
Jaymie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:40 pm Reply with quote
I'm still waiting for Madoka to be licensed. Angel Beats! was fun, but it wasn't very impressive overall.
Bored_Ming

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Can't wait to get this on my shelf. The show was not perfect, but I still really enjoyed it. I am concerned about how the music will turn out. Girls Dead Monster was a big part of the show. I just hope they don't screw up "My Song". I'm not picking on Sentai. I would make this point about anyone dubbing this.

LOL...I get good news and then complain.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Good to know, and it was inevitable I guess. Still I'm kinda on the fence about this title.

ikillchicken wrote:
S23/Sentai continue to disappoint me. It seemed like at first they were at least partially avoiding the otaku bait quicksand. This last year though, I don't know. They haven't picked up anything I'm interested in since Guin Saga. (Maybe Alison & Lillia but other than that nothing). It's unfortunate. I've made peace with the fact that the majority of licenses won't appeal to me but come on. Just something would be nice.

After taking a look at your list....it just doesn't seem like anime is for you man. Might be time to find another hobby.

Last edited by Kruszer on Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
Animerican14

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:03 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Animerican14 wrote:
I was pondering how long or likely it might take for something like Puella Magi Madoka Magica to get licensed

Madoka isn't getting licensed. Even though it's not "just a magical girl show" consumers and companies wont care. All they're see is a cutesy name and magical girl, and immediately be turned off. It's why Princess Tutu didn't do well, even though it's much more than it's cover makes it out to be.

Well, not necessarily. Yeah, I agree that the way the marketing was handled in Japane probably won't carry over as well here.... maybe a greater promotion of its dark aspects can take precedence in the US Market? Sure, maybe that would ruin the surprise some for new consumers, but at least they would have a better idea of what they would be getting.

However, there are some possibly significant differences here I can see here, even if I've only seen the first two episodes of Princess Tutu here. For starters, the US market isn't as busy now as it was back when Princess Tutu came over here, and thus PMMM seems to be making bigger waves here already in the community. Second, I would imagine that Princess Tutu is/was a bigger investment to bring to market, when it was released here with 26 episodes (trimmed down from 38, I know) while PMMM has 12, and in Princess Tutu's time, it was practically mandated for there to be dubs for every anime release. With that longer length-- and I can be severely be mistaken here-- didn't it take a longer period of time to reach the same levels of darkness by episode 3 or 4 as PMMM? And also, the general aesthetics of Princess Tutu didn't stand out nearly as much to me as those of PMMM--besides PMMM's character designs, everything else about it felt super original after the first episode alone. PMMM's localization chances are't enough to bet the farm over, but it's certainly not impossible. Aniplex USA itself could be the one licensing the show out here.... and if that company's crazy enough to charge in the hundreds of dollars for a release of "The Garden of Sinners," what's to say that they can't put PMMM out here?

Anyway, back to Angel Beats: hope it does well here. Never cared much for the ADV/Sentai pool of voice-actors that much in the past, but it's been a while since I've ever actually disliked a modern dub, so... yeah.

Last edited by Animerican14 on Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Happiness for Subaru
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Bored_Ming wrote:
I am concerned about how the music will turn out. Girls Dead Monster was a big part of the show.
I'm surprised this wasn't mentioned sooner. I look forward to seeing (hearing?) what happens!
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm surprised this wasn't mentioned sooner. I look forward to seeing (hearing?) what happens!

Chances are they won't dub it. After the disaster with Gundam Seed by Bandai, I'm sure many companies learned their lesson to not dub insert songs. The better question would be the transitioning of vocals.

Either way, I'm not happy that Sentai picked this up. Sentai is absolutely awful and really should just die. It's great that they pick up more "obscure" titles, but it really doesn't help if they're just going to half-ass the job to get it on the street. I've bought a number of releases from Sentai and all I can say is that I'm appalled by their sub-par typesetting, editing, translation, QC...just about everything actually. After spinning-off from the dying ADV I really hoped they would regroup, but all I see is a blob. Really missing Geneon right about now Crying or Very sad
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:24 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Hope they don't dub it.
... oh right.
Hope they don't make a crappy dub. I think it might be too late for that LOL!

Honestly, if Sentai is going to bother to dub a show, you'd think they would actually take the time to do quality work. But then again, this is Sentai we are speaking about in regards to their dubbing Key anime, so this doesn't surprise me in the least.

I once had a very patient and exceptionally brilliant teacher tell me that if your going to do a job, either you do with 100% effort and do it right or don't do it at all. I also had another very intelligent teacher tell me for the most part, quality is much greater than quantity.

As great as it is to see a dubbed show, if the effort and quality isn't there, the end result isn't as rewarding if it were done well.
cche7

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:27 pm Reply with quote
For everyone who hates the dub, then switch to the Japanese with English subtitles. "Oh, I hate the dub" SO WHAT, there's a menu option to switch it to the Japanese.

If you hate the series, who cares!!! Then don't buy it Mad

I'm a fan, I'm glad Sentai licensed the series and I will buying the Blu-Ray when it comes out. Case closed, end of story.
Ringking

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:46 pm Reply with quote
W00000000000000000000000000T!!!!

Ahem, now that I've got that out of my system... man, the amount of times I've been going to buy the japanese version of this show just for the hell of it, needless to say, this is great news since i absolutely love this show.

Im just really crossing my fingers that we get a nice special edition , this is one of those cases where i would be perfectly happy to fork out large amounts of cash on individual special additions, just cause i love this show to bits.

At least, please let it have a decent BOX and not one of those horrid spool cases. I couldn't hate those things more....But man, i wish Pioneer would kick it into high gear and give me my multi-reigon BD player im waiting on...
Risami

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:51 pm Reply with quote
can anybody confirm if there will also be a sub ? or is it just dub?
sukisho

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Fletcher1991 wrote:
You realize it was ADV who did the english dubbing for Air and Kanon right? And those were excellent.

Those were horrid.

I hope they don't ruin this one.
Dagon123

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:52 pm Reply with quote
inb4 every FUNi fanboy complains about the show having a terrible dub because chris sabat or greg ayres isn't in it and its not 99cents

oh wait Rolling Eyes

I've yet to hear a bad dub from Sentai, at least its not Sekirei, lol
Rukiia

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Risami wrote:
can anybody confirm if there will also be a sub ? or is it just dub?

Unless they state it as being "Dub-only" then it will always include with the original Japanese audio and English subs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Ringking wrote:
W00000000000000000000000000T!!!!

Ahem, now that I've got that out of my system... man, the amount of times I've been going to buy the japanese version of this show just for the hell of it, needless to say, this is great news since i absolutely love this show.

Im just really crossing my fingers that we get a nice special edition , this is one of those cases where i would be perfectly happy to fork out large amounts of cash on individual special additions, just cause i love this show to bits.

At least, please let it have a decent BOX and not one of those horrid spool cases. I couldn't hate those things more....But man, i wish Pioneer would kick it into high gear and give me my multi-reigon BD player im waiting on...

Sentai/ADV + special don't ever go in the same sentence.

Quote:
For everyone who hates the dub, then switch to the Japanese with English subtitles. "Oh, I hate the dub" SO WHAT, there's a menu option to switch it to the Japanese.

Problem is that Sentai's subtitles are horrid. You're probably going to be better off watching fansubs for this one.

Something just hit me though....they should try to keep T.K. the same voice actor if they can. If I recall, his voice actor's native language is English and Japanese is his second language. I find it unnecessary to actually change this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8