• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Akira Plans Get Harry Potter Scriptwriter

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Sanosuke_Inara wrote:
jdnation wrote:

I'm hopeful for the best... And Speed Racer was awesome! In fact it was much better than the source material.

You lost all credibility with that last statement, bro. Laughing

Many people haven't even seen the source material! Laughing

(The source material is the American Speed Racer, not the Japanese Mach Go Go Go, BTW.)
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:51 pm Reply with quote
who_is_friend wrote:
This is probably one of the best screenwriters they could get. At the very least, they'd be experienced with adapting pre-existing work that is faithful to the tone even if the content is slightly different. The HP series manages to be both enjoyable for those who have read the book (and aren't nitpicking every detail left out) and accessable for general audiences.

Really? I felt the exact opposite. The HP movies failed for me for the reverse reason. They tried way to hard to keep the content the same and as a result lost the tone and spirit of the originals. They obviously didn't have nearly enough time to effectively cover the entirety of the story. However, instead of trying to rework it into something different but effective, we just got this awful, rushed, mess that feels more like a plot summary than an actual plot. That being the case, I hardly think this bodes well for Akira.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Sanosuke:
Quote:
*sigh* I've never understood why the hell people feel like they can make random assumptions like this, especially since we practically don’t know A DAMN THING about how the movie is gonna go down as of now.

Well, it's going to be morphed from a Hiroshima metaphor into a 9/11 metaphor, because as we all know, those are big with today's movie-goers. Rolling Eyes Plus, they wanna make all the Asian characters white, because that's really what the original material needed. Laughing

jdnation: You could do a decent dark PG-13 movie, as TDK, or even the new True Grit, proved, but it's fairly obvious they're aiming for another Jonah Hex. Mad

marcos: You can get the books discounted on Amazon.

Teriyaki:
Quote:
Won't be as bad as Dragon Ball Z Evolution

No, it'll probably be worse, because they didn't learn jack-shit from DB:E, partly because M. Night Suck-ass's Airbender actually made money in spite of bad reviews, so they still don't feel any obligation to care about the original audience.

bahamut:
Quote:
Why would it be a family friendly film? Because the guy worked on Harry Potter?

True, but he doesn't appear to have worked on anything edgy, either. Also, the HP movies could've looked as low-rent as the Percy Jackson or Twilight movies, and they'd still make money, because there's a big enough audience for them.

And Speed Racer was a chore to sit through. I don't get it, either.
marcos torres toledo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:40 pm Reply with quote
enursol I think I watched Mach Go Go Go dubbed into english in the sixities when I lived in New York if it's the one where Speed has a older brother who wears a black mask with a white X I think that the one you are writting about and I know I watch the original Astro Boy also dub and I was put on to this anime by a article in Time magazine at the time. Sad
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:12 pm Reply with quote
(sigh) So much fail.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:13 pm Reply with quote
I always thought the silver lining of DB:E was it would get Hollywood to stop making live-action anime adaptions.

Clearly I was wrong Confused
Racheldoublemm

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:12 am Reply with quote
I wouldn't exactly call the transfer from page to film quite successful for the script writer. Although, there were direct quotations and finely made dialect was throughout. There might be hope if Akira is an actual source and not one of inspiration.

I've yet to see a successful anime to film adaptation in general whether it be in America or Asia. I can only say one that is of any note: Peach Girl, and that's only because the anime was horrible.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:24 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
(The source material is the American Speed Racer, not the Japanese Mach Go Go Go, BTW.)

Even the film ****ing failed trying to translate the Americanized version!! Thats how bad it was.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:07 am Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Even the film ****ing failed trying to translate the Americanized version!! Thats how bad it was.

It was like the American version; that's why a lot of people didn't get it. They wouldn't have liked the American version in the first place.
mrsatan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:15 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Also, how come no mention of James Franco as Kaneda, or Mila Kunis being initially attached to the project?

Smart move, Mila, in dodging this bomb.
The fact that they wanted Brad Pitt for Kaneda tells me all I need to know about this project.
rojse

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:06 am Reply with quote
By the time the live-action "Akira" movie gets to cinemas, I expect I will be watching the next "Battlefield Earth".
BassKuroi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:33 pm Reply with quote
I don't care who write, produce, star or whatever. This movie will suck ass anyway.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:42 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
It was like the American version; that's why a lot of people didn't get it. They wouldn't have liked the American version in the first place.

I've seen Speed Racer from the 60's; the film was not a homage to it.

Gone was the campyness, the bad 60's dubbing, the datedness, and in it's place, was a full CG crapfest coupled with an acid trip that I did not want.
kow626

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:48 pm Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:
Well we do know that the studio is pushing for a PG-13 rating on this one, and given all the stuff that happens in Akira, no way can it be really faithful unless it was rated-R.

the book really wasn't as hardcore as you make it sound. i think pg-13 would be the proper way to go. the script is one thing. the budget is another. that's my real concern. anyone who's read those books knows the level of destruction that takes place. to capture all that with cg would be an awesome sight to see if they don't clamp down too tight with the money. the city and background are just as important as the characters and story.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2