• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Get Serious

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shenl742

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Ranma824

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:05 pm Reply with quote
You know, at this point anybody whining and bitching about Final Fantasy should seriously just leave and stop being a fan of the franchise. No, the franchise is never going to be "as good as it used to be" to you; and frankly all the hate is starting to become the definition of cliche.

It's totally fine to not like something you used to, and FF will be fine without you.

Shenl742 wrote:

Best news in several years!
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Man, it seems like Final Fantasy just can't win with some people.

They put out something that looks like XIII:

"Boo! Not more of this neon coloured Sci-Fantasy crap. How generic."

They put out something different looking like Versus:

"Boo! I can draw a tenuous link between some elements of this and one of a half dozen other games. How generic."

I realize that it's pretty much a given that for any given FF these days there will be a bunch of people to complain about it. That's just a product of drastically different expectations. I'm honestly not sure what some people want though.

Shenl742 wrote:

I'm indifferent on Tales of Graces but I'm just glad to hear that the series isn't dead in North America for the sake of the upcoming Tales of Xillia.

Last edited by ikillchicken on Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dimlos

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Letthemeatraep wrote:
Wow, really forcing the anti-FF agenda down our throats this week, eh?

Considering some of the generic garbage (Hello Megaman) that seems to be aggressively championed in these articles, I find it extremely rich that something like FF VS XIII is getting slammed when by all accounts it is looking likely to avoid the pitfalls that made so many hate FFXIII so much.
Don't be a mad fanboy over opinions. Personally, I'm just glad there are other people who don't think it looks like some flawless, god-sent game.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:25 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Man, it seems like Final Fantasy just can't win with some people.

They put out something that looks like XIII:

"Boo! Not more of this neon coloured Sci-Fantasy crap. How generic."

They put out something different looking like Versus:

"Boo! I can draw a tenuous link between some elements of this and one of a half dozen other games. How generic."

I realize that it's pretty much a given that for any given FF these days there will be a bunch of people to complain about it. That's just a product of drastically different expectations. I'm honestly not sure what some people want though.

I agree with this, i saw the extended trailer and thought "finally they're adding varied game play and not sticking to the strict rpg troupes of the past." and then the author of this column went out of his way bashing the trailer. So what if its kinda like some other games? Mass Effect 2 is basically Gears Of War with a decent plot, that didn't stop it for winning game of the year from many gaming sites this past year(not bashing ME2, i love that game to death).

At this point i think i could settle for a main entry in the series that doesn't involve running down hallways pressing "x" a bunch of times.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Ah I'd like to add something you can put in for next X Button. Tales of Graces F has been confirmed for North American release and it's about damn time.

Versus XIII: I still say it looks like it's going to be some oversaturated action game to me. I'm not placing any amount of faith in this game, nor any interest really. Todd is definitely echoing my sentiments here. I mean, not to be a FF hater, but I'm not really seeing much of an interesting game with this one here.

MvC3: Much like Brawl, I'm sure this will be at the top of the PS3 forums for a long time. I still would have liked to see Firebrand and Sauron join the lineup. Lei Lei is fine to be in, girl needed more exposure anyway. What was the last thing she starred in, Namco x Capcom? She could have easily been in Cross Edge or MvC2, but nobody thinks she's attractive enough to slap tasteless costumes on.

Dissidia 012: Aya wears Lightning's clothes, Lightning wears Aya's clothes, do these two have anything in common besides sharing the same seiyu (plus I'm beginning to wonder if Maaya Sakamoto is getting a bit overused lately in anime and games)? As for Kain, why does he have purple nail polish on? Just forget costumes and focus on gameplay.

Cthulhu: At first, it's easy to write off indie game developers for having stupid ideas or making fun of an established genre (lol, don't we all do that enough online anyway?), but there are a few quirky gems among them. Cthulhu saving the world is a bit hard to swallow context-wise, but the execution sounds charming enough. Btw, thanks for reminding me of that South Park episode Todd, easily the most memorable one yet Anime hyper

Maid-san: I know I keep asking this about indie games, but are the deaths gruesome in this one (provided getting caught by troll results in an actual death scene)? The mechanics sound kind of stupid though. She has no weapons or powers, she just snivels? Wow, way to remind me of that virtual ARis maid cube thing (I'll never forget that vid).

NeoGeo: Haha, I remember Magician Lord's voice acting! Lol, it was so hilariously synthesized. I know one guy on YouTube who did a hack of the game playing only as the Dragon Warrior for the whole thing. Probably the one thing to like about that old game was the transformations. I remember seeing it on Nick Arcade a lot too.

Mario Sports Mix: It's funny you mention that MKH thing. I remember seeing a fanmade crossover of Mario and Kingdom Hearts (though the damn creator could use an English tutor for the dialogue) and thinking the idea wouldn't be too far off...but then you have to remember how such a thing can even work. The thing about crossovers is you have to find some common ground between the worlds you're mixing, otherwise you're only sticking them together because you think "it would just be cool". Anyway, that aside, I'm sure this will be a decent blip on the sales radar. No matter what the era, you can never have enough Mario (on the other hand, we've had enough of Sonic, and I wonder if Crash and Spyro will ever shine again). The games look like a lot of fun based on the trailers.

Naruto: As far as this sad little trend goes, I'm glad I played only one Naruto game ever (though it was tied in with the original series) and never looked back. I'll just keep following the English dub of Shippuden. No one is missing anything by skipping game after game of ninja with over the top moves. Naruto RPGs are also a great big laugh (as in laughable, not comedic).

Zill O'll: This will probably be as generic fantasy as it gets. The characters are pretty much the standard three-person fare we've not doubt seen countless times in fantasy stories. I'll pass on this one. It looks like another generic mindless slaughter action game anyway.
Henry Jones

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Before getting the SNK Arcade stuff, keep in mind you can get SNK Arcade Collection Vol. 1 for the PSP, Wii, or PS 2 which has a bunch of these games they're making downloadable in one package for a little more than the price of downloading one game off Wii's VC or similar service. So yeah, check that out before getting ripped off.

http://www.amazon.com/SNK-Arcade-Classics-Vol-Playstation-2/dp/B0012RCNUA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1296702068&sr=8-1

For me, as a person who grew up with these games being INSANELY expensive, getting all of these for the price of a bargain game is mind-blowing (I did the math once, and going by the $15 I bought the collection for, I figured the games had devalued to around .01%-not the exact figure-of their original value).
Diseasedfoe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Excited for the Dark Souls.

Demon's Souls was one beast of a game, but so much fun
John Casey

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:13 pm Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:

At this point i think i could settle for a main entry in the series that doesn't involve running down hallways pressing "x" a bunch of times.

Except that's exactly what Versus XIII is.

It's Kingdom Hearts II with a paint job. You won't be running down a hallway pressing X a bunch of times. It'll be running down the hall-way, and duct-taping a tattoo gun to repeatedly hit X.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:58 pm Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
animehermit wrote:

Except that's exactly what Versus XIII is.

It's Kingdom Hearts II with a paint job. You won't be running down a hallway pressing X a bunch of times. It'll be running down the hall-way, and duct-taping a tattoo gun to repeatedly hit X.

except you don't actually know any of this, and the game play in the trailer seemed to disagree, I saw open world environments, people getting in mechs and tanks, a part where you shoot stuff in 3rd person. what YOU saw was something that looked kinda like KH, which in all fairness it kinda does, but whats wrong with that? KH has *gasp* fun game play.

though i should know better than to argue with you, because your blinded by your hate for Nomura, the guys directed like 2 console games and a bunch of handhelds i don't see the reason to hate the man.
John Casey

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:52 am Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:

except you don't actually know any of this, and the game play in the trailer seemed to disagree, I saw open world environments, people getting in mechs and tanks, a part where you shoot stuff in 3rd person. what YOU saw was something that looked kinda like KH, which in all fairness it kinda does, but whats wrong with that? KH has *gasp* fun game play.

though i should know better than to argue with you, because your blinded by your hate for Nomura, the guys directed like 2 console games and a bunch of handhelds i don't see the reason to hate the man.

And I don't see the reason why I should debate something against a contradicting fanboy who openly disagrees with me, then re-confirms my own arguments himself while attempting to derail the debate via randomly switching subjects to my dislike of Nomura.

Good job though. I couldn't have created a more contradictory post myself if I tried.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:35 am Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
...on the other hand, we've had enough of Sonic, and I wonder if Crash and Spyro will ever shine again...

Well, it looks like Spyro actually had games coming out as late as the end of 2008, so it's not like he really ever went anywhere...
As for Crash, Naughty Dog is onto their third series now, Uncharted, and I don't see them going back and reviving Mr. Bandicoot, considering how long it's been.
Personally, though, I wouldn't mind another J&D game. Lost Frontier was okay, but an entry on the PS3 would be sweet.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:10 am Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
And I don't see the reason why I should debate something against a contradicting fanboy who openly disagrees with me, then re-confirms my own arguments himself while attempting to derail the debate via randomly switching subjects to my dislike of Nomura.

Good job though. I couldn't have created a more contradictory post myself if I tried.

Just because he does not deal in absolutes as you do does not make his claims contradictory. There's nothing contradictory about acknowledging that there do appear to be some similarities to KH, unless of course he also claimed there are NO similarities which he didn't. I believe what he is saying is that while there do appear to be some similarities, calling this 'Kingdom Hearts II with a paint job' is premature if not downright incorrect. The trailer seems to indicate a number of differences and in any case, jumping to such a conclusion based on so little information is silly.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:37 am Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:

3-No one is going to call The 3rd Birthday "Parasite Eve 3" for several reasons. Aside from Aya...this game IS NOTHING like the PE games, and has NOTHING TO DO WITH THEM. Secondly, the game frickin sucks. Thirdly, the gameplay makes Generic Shooter #495 feel like a godamn god-send. Everyone but Square will forget this game ever existed in like a week.

Oh god, don't even get me STARTED on how bad that game is. The narrative is the WORST that Motomu Toriyama has ever written. Oh yeah, it's WORSE than FFXIII, the ending being one of the most canon-destroying atrocities I have EVER seen. And what's REALLY the icing on the cake for it is that they couldn't even get Aya's BIRTHDAY right. The best thing this game has going for it is that Yvonne Strahovski is voicing Aya and Jensen Eckles is voicing Kyle. I'm just glad that Tactics Ogre is coming out soon because I needed to cleanse the pallet after seeing how Toriyama insulted Sakaguchi, Tokita, Sena, Aya, the fans, and everyone else who made Parasite Eve worthy of being called a cult classic.

As for VS XIII, I could care less. I don't HATE Nomura per say, but I feel that his skills have waned and this talk of him being a second Sakaguchi or Yuji Horii is overblown hyperbole (though I would argue that Matsuno is the closest to a second Guchi we've gotten). Heck, even his skills as an artist are stale as guys like Yoshida, Kaneko, and Soejima have far more striking and distinctive styles. Nomura's just looks generic these days.

Going on to the positive, I am looking forward to MvC3 and Tactics Ogre (both releasing on the same day). Kinda sucks how MvC3 doesn't have a story mode though.
John Casey

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:01 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
John Casey wrote:

Just because he does not deal in absolutes as you do does not make his claims contradictory. There's nothing contradictory about acknowledging that there do appear to be some similarities to KH, unless of course he also claimed there are NO similarities which he didn't. I believe what he is saying is that while there do appear to be some similarities, calling this 'Kingdom Hearts II with a paint job' is premature if not downright incorrect. The trailer seems to indicate a number of differences and in any case, jumping to such a conclusion based on so little information is silly.

No no no, he really does.

Firstly, he tries to debunk the column partly by siding with that other dude, stating how this game isn't a run of the mill button masher, and how it'll be better than that.

When I call out on it, he tries to counter me, but for some reason, then agrees with me on how it is extremely mashy, saying that's gonna be why it'll be fun - completely contradicting his prior post. Then, for whatever reason, he never even finishes that argument, and out of nowhere, begins jumping on my dislike of Nomura citing that as what is wrong with my statement.

Then there's also the fact that Nomura himself stated that the battle system will be very much old school Kingdom Hearts with a few twists here and there. Look it up yourself if you want - I'm sure in the million and one interviews, he's stated that at least a dozen times.

:/

@AiddonValentine: You know what? Square really needs to give Tatsuya Kando another go. If The World Ends With You has proven anything, is that Kando is a MILLION times a better director, writer, and storyteller than Nomura or, haha, Toriyama, ever were.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3