• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Puella Magi Madoka Magica (TV + movies).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eivion

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:14 am Reply with quote
I loved episode 3. spoiler[I was sort of hoping Mami would bite it though I didn't expect it to happen this early or to be so brutal. I knew something would happen though as the whole situation didn't seem like anything coincidental, and Homura was trying to warn Mami that this witch was out of her league. I did like Mami's inner monologue. While she was definitely being somewhat of a manipulative bitch she did seem to have a softer side that really wanted to be friends with Madoka and Sayaka. I'm curious if Mami's death was in Kyube's plans. He clearly brought them into this situation to manipulate either Madoka or Sayaka into joining, but I wonder if Mami was really this expendable so early in.] Whatever the case I'm really looking to seeing where it all leads. This show has just moved up to my no. 2 for the season.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:50 am Reply with quote
Wow. spoiler[Did not see that coming.] This show just continues to impress.

Continue to love Madoka's mom. A very unusual female character portrayal for anime (spoiler[not that drunk women are unusual, just how she is being shown as a salaryman)].

Really, really lovin' this show.
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Now, that's more like it.

I was expecting it since she entered the maze, but it became clear when she started crying. Dunno what's about anime that sometimes reveals that a character is gonna die. Perhaps they turn a bit melancholic or something.

I'm not enjoying the visuals as much, but Senjougahara's seiyu on that character makes my day. Cool
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm, some peeps in other forums and blogs mentioned the very last scene of the ED sequence (which by the way is really wicked looking Cool ) is a reference to the film Mephisto.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Mephisto_DVD.jpg

Man, this series is going to play up the Faust references, are they? I'm intrigued on the direction this series is willing to go (especially with what happened in episode 3). My hope is the staff play their cards right and be successful in really deconstructing the magical girl genre.
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Wonder if anyone actually watched it thinking it'd be a normal magical girl show with weird visuals. Laughing

Yeah, anti-magical-girls coming up, sorta like antiheroes? Or just magical girls getting their heads bitten off, which by the way would be more amusing since I dislike the genre.
dragoneyes001

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:04 pm Reply with quote
its pretty obvious where one wish is going! there is a slight problem with the series aiming at an older audience some of the interplay is still lagging on the infantile. yet overall they are doing a good job of elevating Magic girl out of the 10 year old audience rut.
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:11 pm Reply with quote
This is actually turning out to be really good. I honestly wasn't expecting much based on the premise, but so far this is the best show of the season.
diomedes21

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:30 pm Reply with quote
dragoneyes001 wrote:
its pretty obvious where one wish is going! there is a slight problem with the series aiming at an older audience some of the interplay is still lagging on the infantile. yet overall they are doing a good job of elevating Magic girl out of the 10 year old audience rut.

i dont think lyrical nanoha was that much of a kid's show

also i am enjoying this series latest episode was surprising but good

spoiler[mami should have listened and at least let the other girl go with her, i thought that she was cool, or at least the coolest so far its going to be tough to top those muskets too]
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only who doesn't think it's a coincidence that once Mami realizes she has frineds and is no longer alone (she does live by herself, remember that), spoiler[she dies]? Thinking back to what Homura said in the first episode, I cannot believe for a moment that the two aren't connected. And when you consider that being a Magical Girl basically means being in competition with other Magical Girls to cleanse your egg, or whatever, the only thing I can conclude is that spoiler[Companionship = Death], one way or another. Whether it be spoiler[your head getting eaten off by a worm clown], or your family and friends getting knocked off, someone dies. I think the biggest factor for spoiler[Mami dieing] is that, and I'm assuming this, the rest of her immediate family died in that car accident. Well, Madoka and Sayaka have a lot of close ones that are alive, so it may not be them that go.

Best show of the season. I'm sorry Kore wa Zombie Desu Ka, but you've been bumped.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:27 pm Reply with quote
When I saw episode 3 I joked to myself durring the scene spoiler[that "Dammit, now she's going to die because she'd just made a promise to do something after the battle"....and then she did.....

My reaction was a mixed: Shocked Laughing Sad ]
silencer226

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:27 am Reply with quote
Well episode 3 has hooked me in for the long run now. I'm anxious to see where the show will go from here. I did not expect them to actually spoiler[kill off a character in this episode, I was expecting her to get her ass handed to her and then Homura comes in and shows her how it's done], but it happened... I think spoiler[the way it happened is mainly what surprised me, I was pretty much like "wut?" when I saw it.]
Daemonblue

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:30 am Reply with quote
Well, I'm fairly sure we all know what Madoka is gonna wish for now. Even if there are supposedly some kinda limits to wishes, it'll probably be related to how much power the contractee holds. But yea, my reaction was also Shocked at first, had to rewind it to see if what I saw was what had happened. spoiler[And yes, if you look at the shadow, her head was bitten off, in front of the other two girls.]
vastoceans

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:49 am Reply with quote
Daemonblue wrote:
Well, I'm fairly sure we all know what Madoka is gonna wish for now.

What will she wish? I hate to assume but there seem to be comments among some of the more popular anime blogs that the wish will likely be used to spoiler[revive Mami. ] It seems doubtful that will be the case.

Think back to the opening dream sequence of episode 1 - Madoka still hadn't contracted with Kyube. Assuming that prophetic dream pans out as they do in most magical girl shows; her wish will probably revolve around either spoiler[Homura or ending the "game".] Of course that's just speculation as well.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:28 am Reply with quote
What a beautiful battle this week. The gun kata was especially awesome as Mami owned up. Wasn't expecting spoiler[her to die though, but I'll admit I should have seen it coming; there were enough death flags. Homura's warning, Mami's happiness, the fact that we saw what happened to her, it was all there.

But I still thought that she was evil. When she and Madoka were talking while exploring the labyrinth, they were holding hands. The conversation made its way to Madoka telling Mami how much she looked up to her, and Mami let go of her hand.]
I now realise that I completely misinterpreted this, but at the time it seemed like Something Really Important.

Anyway, this is really shaping up to be a great series that subverts normal expectations. I mean, I knew it would be dark, but not like this.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:40 am Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure that they are gonna spoiler[wish mami back to life, i mean why feature her in the opening and promo's if they were just gonna kill her off after 3 episodes? besides I'm sure there will be some consequences for making such a wish anyways.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 61