• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: In Memoriam

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
braves

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:29 pm Reply with quote
As reported on Daizenshuu EX, Masayuki Uchiyama also passed away last year.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animerican14

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Dang, another year of great talents gone into the next life. Afraid the only news of those that I recall hearing about looking through this list were those of Takeshi Shudo, Keiko Tobe (whose first two omnibus volumes of With The Light I read over the summer), Carl Macek, Umanosuke Iida, and Peter Fernandez.

However, if I am to look back 2010 in any significant way anime-wise (to me), I think that it'll always be The Year that Satoshi Kon Died. Just actually watched through all of Millennium Actress this past evening for the first time, which was my late-on-arrival Christmas gift. Tried to see it a few years ago, but the library copy was messed up. A truly beautiful piece of art... it ranks alongside Tokyo Godfathers as my favorite work of his Anime cry .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sea Lion

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:03 am Reply with quote
2010 was a sad year for for me both personally and anime-wise. Here's hoping 2011 is much, much better.
championferret

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:31 pm Reply with quote
oh

oh man

I had no idea Keiko Tobe had died.... I only recently discovered With the Light and thought it was gorgeous. Now I'm really sad...

RIP to everyone else too of course.
Splitter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Thank you ANN for making an In Memoriam list. Now at least one exists that honors the massively influential, never respected Kon.
Cheesemon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:00 am Reply with quote
In the early 2000s when I used to follow a lot of Pokemon, I noticed the quality was all over the place. So with the help of a Japanese fansite, I started keeping track of who was responsible for the good episodes and which for the bad.

I have no idea where I put that list now, but I'm pretty sure Takeshi Shudo had the most good episodes. If it is him, he and his team always spent far more time making each episode look like a million bucks with a good story to boot. I really admire the amount of dedication he put in with the limited resources he probably had. I had no idea he had passed and he'll be missed by the animation community.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:45 am Reply with quote
It's scary and sad to think who death could claim next Sad
Acinom

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:06 pm Reply with quote
I was really bummed when Nujabes passed on.
It would seem he's well remembered in the hip hop community though. There are plenty of tribute tracks out there and even a tribute album.

Tribute to Jun
Myaow

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Cheesemon wrote:
In the early 2000s when I used to follow a lot of Pokemon, I noticed the quality was all over the place. So with the help of a Japanese fansite, I started keeping track of who was responsible for the good episodes and which for the bad.

I have no idea where I put that list now, but I'm pretty sure Takeshi Shudo had the most good episodes. If it is him, he and his team always spent far more time making each episode look like a million bucks with a good story to boot. I really admire the amount of dedication he put in with the limited resources he probably had. I had no idea he had passed and he'll be missed by the animation community.

Google brings up this list of the Shudo-written episodes. I fell out with Pokemon around 2001, but looking over this list, I see that almost all of the episodes that I really enjoyed as a kid were written by Takeshi Shudo, from "The Island of the Giant Pokemon" to "Go West, Young Meowth!" RIP, Shudo.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:24 am Reply with quote
Sad year indeed. The death that definitely hit home the most for me was Robert O. Smith. He answered my Email just a couple months before he died, and I loved his work in Ranma 1/2. He was a great actor, a true professional, and will be missed.

Peter Fernandez and Daisuke Gouri's deaths were also ones that were big downers for me.
jvowles
Otakon Representative

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Truly, it has been a tough year. I think we're all getting tired of writing obituaries for people we admire, let alone people we actually knew. Sad
HuskofDaimao

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:40 am Reply with quote
You guys are so weird. Most people I see in that montage are Japanese. What about the Americans who died this year? The celebs, public figures, etc.? Leslie [expletive] Nielsen?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:01 am Reply with quote
HuskofDaimao wrote:
You guys are so weird. Most people I see in that montage are Japanese. What about the Americans who died this year? The celebs, public figures, etc.? Leslie [expletive] Nielsen?

Surely you can't be serious? This is an anime/manga-related site.
braves

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:01 am Reply with quote
HuskofDaimao wrote:
Funny how this is the 2nd straight year that somebody has said the exact same thing in the In Memoriam thread. It's like people don't even know what website they're visiting.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2