• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime in the military.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wanderlustking

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:47 am Reply with quote
While visiting a former CO in Oki I was a bit surprised to find a decent selection of anime in the PX, something I never saw even just ten years ago. This got me wondering how many military anime fans there are out there.
I'd like to know if anyone here at ANN is in the military (or has prior service); or knows anyone that is, or has served.
I know a few of the younger kids in my unit have seen popular shows like DBZ and Naruto, but I'm curious how many actually watch anime regularly.
Quote:
I'll show me mine if you show me yours.

I'm a Master Sergeant in the U.S. Marines, Reserve. I enlisted in 1986 and served 17 active service. I am currently serving in the reserves, and have three deployments in Iraq and Afghanistan (First and Second Gulf Wars).
Please give as much information on your service history as you feel comfortable with.

Note: I'm not a Customs and Courtesies nut, but I do expect you to capitalize the name of your service.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:06 pm Reply with quote
I'm not personally, but I have an e-friend in the Navy, and another in the Air Force. One of them said that the base they were at carried the stuff in the military store at discount prices. Laughing

Last edited by Kruszer on Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:11 am; edited 1 time in total
wanderlustking

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:21 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I got Nana, Eden of the East, and Beck for less then ¥5,000 (about fifty bucks)! The PX system is usually pretty great unless your in Iraq or Afghanistan.
TKDSoldier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:12 pm Reply with quote
I was able to get Claymore and Gundam 00 for a pretty cheap price at the Iraqi shops while I was on deployment.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:46 pm Reply with quote
I know back in the 80s, Macross (and/or Robotech) was very popular with people in the U.S. military. I'd heard stories from people who said that some of these anime meant a lot to them personally.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:54 pm Reply with quote
This thread sort of reminds me of the FMP gag where the Lieutenant has to hide his hobby because it would be detrimental to his super-tough image.

I don't think it is too remarkable for some active soldiers to appreciate the mecha, swords-and-samarai or sci-fi stuff, but what I would like to see is someone own up to owning one of the girly titles. Maria Watches Over Us or something like that. Good fun.
excaliber736

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:42 am Reply with quote
Quote:
This thread sort of reminds me of the FMP gag where the Lieutenant has to hide his hobby because it would be detrimental to his super-tough image.

I don't think it is too remarkable for some active soldiers to appreciate the mecha, swords-and-samarai or sci-fi stuff, but what I would like to see is someone own up to owning one of the girly titles. Maria Watches Over Us or something like that. Good fun.

I'm a guy and I really enjoyed Strawberry Panic. Not just for the yuri either. Wink
naninanino

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:16 am Reply with quote
Well, my country has conscription in effect, so it's quite different from the U.S. Military. I guess there is no harm answering anyway?

There isn't that much to say. I met some anime fans during my time and I remember that we watched a couple of anime movies, like Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust with those who were interested. I wasn't a hardcore fan during that time, but I was in the phase of getting more and more interested.

As for rank, well I don't have anything flashy. Jäger (a light infantryman), Finnish Defence Forces. Now in reserve.
wanderlustking

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:15 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:

During my last deployment I read Kashimashi: Girl Meets Girl several dozen times. I'm a huge fan of Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha, I gave Toradora! a "very good" rating, and The Girl Who Leapt Through Time made me cry.
No one dares question the viewing pleasure of a Master Sergeant, unless they're also a Master Sergeant (or better). My current CO gives me shit from time to time, but it's just your normal Marine shit talk.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1