• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Interest: List of Winter 2011 TV Anime in Japan

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:24 am Reply with quote
Etrien wrote:

As for "wincest" and incest's recent popularity, I'd suspect the reasons to be roughly the same in Japan and America.

And yet, it's not popular in American media.
Well, save for that episode of Family Guy and Star Wars. Laughing
naninanino

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:27 am Reply with quote
The following are just my first impressions of the posters and descriptions.

Beelzebub: Studio Pierrot endless shounen? No way.

Cardfight!! Vanguard: Card ga... Not a chance!

Dragon Crisis!: Dragon girl & Juujin girl with heterochromia and tattoos? No.

Fractale: Noitamina. It's either very good or very bad. I'm hoping for a bit of imagination here. I'll wait it out.

Freezing: More Queens Blade and Ikkitousen clones. Never!

Gosick: Will ride on the "peculiarity" of the protagonist. Fail.

Hourou Musuko: Will the idea be more than double trap? I'll wait it out.

Infinite Stratos: Mecha harem filled with cliches! I've seen that before.

Kimi ni Todoke 2nd Season: I'm hoping that it will turn into a romance anime this time around. Too bad that I have no means to confirm this, so I'll have to wait and see the feedback.

Kore wa Zombie Desu ka?: Zombies and anime tropes don't mix. Fail.

Level E: Too little information. I'm not risking getting into a half baked contemporary scifi so easy. I'll give it a preview shot.

Mahō Shōjo Madoka Magica: Why am I only seeing moe in the trailers? I fear that this will try to take the opposite direction than Nanoha and innovate the genre into something more boring. I'll see the first episode to see the tone of this show.

Mitsudomoe Zōryōchū!: More elementary school kids acting like perverted adults. Deep sigh.

Oniichan no Koto Nanka Zenzen Suki Janain Dakara ne—!!: Oniichan! Originality explosion. Even one glance is too much for this.

Rio - Rainbow Gate!: Somewhat interesting premise, but trailer focused on boobs from the point of view of a loli. I shall not watch it.

Wolverine: Anime studios still have a hard time finding a suitable art style for western comic adaptions. I'd hope that Madhouse would focus on quality over quantity. Until it does that, I'll skip their adaptions.

Yumekui Merry: Somewhat interesting description, but too many females surrounding a male that looks as interesting as a damp cardboard. Skip.

Doesn't seem like the industry is going to shape up during winter season. Well, there are some good announcements to look forward to later in 2011.
trilaan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:27 am Reply with quote
Hourou Musuko has the potential to be the greatest genderbender, not to mention the most respectful to the subject of transsexualism, anime(or perhaps any medium) of all time. I've read some of the manga and I'm quite excited about this.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:36 am Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
Blood- wrote:
Dargonxtc wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:
I blame it all on the low birthrate. The idea of a cute younger sibling who looks up to you with dewy and calls you big bwutha and wuvs you so much! has an appeal, and because more and more young people in Japan are only children, they (1) don't get automatically squicked by the idea and (2) don't understand that little siblings are actually really, really annoying.

Wow, you know, I've known about the low birthrate and the various problems that have arisen from it in Japan for well... a very, very long time. But I have never thought about it from this perspective. You know what? It makes a hell of a lot of sense.

Whereas to me that notion seems incredibly facile. I caution anyone from drawing any sociological conclusions about a culture you are either not born into or do not have extensive firsthand experience with, and I especially caution anyone from spinning sociological theories based on products created for an incredibly niche audience.

No one is trying to prove conclusive evidence or universal truths with you, you twit. It is something that simply makes sense on a basilar level. In the last ten years very few of the foreign exchange students that I come over have had siblings, from my experience at least. It doesn't make it true, but it makes you think, right? You can think right? That's rhetorical, I know you can. I am not saying it is true, I am saying it makes sense on a 'topographical' viewpoint... from real life experiences. Again, not endorsing the idea, but think it may be a player. It may be part of the sociological demographic of a trending culture. It may not have studies, but to me the simplicity of the statement at least made it an option. Japan's birth rate deficiency is not only well documented, but I have seen it in by students being a single sibling for years, and in the majority. It is at the very least something that could be looked into, and not really outrageous.

As far as being "niché", look at the past 60 years and those words. How many of those trends became "mainstream" (or fairly popular).

Basically, don't be a spaz and over judge. It just leads to un-righteousness and pretentiousness accompiened by an overdeveloped sense of self-esteem that is based on one being heard.

Personally, I don't care, but I ignore your presence usually after I read the first three sentences. At the same time you have moments of brilliance, so take it as it is.

Laughing Wow, who pissed in your cornflakes? Let's see, I'm a twit and a spaz, "un-righteous" (?) and pretentious because I caution people from drawing sociological conclusions about a culture they are either not born into or don't have extensive firsthand experience with, plus I noted that drawing sociological conclusions based on products created for a niche audience within a culture was unwise, as well.

Wow, you're right - where the HELL do I get off espousing such an extreme and invalid opinion? Laughing I fully admit I have made posts at ANN that would have warranted the reaction you had, but I am genuinely surprised this was one of them.

Quote:
I am not saying it is true, I am saying it makes sense on a 'topographical' viewpoint... from real life experiences. Again, not endorsing the idea, but think it may be a player. It may be part of the sociological demographic of a trending culture.

This is what you said in your last post. This is what you said in your reply to vashfanatic:

Quote:
You know what? It makes a hell of a lot of sense.

Gee, forgive me if somebody saying "You know what? It makes a hell of a lot of sense" comes across as a teenie-weenie bit of an endorsement. Laughing

I've seen the "low-birthrate - incest trend in anime" argument before and the problem with not challenging it is if it gets repeated enough times then it becomes majority received opinion. There are lots of countries (virtually all of the developed world, in fact) that have experienced lowered birth rates. Is the supposition there that this has resulted in an increased interest in incest themes? Or is this something we can ascribe solely to those "wacky" Japanese?

Oops, wait, I forgot - you ignore me after a few sentences, so you haven't even read this, right? Laughing
einhorn303

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:53 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

I've seen the "low-birthrate - incest trend in anime" argument before and the problem with not challenging it is if it gets repeated enough times then it becomes majority received opinion. There are lots of countries (virtually all of the developed world, in fact) that have experienced lowered birth rates. Is the supposition there that this has resulted in an increased interest in incest themes? Or is this something we can ascribe solely to those "wacky" Japanese?

Or to put it slightly differently: "Low-birthrate may be one factor contributing to incest in anime/manga, but it's not sufficient as the only explaining factor."
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:01 am Reply with quote
Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magika is the one I'm really mostly looking for. Why? Because Gen Urobochi (Fate/Zero, plus all those those fun, wholesome Nitro+ VNs) is writing the scripts, and one of the manga-ka who's doing a manga adaptation of this mention this in her Twitter:

translated by sirn in that fansub forum everyone knows about wrote:
[Mura Chloe is] working on spinoff manga adaption for January anime. Since I'm also in charge of scenario and few characters, it won't stray to much from my style. The anime series has grotesque element in it, so I wish the adaption would went on smoothly…."

I want to know what this grotesque element is and whether all those cutesy, moe PVs are actual utter LIES! Laughing
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:24 am Reply with quote
einhorn303 wrote:
Blood- wrote:

Or to put it slightly differently: "Low-birthrate may be one factor contributing to incest in anime/manga, but it's not sufficient as the only explaining factor."

I would go further. I don't think the decreased incidence of Japanese people having siblings has anything to do with incest in anime/manga at all. I have no sisters. My best friend has one younger sister. Using the assumption above, somebody could conclude that I would, theoretically, have a greater interest in, or be more receptive to, incest themes than my friend because I have not been inoculated against the concept by having had a sister. It's a specious assumption. The fact is both my friend and myself have been raised in a society where incest is a huge taboo. I've never talked to my friend about this topic, but I suspect our views with respect to incest themes would be pretty much the same despite the difference in our personal circumstances.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:34 am Reply with quote
Another thing that has always made me doubt that the "Only people who don't have real sisters are into siscon" logic is: What about people with a mother-con or father-con complex?

I personally love straight shota and mother-son incest, but I still have a mother myself, obviously, and the two things are completely unrelated, separated by a distinct line of 2D and 3D. So it's quite possible for people with siblings to have a sibling-incest fetish, in the same way.
Olivine

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:45 am Reply with quote
@Dargonxtc, Blood-
If you both don't stop fighting over nothing, I'm going to make you hug each other. Anime hyper

@wincest theorists, et. al
I think you guys have it backwards. Why would a sibling relationship appeal at all to people without siblings in the first place? You can easily make a story with girls who look up to and are borderline obsessed with the main character without them being the main character's sister (i.e. "senpai" relationship). The whole wincest theme isn't necessary if that obsessed sort of relationship is the goal. And your theory doesn't explain older sister stories, either.

I think interest in incest themes come more from having strong attachment to your siblings. That doesn't necessarily mean you are interested in your siblings. It just means that fictional sibling relationships are going to evoke those same attachment feelings in you while you're reading/watching. At least, that's what I think makes me interested in teh wincest.

I grew up surrounded by my brother and my cousins, and that hasn't deterred me from incest themes at all, so it looks like I'm a counterexample to your theory. And no, I'm not interested in any member of my family in that way.

@einhorn303
...oedicon? Anime hyper

Last edited by Olivine on Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:09 am; edited 1 time in total
mudduck454

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:55 am Reply with quote
well I went to the dragon crisis main page, and watched the preview of it, and it looks like it could be a good show, sure my favorite voice actress is playing the flat chested loli but hey I try to be fair in my opinion, and the boys name is ryuji, so close your eyes, and you might think of it as another version of toradora.... just kidding,

so check out the trailer: http://dragoncrisis.jp/ then decide if it might be a good show, written descriptions can be misleading, but so can trailers. but I think it will be a decent show, even with the loli.

come on, cant be too bad, it has Rie Kugimiya(my favorite) and Yui Horie, 2 great voice actresses

hope adding a link to the dragon crisis page was ok.....
Etrien

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:55 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Etrien wrote:

As for "wincest" and incest's recent popularity, I'd suspect the reasons to be roughly the same in Japan and America.

And yet, it's not popular in American media.
Well, save for that episode of Family Guy and Star Wars. Laughing

It's not particularly popular in Japan, either, outside of the anime otaku fandom. I can pretty much promise you that the Japanese are not any more accepting of incestual relationships than, say, Americans are. But, within the anime fandom specifically, the subject has gained noticeable recent momentum and seems to have a similar level of appeal internationally.
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:36 am Reply with quote
Olivine wrote:
Why would a sibling relationship appeal at all to people without siblings in the first place?

You can't be that clueless.

Quote:
You can easily make a story with girls who look up to and are borderline obsessed with the main character without them being the main character's sister (i.e. "senpai" relationship).

Yes, of course you can. Shuffle! did something similar with the protagonist's childhood friend, but failed ultimately since it chose a different route.
You can do that with adopted siblings, and childhood friends living under the same roof, but it would require more effort and wouldn't be as appealing to their audience. So, why would they?

Quote:

The whole wincest theme isn't necessary if that obsessed sort of relationship is the goal.

It's necessary to the creators as long as it makes more money.

Quote:
And your theory doesn't explain older sister stories, either.

Which theory? The siblings in Yosuga no Sora are the same age, but one is considered younger probably she was born a few minutes later. And then there's Aki Sora, which doesn't get as much criticism, since it's the male character who pretty much gets raped most of the time.

This is such a melodramatic crap. There's BL, hentai, ecchi, GL, incest, and others, so if you don't like it, keep away. I also find most BL disgusting, but it's not like I'm over there criticizing it for doing what it's best at, gay sex, am I?
Olivine

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:03 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Olivine wrote:
Why would a sibling relationship appeal at all to people without siblings in the first place?

You can't be that clueless.

You could have just answered the question.

egoist wrote:
Quote:
And your theory doesn't explain older sister stories, either.

Which theory?

I was actually talking about this one. Probably should have quoted it.
vashfanatic wrote:
I blame it all on the low birthrate. The idea of a cute younger sibling who looks up to you with dewy and calls you big bwutha and wuvs you so much! has an appeal, and because more and more young people in Japan are only children, they (1) don't get automatically squicked by the idea and (2) don't understand that little siblings are actually really, really annoying.

egoist wrote:
This is such a melodramatic crap. There's BL, hentai, ecchi, GL, incest, and others, so if you don't like it, keep away. I also find most BL disgusting, but it's not like I'm over there criticizing it for doing what it's best at, gay sex, am I?

What did I say?

Bonus round for Einhorn303:
You make a good point. In the same way, I don't think people squirm away from a cousin-cousin relationship because they have cousins. I think its more of a moralistic and/or aesthetic inhibition than anything that causes the 'squick' response, instead of whether the person has a similar relationship in real life.

Last edited by Olivine on Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:09 am; edited 1 time in total
jeroz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:06 am Reply with quote
Can we please stop with this mindless incest discussion?
opn

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:00 pm Reply with quote
the spring season already looks so much better. heres my list in order of importance:
beelzebub the mangas very funny and i have faith that pierrot wont mess it up
level e i been intrested in this one for a while and since its bu the guy who did hunter x hunter and yuyu hakusho i expect great things
dragon quest rie kagumiya is in this...nuff said
gosic its bones they porduced so many great shows like fma and soul eater
just those four for now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 14