• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Can being an anime fan ever fade?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:15 pm Reply with quote
I imagine it can for some, but for others who have been fans most of their lives (such as myself), I don't think it can ever fade. I think emotionally the attachment to your hobby can continuously grow stronger as you discover more about it and it becomes more apart of your life, regardless of your age. Just as long as it doesn't interfere with your ability to be self-sufficient in society.

Anime trends are always changing, as are my tastes so I can can continuously keep interested in it.

For some, anime interferes with relationships and family life but your choices in life are solely yours, if you are happy loving your hobby, you should choose what makes you happiest. There is no abolute expectation or requirement for what kind of happiness people are supposed to have.

If I am expected to raise a family and provide for others, I know it will lessen how much I can enjoy my hobby. I don't see why I should live up to those expectations at the expense of something I truly enjoy. My choice is to keep enjoying anime, having a family or a significant other will always come second. If that person doesn't like it then they can find someone else. I still have my anime.

Are there any longtime fans out there who decided it was time to move on to something else, and why? Or do you new fans not plan on making a lifelong committment to loving anime/manga? I knew from the outset that I would be forever.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Past wrote:
[...]
If I am expected to raise a family and provide for others, I know it will lessen how much I can enjoy my hobby. I don't see why I should live up to those expectations at the expense of something I truly enjoy. My choice is to keep enjoying anime, having a family or a significant other will always come second. If that person doesn't like it then they can find someone else. I still have my anime.
[...]

Oh, you hedonist, you! Razz Smile Very Happy Laughing Cool
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
For some, anime interferes with relationships and family life but your choices in life are solely yours, if you are happy loving your hobby, you should choose what makes you happiest. There is no abolute expectation or requirement for what kind of happiness people are supposed to have.

If our choices were so easy all psychologists would change job.
It's simple to write "do what you enjoy" but I can't imagine a person who was always sure what to choose. Options given to us aren't one-sided so we can't always predict what make us happy for long term, because with every choice we decide to give up something to get something else. Life constantly verifies our opinions and priorities and don't make anything easier.

My hobby was never a thing that could determine my choices in any way. Of course, I couldn't live with someone who threat it as a craziness, but as long as I'm not hardcore otaku it's not possible to happen. It's an extra, a little spice in my life, but not the main course.

If M&A were privileged value in my life I'd never be where I am. Hard studies, far from home, expensive beginning in unknown city that had eaten nearly all my valuable manga items- but I've never thought about it from that point of view. I know I will never have so much time to devote to it as I used to have, but honestly I've barely noticed it.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Past wrote:
I imagine it can for some, but for others who have been fans most of their lives (such as myself), I don't think it can ever fade.

I thought this when I was young too, so it's not surprising this "immortal" view on anime love is strong at this stage in life.

What will happen (note the will) is you'll begin to see recurring series over and over and it'll burn you out despite so much out there. Your tolerance will shrink because as you deal with life, these get dropped to the bottom of the "To Do" list.

I can see fandom remaining life-long with periods of "dark ages" where taking a (much needed) break from anime occurs.

I just recently returned from one of my dark ages and am quite happy. I "left" because of the tremendous and ridiculous amount of mecha anime and "sole defenders" but now it's all little pretties doing nothing but looking good.

Even this, in time, will burn me out, especially since I can definitely see it being milked big time.

Until then, I'll appreciate it while I can.

Uguu.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:37 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
Past wrote:
I imagine it can for some, but for others who have been fans most of their lives (such as myself), I don't think it can ever fade.

I thought this when I was young too, so it's not surprising this "immortal" view on anime love is strong at this stage in life.
I don't think that age has much to do with it though, or it doesn't need to. A big flaw in your theory discounts the fact that anyone can *become* an anime fan at any age. Plus you are implying that I am young, while I am young (I'm only 38), I've been an anime fan for nearly 20 years. I was not an anime fan when I was in my late teens. Isn't this the typical stage in life you are talking about when a hobby might seem impenetrable to other things life throws at you?

Well for me at that age, life was throwing things at me such as what do I want to do with my life, what kind of career, schooling do I want to pursure? I had no time for anime.
dageiver

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:06 pm Reply with quote
My experiences are the same as PetrifiedJello. I have been watching anime for about 15 years and I find the genre often gets caught up in particular niches and I take a break.

Currently the moe factor seams to be in overdrive. The winter line up card floating around on the forums is plain funny as almost every anime on the list minus wolverine has a high moe factor.

I am taking the time to catch up on highly rated anime I have missed and re watch old favourites but I might take a break for a year or so if I run out of material. In the long run I will still be an anime fan and I know I will come back to the medium.
catstigereye

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:31 pm Reply with quote
I had a friend who liked anime. Who now dose not watch or watches very little. I still watch a bit but i loved books first and foremost so reading and stories and plots and the like keep me wanting to see where a plot line leads.

So yes some people move on. I like it enjoy it and love the stories. I enjoy watching an anime on dvd after getting it here at home and watching on tv as compared to a computer screen.
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:48 pm Reply with quote
It's like you read my mind Past. I drive annoyances away; my family was the first, and my only girlfriend the second. I've really enjoyed anime for the past half decade, and I can confidently say that anime has conquered a solid share of my life.
It's always good to exaggerate a bit about a few aspects of anime I like (anime girls for one). Sometimes a few biased people bite, but for the most part I'm just after open-minded people (which seems quite rare, to be fair).
Quote:
Are there any longtime fans out there who decided it was time to move on to something else, and why?

They wouldn't be here in that case, would they? Razz

Quote:
Or do you new fans not plan on making a lifelong commitment to loving anime/manga? I knew from the outset that I would be forever.

I never thought about it until recently, really. At first I was somewhat frustrated at the thought of running out of good anime, but I've, in the past years, realized that it would never happen.

Anime also serves as professional motivation, and emotional support, in my life. There's absolutely nothing worse than going to work and having nothing to look forward to when you get home.

Nowadays I consider anime a never ending hobby. The more series you watch, the more you'll want to re-watch later on, added to the ones coming out, and the ones from the past.
I feel like a dog chasing his tail just to never catch it. And I'm a very happy dog, I tell ya.
EricDent

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:50 pm Reply with quote
As a lifetime anime fan I can clearly say that yes the anime interest does fade over time. Of course I do go back to it quite often, but I do take lots of breaks in watching. I don't watch an entire series in one day like I used to, but spread it out over several days, sometimes weeks.

However when I get a newer show (never do fansubs/streams, just DVDs) I usually do watch it before I continue on a show that I was watching previously.

I guess it really depends on your personality.

I do have several other interests as well, so anime is not my only focus (I also love movies, books, video games, and TCGs). So maybe the anime "burn out" does not affect me.

Plus since I don't have a bunch of $ I can't go out and buy all the stuff they release. I do eventually pick up stuff that I truely enjoy (I did rent/Netflix quite a bit in the past, also watched stuff on Cartoon Network/Sy-Fy/G4).

Maybe if people would quit watching so many shows all at one time, then maybe they would not get "burned out" on anime?
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Maybe if people would quit watching so many shows all at one time, then maybe they would not get "burned out" on anime?

Did you say this on another thread quite recently?

The answer is "yes" for some, and "no" for others. The amount of drink and food a person consumes varies from one to another. Perhaps we should as well acknowledge the existence of "anime obese" people?
EricDent

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Not that I remember.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:07 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
What will happen (note the will) is you'll begin to see recurring series over and over and it'll burn you out despite so much out there. Your tolerance will shrink because as you deal with life, these get dropped to the bottom of the "To Do" list.

For me, the risk of "burn out" (as it were) is -- I believe -- relatively low as anime occupies only a part of my life; so I don't watch anywhere as near as much anime as others do -- and much of what I do watch is either on Cartoon Network, SciFi/Syfy or online.* What's that old saying? "Moderation in all things"?

*Hmmm, I've never heard of G4 before; I'll have to see if Dish Network carries it.
excaliber736

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Are there any longtime fans out there who decided it was time to move on to something else, and why? Or do you new fans not plan on making a lifelong committment to loving anime/manga? I knew from the outset that I would be forever.

Well, this is an interesting topic. Personally, I have found that life is much more enjoyable when it is varied. One's life should never be too focussed on any one thing, or if it is then only for short periods of time as necessary. You only have one chance at living, and you should try to experience as much you can or you may regret it later. I also love anime, but I make sure to balance that with schoolwork, family life, etc. That being said, I will probably remain an anime fan for the rest of my life, though I'm not sure what I am going to do once I run out of good shows to watch and am left with nothing but crap like naruto and DBZ Laughing

In the end, its your life and you need to make your own decisions, but make sure to think them through before you go charging in headlong.

A bientôt!

-excaliber
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:18 pm Reply with quote
If you have broad enough tastes it probably won't because there will always be 4 or 5 shows to catch your interest each season. If you have narrow tastes for the medium it's possible that you'll run out of stuff.

For me it's not possible to "burn out" on anime because it's an entire medium and I like multiple genres. Getting sick and tired of individual shows is entirely possible though, maybe even genres but not entire mediums.

Last edited by Kruszer on Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lil Kis

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Yeah but all the anime is identical they don't have originility anymore. I remeber when I first got into anime I thought it was the best thing. Better than american shows, videogames, comic books, etc. then as I bought more and more anime shows i'm getting less interested.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4