• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Trigun - The Complete Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:46 am Reply with quote
Vash has three guns:

His revolver.
spoiler[His machine-gun inside his fake arm.
His angel-arm.]

This is, I presume, why the show is called "Trigun".
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:51 am Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Vash has three guns:

His revolver.
His angel-arm.]

I guess that could be it. Then again spoiler[His revolver and his angel arm are sort of the same thing.]
clyde the puffy one

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:58 am Reply with quote
Quote:
A great closer rounds out each episode (with different visuals for the final episode), but the opener is far more
awesome

Fixed Cool
BeanBandit

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:39 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised to hear about the animation as I always remember it being of higher quality from most other anime at the time. I'm curious to go back now and compare it to other late 90's/early 00's stuff as admitingly I haven't revisited this show in a number of years.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Vash has three guns:

His revolver.
His angel-arm.]

well that would make proper sense. Though I kinda thought they were a third angel gun around. well only the creator knows. might ask him next manganext convention.

Key wrote:
jr0904 wrote:
also one thing that has been bothering me? WHAT THE HELL WAS UP WITH THAT BLACK CAT??? HUH???

I believe that the correct term is "running gag." Wink

And I agree, there are far more similarities between Vash and Abel Nightroad than between Vash and Kenshin; in fact, I would almost posit that Abel was patterned at least a little off of Vash.

ah no kidding. though users comparing TB as a hellsing clone is kinda weird cause there's no comparisions with Abel as well as Alucard. I still say Abel's more like a Vash clone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
eyeresist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:22 am Reply with quote
I watched Trigun after having seen a lot of other anime, and heard a lot of hype. When I finally watched it, I was disappointed. It's not a terrible show, but if you don't feel a great amount of nostalgia for it, it's not that great, especially in terms of character development and depth. So if you're approaching this show for the first time, it's probably best not to expect the Awesomest Thing Eva.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:05 am Reply with quote
eyeresist wrote:
I watched Trigun after having seen a lot of other anime, and heard a lot of hype. When I finally watched it, I was disappointed. It's not a terrible show, but if you don't feel a great amount of nostalgia for it, it's not that great, especially in terms of character development and depth. So if you're approaching this show for the first time, it's probably best not to expect the Awesomest Thing Eva.

I knew absolutely nothing about Trigun when I bought the show. I had only just gotten into Anime then, and the only reason I picked it up (over other titles) is because it was on sale. I think I also saw the trailer, and liked the intensity of it.

The show didn't immediately blow me away, yet I still thoroughly enjoyed it. The more I watched the more I was into it, and by the end I was totally a fanboy. I was completely sucked in to caring about these oddball fictional characters, and it was probably just the second or third show that I watched which had that effect on me.

If I had gone into it knowing that it was so great I might not have enjoyed it as much as I did. I say "might" because the inherent quality of the show does not change, and it was clear even from the start that this was an excellent series. I could tell that despite not having watched much Anime up till then; I had plenty of books and live-action T.V. series and movies to compare it to.

So I didn't have any nostalgia going into it. No-one can have nostalgia when watching something for the first time, unless the work invokes nostalgia of something else; first love, long summer days, going to the zoo with grandpa, so on and so forth.

Now, that isn't to say I do not currently have any nostalgia towards Trigun. But that's hardly surprising. Despite the negative connotations of the word "nostalgia", sometimes we wistfully remember certain works because they were Just That Good. It is a true classic, one which is more than worthy of the praise that has been heaped onto it, and I will always be comparing it to newer series.

Oh sure, newer shows cannot take its place as being one of the first truly great shows I watched. But, they can match its writing and its characters. Well, they can try. Pretty much impossible to do even that, let alone surpass it.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:34 am Reply with quote
eyeresist wrote:

You know, there's probably no reason you couldn't express your opinion on this without venturing into the obnoxious 'anyone who thinks it's great is just nostalgic' bullcrap.
eyeresist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:18 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
You know, there's probably no reason you couldn't express your opinion on this without venturing into the obnoxious 'anyone who thinks it's great is just nostalgic' bullcrap.

Yeah, obviously expressing my opinion in a mild and reasonable way was "obnoxious" "bullcrap", as you say.

You know, just because someone doesn't like the things you like, that doesn't make them evil.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:10 pm Reply with quote
eyeresist wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:

Yeah, obviously expressing my opinion in a mild and reasonable way was "obnoxious" "bullcrap", as you say.

Saying you thought Trigun was just an okay show is perfectly reasonable. I have no problem with that. Saying that the only reason to think it's great is nostalgia is just a pointless little shot at anyone who does think it's great. There is nothing 'mild' or 'reasonable' about it. It is obnoxious.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:17 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I've been meaning to get this show for years.

Though I really like this show, I wish the manga would get the Ultimate/Brotherhood treatment, because there's some stuff only in the manga that I would love to see animated.

I'm not familiar with the missing stuff just like I was not familiar with the manga's version of FMA until the recent show but regardless I totally agree, I'd LOVE to see this. And I think it's been long enough to bring Trigun back as they did apparently too by suddenly bring out the new movie. I know that back when the movie was in production it was reported by several sites that they did say that if it did well enough they would consider making more Trigun animation so here's hoping especially when it comes here.

Speaking of which, I cannot wait for the movie to finally make it's way here even if it's supposed to be just another potentially really good "mid-season episode-like tale" similar to the still awesome episode-like Bebop movie, can not wait! (especially as long as Funi manages to get the old dub cast back together for at least the four of them ofcourse since they're kind of like the Bebop cast and really such a big part of Trigun's feel now Wink) Smile
bink1227

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:14 am Reply with quote
[quote="DangerMouse"]
penguintruth wrote:

Speaking of which, I cannot wait for the movie to finally make it's way here even if it's supposed to be just another potentially really good "mid-season episode-like tale" similar to the still awesome episode-like Bebop movie, can not wait! (especially as long as Funi manages to get the old dub cast back together for at least the four of them ofcourse since they're kind of like the Bebop cast and really such a big part of Trigun's feel now Wink) Smile

I read in an article...here...that Wolfwood's voice actor will not be in the dub for the movie. I can't help but feel cheated, since Wolfwood is one of my favorite characters of all time...but that's the way the cookie crumbles, I guess...

At least there's still the manga, which is awesome and epic and you don't have to worry about voice actors!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3