• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Key Head: Maeda Working on Possible Angel Beats! Game

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:16 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Emerje wrote:
But we're likely talking about three years from now if at all, I wonder what they'll do to keep people interested in the meantime.

To keep people interested for 3 years would pretty much exhaust the fanbase's interest. Best left alone. No one over here kept us interested in Berserk during the last decade, but we're still hanging in there, right?

There's quite a big difference between Japanese and America otaku. Over here there is still a sizable fandom for shows that came out in the 90s or earlier, once we find something we like we tend to latch on to it and want more. Japan is different, they get things at such a rapid fire pace that if it isn't kept fresh regularly they'll quickly loose interest. Three years is a long time to go without keeping people interested, it doesn't take much for something else to overshadow it. Trigun is a prime example. It started its manga run in '95 and ended in '07, the anime came and went in '98, and merchandise came to an abrupt stop in '05. Three years after the manga ended they made the movie and few people in Japan really seemed to care. It only showed on 10 screens in Japan and soon dropped off. There were comments made during one of ANNs big trips to Japan stating that there was little publicity for the movie and the fans had already moved on to the next big thing. That's what happens when a long running popular franchise drops out of sight for three years in Japan, what chance does Angel Beats! have?

On the bright side it doesn't take much to keep people interested over there, just some merchandise and the occasional manga one-shot (or an ongoing series...) is all it takes. There's a reason why those games commented on by others above keep getting remade and repackaged, if they didn't the fans would move on, more importantly they'd move on to another company. It's a different story here, we seem to value nostalgia more and if we liked something once we'll likely take interest if it gets reinvented in some other way.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
VDZ

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:08 pm Reply with quote
PhoenixHeart wrote:

I'd like to power-up your statement - because speaking of ratings, how about mentioning that CLANNAD After Story is nothing less than the BEST RATED Anime here on AnimeNewsNetwork.
So... *switches to Kayne West voice*
I'm a let you finish, but Jun Maeda wrote one of the BEST ANIME of all time! OF ALL TIME!
...my gosh, sorry Anime hyper

Except Jun Maeda didn' t write anything for Clannad After Story's anime adaptation. He only wrote most of the parts of the original Clannad it was based on (mainly After Story, although there was also some content from other routes in there). But yes, although he didn't have any direct relation to that anime, it was based on his story.

PhoenixHeart wrote:
Still, on the other hand - while I enjoyed Angel Beats! it did have it's major flaws, especially some plot holes and missing characterisation of about half the cast. Seeing that the game is now in the making, it seems like this was purposely planned to give the game more "surprise-appeal" - now you can dive into the individual stories and pasts of the characters and there's lots of new contents. So potentially the game could be "better" than the anime, in terms of how complete it is.

More like Jun Maeda tried to put way, way too much into a 12-episode anime and had to cut lots of stuff. With visual novels it's no problem, as there's no length restriction (Clannad ended up being twice as long as it was planned to be), but in anime it's different, and lots of stuff ended up being cut.

Emerje wrote:
[lots of text implying people will no longer be interested in Angel Beats if the franchise is left alone]

People will be interested in this, if for no other reason than because it's a Key visual novel. Even if they've forgotten the anime, the very fact that it's a new VN from Key should be enough to guarantee plenty of sales.
grooven

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:27 pm Reply with quote
This is what I was really6 looking forward to the actual game! Now stories will be explained and things will now make sense and not be rushed.

Another plus is Maeda would be writing! He is taking the backseat on Rewrite doing only quality control and music. so it will be a treat to read some of his work again!

While I loved the Clannad anime just as much as the game I couldn't help but feel the transition wasn't quite solid. The complex background of the story is real unique to the game. While anime only viewers were left confused.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2