• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Dour &/or depressing anime.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mister V

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:03 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
SaiKano is by the far the most depressing anime I've personally seen to date. It's been a while, but frankly, I have no intention of ever-watching it again. So much death, pain, anguish and sadness for those two and every other freakin' character Anime cry...

Personally, I was very entertained, in a way. I mean, entertainment doesn't always have to be sunshine and flowers, right? I think it's the best tragedy I've seen. I'll certainly watch it again when I'm in the mood, because as a tragedy, it was hugely entertaining.

Wouldn't this new Musashi film also conform to Key's definition?
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:55 am Reply with quote
nbahn wrote:
You have the correct idea! Cool
I'm glad of that. Though it seems to me that your idea could easily be generalised to the point where it becomes meaningless. So in that spirit... Very Happy

What about Alien Nine, a show (and manga) whose whole thrust seems to be to present in as upsetting a way possible a horrifying truth about puberty --- viz. that its changes are so great that they put in question the nature of identity.

[Man, I love I when I get to use viz.] Cool
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:09 am Reply with quote
Mister V wrote:
Personally, I was very entertained, in a way. I mean, entertainment doesn't always have to be sunshine and flowers, right? I think it's the best tragedy I've seen. I'll certainly watch it again when I'm in the mood, because as a tragedy, it was hugely entertaining.

I agree. If tragedy is what you're looking for, then this definitely has it. From what I remember, it wasn't so much about the actual relationship between the two, but the fact that any kind of relation could exist between any one of those characters, even throughout that hellacious setting. It's just a shame so many of those "links" were short-lived because they'd all pretty much die at some point.
hipnox

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:11 am Reply with quote
i dont know if it meets the criteria, because i havnt watched it yet, but im told Casshern sins is actually quite tragic and depressing
lesterf1020
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:51 am Reply with quote
hipnox wrote:
i don't know if it meets the criteria, because i havnt watched it yet, but im told Casshern sins is actually quite tragic and depressing

It is quite slow, sad and depressing but very pretty. If you take the main plot seriously then Gilgamesh is a never ending pot of bleak hopeless despair topped off with a healthy dose of futility. A clear case of the light at the end of the tunnel being an incoming train.
poilk92

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:13 am Reply with quote
I think I understand what you are driving at a little better now but I have to stick to my point that tragedy and purely informative stories are entertainment in their own respect. Though I think the issue isn't whether something lacks entertainment value. Instead it is whether the creators prioritized a message or information more than entertaining the audience which is certainly a respectable goal but i cannot say with confidence i have seen a single anime that lives up to that standard. However I do not believe this is in anyway a fault, to embed information or a message inside an entertaining show is the best way to deliver it (much like coating a pill in sugar if we stick with the medicine metaphor). If you finish watching a series feeling as if you have learned something or understand something better but cannot point out at which point that series made its point that is a greater success than simply preaching
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Haruhi Season 2. That wasn't entertainment, that was an experiment that doubled as a giant F U to fans. As in "we can rerun virtually the same episode for eight times and you will still buy it". I don't know about any of you but I certainly got depressed, mostly at the state of the Anime industry.
hipnox

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:44 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Haruhi Season 2. That wasn't entertainment, that was an experiment that doubled as a giant F U to fans. As in "we can rerun virtually the same episode for eight times and you will still buy it". I don't know about any of you but I certainly got depressed, mostly at the state of the Anime industry.

im not sure that counts
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:47 pm Reply with quote
nbahn wrote:
Key wrote ”of the rare anime out there that you watch to be informed, not to be entertained. It doesn't make an argument or try to dramatize anything; it just lays out there an example of what has happened for viewers to react to or not.”

So: What anime out there fits Key's criteria?

Allow me to focus upon two of the criteria you quote, namely:

1. The criterion that an anime is watched in order to be informed.
  2. The criterion that the anime is not watched in order to be entertained.

I do not consider the proposed titles, viz. Elfen Lied and Now and Then, Here and There, to meet these conditions.

Firstly, we have an intuitive conception of what it means to be informed. Those who wish to be informed intend to learn of certain facts. Whilst both Elfen Lied and Now and Then, Here and There depict activities vaguely similar to certain real events, it is nevertheless the case that they only depict purely fictional actions. They do not reliably inform the viewer of any facts pertaining to the activities of specific real people, since real people are not the "objects" of their depiction. Presumably, the only way by which one can claim that these anime may be watched as a means of being informed is by arguing that their content is still representative of real events or event sorts, and that it is these real events of which a person wishes to be informed whilst watching the anime. This is presumably the argument the original poster intends to make. (One can alternatively argue that fictional events are indeed the things of which people wish to be informed, though this seems unwise: surely we watch fictions not because we wish to learn of their "fictionally informative" content, but instead because we wish to engage in the various responses and contemplation that this content may provide.)

Secondly, it is intuitively false to say that Elfen Lied and Now and Then, Here and There are not watched as a means of being entertained, presuming that one considers certain experiences of excitement and sorrow — namely those caused by fictions — to be instances of entertainment. Fans of such titles have much to say of the thrilling and moving experiences they provide, and these fans' accounts are often so vivid as to suggest that said experiences are the most valuable things to gain from viewing.

I must ask the original poster two questions, each pertaining to one of the above two paragraphs.

1. When we watch a depiction of unquestionably fictional suffering, do we watch it because we desire to become informed of any real episodes of suffering it may resemble? (I have chosen to cite suffering for convenience when asking this question, in virtue of the series under discussion.)
  2. As has been assumed by Mister V, Tony K and myself, can entertainment involve the evocation of "negative" emotions and attitudes?

By addressing these questions, the original poster might perhaps be able to clarify their position and thereby counter my criticisms. (I should note that upon reflection, there exist relatively straightforward responses to at least one of my questions.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:56 pm Reply with quote
hipnox wrote:
im not sure that counts

I think it largely does, at least on a personal level. As I said before, I certainly didn't see Endless Eight as supposed to be entertaining. But I did find it informative as to how mindless the typical Otaku is, and how cynical the companies that exploit these mindless consumers are.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:28 pm Reply with quote
I believe most of the titles mentioned do try to dramatize events (like Rumbling Hearts), it's not an anime that you just watch to be informed, like Key said. Grave of the fireflies is indeed a good example.

However, if there's one title I think is depressing - it's Bokura ga ita. First it was indeed entertaining. spoiler[Maybe it's just me, but after ten episodes or so, it gets harder and harder to watch!] And then spoiler[in the end, that train scene... ]
poilk92

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:45 pm Reply with quote
@Zin5ki

Maybe we should look at it differently. Rather than an anime that was not intended as entertainment the original poster is looking for something that was not entertaining to watch BUT you feel like after seeing it you are better informed. That is what the original thread seemed to focus on and I am fairly certain every anime was designed to be enjoyed to some degree or it wouldn't be made so that argument is simply DOA
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:28 pm Reply with quote
poilk92 wrote:
Rather than an anime that was not intended as entertainment the original poster is looking for something that was not entertaining to watch BUT you feel like after seeing it you are better informed.

Do you mean to suggest an anime that is somehow successful as an educational resource of sorts, in spite of its failure as an entertaining one?
There may be titles fitting this criterion, though I am disinclined to consider Elfen Lied one of them. Whilst I learned very little from watching it, I still gained substantially.

Last edited by Zin5ki on Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:35 pm Reply with quote
"Better informed?" Yeah, that sounds like an accurate assessment. Most of the melancholy or bittersweet titles I've seen often feel darker and more cumbersome in atmosphere, but in exchange can depict some poignant allegories, symbolism, and whatnot in the form of character drama, plot twists, or visual representation. Those were some of the qualities I liked so much about Satoshi Kon's work and also enjoyed in Monster, Mushi-shi, Jin-roh, and probably a bunch of other titles that escape my mind at the moment.

I suppose it comes down to the nature of the genre, though. As much as I'd like to praise a few select shounen series for their equally enlightening stories, I think most of the dour and depressing stuff tend to do this better than most because there aren't any superpowered fighters, giant robots, or big bouncing tits to distract and tarnish the more serious points of the writing.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Many of the ones I've seen have probabally already been mentioned but I put forth a couple:

Hell Girl- All three series are incredibly depressing and hopeless. As it's about a group of demons sending people to Hell on the behest of people who have grudges against them with the price being the sender's own soul. spoiler[Often the person that gets sent hell doesn't really deserve it, and even if the sender was a good person they still go to Hell when they die.]

Kurozuka- Basically the whole affair was spoiler[a giant endlessly repeating cycle where the vampire lady plays a game with her lover by manipulating both sides of a conflict so that he will find her. In the process millions die, and when he finds her she cuts his head off and plops it on another body to do it all over again. ]

Tokyo Magnitude 8.0- Well, it's an earthquake disaster series so naturally you have lots of death and destruction.

These series were actually good though, which is more than I can say for some other series mentioned up thread. Personally, I don't mind a bit of depression I just don't like it in large fatalistic doses like Gantz, Gilgamesh, or Texhnolyze. I will also usually hate most romantic tragedy pieces.

Last edited by Kruszer on Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:29 pm; edited 5 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3