• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Robo Formers, what the shiz is this?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jsyxx

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 11:50 pm Reply with quote
I saw two of these old tapes from 1990 while looking through the used videos bin at the local comic book store. It was called Robo Formers and had these pictures of mechs on the front on back. They looked very anime style to me. Almost like they were from a Go Nagi show. One of them was red though, I don't know if it was Mazinger Z, but maybe it wasn't. The show was obviously dated from looking at the pics. One of the covers also had a picture of scientist on it and he looked sorta anime style, but I don't think the charcter design was too animeish to be definant. Was this anime re-packaged for America? I don't know if they ever showed this in America ever, even if they released the tapes. I watched a ton of cartoons during that time period, and I never came across anything called Robo Formers. Obviously the name is knock-off of Transformers, but the only US Transformers knock-off I'm aware of was the Gobots.
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 7:33 pm Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:
I saw two of these old tapes from 1990 while looking through the used videos bin at the local comic book store. It was called Robo Formers and had these pictures of mechs on the front on back.

RoboFormers... heh. I got my first few tapes of them last year.

Which tapes are they? Starvengers? Star Attack? Star-whatever?

It doesn't much matter; it's a series of somewhere between 5 and 10 VHS, which are copies of the original English dub of Force Five, from the early 80s.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Cookie wrote:

It doesn't much matter; it's a series of somewhere between 5 and 10 VHS, which are copies of the original English dub of Force Five, from the early 80s.

Fox Force Five? I thought that was a pilot for a series starring Mia Wallace that never got made into a series. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1