• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What do you do when you feel burnt-out on anime?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anime racket

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:46 pm Reply with quote
I'm asking because that's how I've felt for awhile now. Before I
could watch an 24 episode anime series over and over without
stopping and now I sometimes can't even bring myself to watch
a full episode.

I've been playing video games and focusing on Real Life instead.
shadow13

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:53 pm Reply with quote
anime racket wrote:
focusing on Real Life instead.
Is that such a bad thing? Maybe your brain is telling you that you need a break, I would say wait a bit and seem if that rekindles your interest.
Saffire

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Cut back or just stop watching completely for a while. It's entertainment; there's no hurry or obligation to take in everything at once. It'll still be there when you feel like watching again. Smile
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Pretty sure you've answered your own question there.

If you're a bit tired of anime but still want to involve yourself in Japanese culture, there are some great live action films around.
anime racket

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Yeah you guys are probably right, I should probably just stop watching for a while.
dirkusbirkus; what live action films would you recommend? Smile
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:56 pm Reply with quote
I am personally at that point myself as of now. You can continue to watch anime but what I have personally learned is that you need to spread your genre horizon. Another good step is to pick your shows carefully, do not over consume to much at once or you will be come a cynical a-hole like I am on certain shows. If you are excited about a new anime for the love of god do some research, see what it's based on.

Who is directing it or what studio is producing it, does the show have any source material like a manga or visual novel so you can gist of what it will be like. This will help you l make better decisions if you still care to watch any shows at all. If you are at that complete burn-out stage like me then use the information above and try to only watch 4-5 shows a season or even less. Also keep in mind try to level out by watching some shows with real people.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:59 pm Reply with quote
I have no idea what I do when I feel burnt-out on anime because it hasn't happened yet. At it better not happen until I have watched all the backlogged anime I have spent thousands of dollars on.
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:54 pm Reply with quote
anime racket wrote:
dirkusbirkus; what live action films would you recommend? Smile

That depends entirely on your tastes, unfortunately. A lot of people get into asian cinema through horror films like Ring, One Missed Call, The Grudge, etc. They've all been remade by hollywood now but the originals are far superior. Marebito is a film in that vein that's probably less well known, and it's pretty good.

If you don't mind a healthy dose of crazy with your films, then Miike Takashi makes some really interesting features. You'll possibly have heard of Ichi the Killer, as weird as it sounds it's probably one of his more accessible works, haha. Audition is a great psychological thriller as well. There's a healthy dose of gore and dismemberment involved so if that's not your bag you'll want to steer clear. Visitor Q is also a bit of a headfuck so you might want to pass that one over too.

He also did 13 Assassins more recently, that's a pretty good samurai romp even if it does borrow heavily from Kurosawa Akira. The Azumi films are more wholesome samurai adventure. If you haven't seen Battle Royale yet you need to. Love Exposure is awesome...

Seriously, I could just go on listing stuff I like personally but you'd have to find something to suit your own tastes. if you're willing to venture outside of Japan then some excellent films come out of South Korea, you'll want to look into the work of Park Chan-Wook (the vengeance trilogy especially).

It's well worth spending a couple of hours reading about asian cinema and picking whatever sounds appealing to you. Since you're already accustomed to some of the cultural nuances through watching anime, it's a nice change for when you get burnt out. I've just scratched the surface here with some of the more well known titles, there are a ton of gems if you invest time looking for them.
bllanosr

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:00 pm Reply with quote
I go in and out of anime all the time. I've been watching anime since I was 13 and I've gone through an anime mania and watched a whole bunch in a short period. Then take a short and sometimes long sabatical from it. For me sometimes watching horror and mystery anime gets me a little more interested in anime. Not saying it's true for everyone, but mystery animes kind of force you to get more involved in the story line than your standard kick back and watch animes. Horrow anime just scares me and I'm into that kind of genre. Might want to try watching animes where you are trying to figure out what's going on. If you aren't already watching Another or Mirai Nikki might want to try those out.

Also just like everyone else above me stated, it's not so bad to focus on real life and take a break.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:35 am Reply with quote
I wouldn't know. I've been watching anime like 16 years and it's never happened. Probably because I enjoy a large amount of genres.
DJcream

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:53 am Reply with quote
I always feel completely burnt out on anime after major conventions where I'm completely immersed in watching anime, discussing it and being around cosplayers and naming what show they're representing.

By comparison, it's a lot that I normally take in where I watch one or two simulcasts every couple days or so, which is why I enjoy having a stream schedule. After I get my week's worth of Chihayafuru, I move on with the rest of my day with work, watching basketball, playing videos games or bike riding. In other words, enjoying not watching anime.
An1fr3ak

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:52 am Reply with quote
I can't say I've ever had a complete burn-out. Usual what happens is, I over-abuse anime for one week, then I do the same for gaming the next week. So I try to keep a balance between gaming (PS3, 3DS, computer and Vita when it gets more interesting) and anime. Every now and again I'll throw in the random TV series I just bought a box set of (i.e. - House, Burn Notice etc etc). On the occasion, I'll also spend two or three weeks where I balance everything on a daily basis, which can get very hectic. Therefore, because I tend to keep a good balance, I probably will never have a full burn-out.
anime racket

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:53 am Reply with quote
@dirkusbirkus

I've been thinking about watching some of Akira Kurosawa's
films for a while. Samurai Seven sounds like a cool movie.
Also, as a fan the Hunger Games, Battle Royal intrigues me.

Edit: Oh yes, I've heard of Ichi the Killer before. It sound rather...
gruesome.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:47 pm Reply with quote
I find that sacrificing virgins to a demonic power and drinking their blood helps me refocus my interest. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:10 pm Reply with quote
I hope you use virgins from verified sources and drink only 100% pure blood with Count Dracula's quality&health certificate. By the way I find effects of regular drinking Tibetan herbs brewed in phoenix's tears more effective. Wink

Seriously?
If I haven't got anything to watch I switch to reading.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3