• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
most popular anime/manga in UK/France?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 12:50 am Reply with quote
Here's a little quiz for y'all: what do you think are the most popular anime/manga in the UK and in France? And I mean all-time popular, not just the most recent fads. Popularity as it's understood in the "real world": mainstream recognition.

Of course there are some title that are extremely popular *everywhere*, like Akira, Dragonball and Evangelion. But I'm thinking there may be some local preferences. For example, if France is anything like Quebec, Albator (Captain Harlock) and Goldorak (Grendizer) would be really popular over there. To the point that anyone in the street are likely to recognize them.

So, to re-state; what do you think are the most all-time popular anime/manga in the UK? And in France?

Last edited by Dan42 on Fri Sep 03, 2004 1:07 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 12:59 am Reply with quote
In the UK...this is tough. Best selling DVD/video would probobly be either GitS or Ninja Scroll, or maybe Blood. I looked the most popular anime there in 2003 up, but that doesn't really count...
And I don't know a thing about anime in france, but manga is huge over there. They have so many great titles... I would guess something like Gunsmith Cats would take it. Just a guess though.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 1:53 am Reply with quote
I don't think any single manga was ever quite as popular in French market as Dragonball (the French release didn't distinguish between the original and Z in the title), and that's really saying something since the market for comics in France is a heckuva lot larger than the North American market on a per capita basis.

I'd imagine Naruto probably approaches that level of popularity in French now, since the last volume of Dragonball in French appeared a couple of years back.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BERSERK EVA

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 2:01 am Reply with quote
I remember being in France and Switzerland and Dragon Ball/ Dragon Ball Z was huge. And i mean huge. Stores had all sorts of merchandise, they had those quarter machine type things every were, and it was on tv like 24/7. That was a while ago but when my friends went before me Dragon Ball/ Dragon Ball Z was huge then too. So I side with Dragon Ball/ Dragon Ball Z.
king_micah

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 2:29 am Reply with quote
I want to say Lupin for France. Dunno for England, Perhaps Macross?
cyrax777

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 5:29 am Reply with quote
dont know but I know in germany and switzerland I saw Hellsing on TV along with Noir and a couple of others. No anime was on TV when I was in england the same time period but then agien I didn't watch much tv when I was in london since I was only there a evening since my flight to switlzerland was the next day. And one of my Cousins was reading the German version of Monster. dont know.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Sarki-Kun

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 5:51 am Reply with quote
Ha, I've been for a month in UK, so I guess I have a vague idea. Let's start with anime. The weekends, a few channels were airing Yu-Gi-Oh for a long time. For example, you could saw over 180 minutes of that serie in different channels during weekends mornings. The most popular anime channel there is also Toonami, where after 19:00, things left to be american cartoons to anime. Dragon Ball series (also DBZ and DBGT were the most repetitive, over 3 hours every day. However, I imagine that as all europeans contries, people usually download Naruto, FMA and other series.

About manga...That's harder. I should guess that the favourites were GTO, Mars, Tokyo Mew Mew, and other that I didn't pay too much attemption. However, this is just for the largest collections I saw there...

France, no idea. Just as ever, european country, they probably download the before mentioned series.

I also don't know if Dan knows the favourite collections in both countries, or if he's just requesting some information. But, I don't know why he would need it...
Guilhem

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:52 am Reply with quote
Ah, anime in France...

For people of my generation it's synonim of Grendizer and Candy Candy above everything else, but also Harlock and Captain Future with some He-Man and She-Ra (sp?) as well as Space Adventure Cobra, Jayce and the wheeled warriors, Cat's Eye, Transformers and of course Robotech... For a 'younger' audience, it's definitely Dragon Ball, Saint Seyia and Fist of the North Star as well as City Hunter, Ranma ½, Captain Tsubasa and Attacker You ! but things like Sailor Moon had some success aswell

Then we got Akira at the very beginning of the 90s and things began to become more confusing because people understood they had been 'fooled' with badly translated and/or censured shows. Some of them got the thing that anime was in fact far much more interesting than what they saw on TV and began to explore various ways -more or less legal- to get 'better' animes while independant video companies attempted to exploit this new opportunity to make money... I think it is the period where it began impossible to know what anime was the most popular, all the more as there was an 'explosion' of private cable TV networks in the same time which all more or less gave a try to animes with shows such as Escaflowne for example (I don't know very well the details because I didn't have cable TV...)

Nowadays, Revolutionary Girl Utena, Vandread, GTO, Hellsing and South Park all do pretty well but the majority of the older shows have all been reedited both in video tapes and DVDs and still make good sales. Overally, you can find more or less easily the same shows than in the USAs though there's often some delays because of translation things

'Hope it helps Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Maccers

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 9:48 am Reply with quote
Well, since i Live in the U.K, i can tell you some of the most popular anime over here.

Since the DBZ phenomenon virtually died in the U.K after its final episode was shown in late 2002 the most popular series i would say would have to be Evangelion, almost any anime fan in the U.K rates that in they're top 3. After that i would proboly say the obvious ones like Ghost in the Shell and Akira, but mostly Evangelion is the main event here.

As for anime on UK TV, Dragonball, Dragonball Z and DBGT all show a few times a day here on the Toonami Channel.
Outlaw Star is shown nightly at 10:30pm, whilst Big O follows at 11:00pm. Also the Sci-Fi channel has shown quite a few anime like Excel saga, Evangelion, Nadesico and Arc the lad. Also Fist of the north Star is being shown on the sci-fi channel daily.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 10:06 am Reply with quote
I KNOW there's a large French fanbase for Kaori Yuki that's perhaps larger than America's, so I'm going to throw down the title Angel Sanctuary as possibly being very popular there, at least with the female fans.

I'll also throw in Rose of Versailles, even though it came out in France in the ... 70s? I don't know, all I know is they're responsible for the live action movie.
Sarki-Kun

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 10:20 am Reply with quote
Hey, Maccers, you made myself remeber old times there, hehe. So, looks like the programation in Toonami still hasn't changed, hehe. I even remember that Outlaw Star was aired at 22:00 and over 4:00 (am). I really loved watchin' it.

However, we (Spain) also have good night anime channels....Hum....Buwaaa!! Crying or Very sad They stopped airing Boogiebob Phantom, ;P
Guilhem

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 10:21 am Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
also throw in Rose of Versailles, even though it came out in France in the ... 70s? I don't know, all I know is they're responsible for the live action movie.

It was at the very beginning of the 80s IIRC, around 82-83, something like that. And yes, it was very popular aswell: I'd really have wished to see more of it but we all know the deal (school, homeworks, parents, bla-bla,...) Razz

Never heard of Angel Sanctuary on the french TV network however, maybe on a different name though (yes, because it has been a pain in the ass to find the english translations of the anime titles I quoted in my previous post Very Happy )

EDIT: typos...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 10:37 am Reply with quote
Guilhem wrote:
Never heard of Angel Sanctuary on the french TV network however, maybe on a different name though (yes, because it has been a pain in the ass to find the english translations of the anime titles I quoted in my previous post Very Happy )

EDIT: typos...

Ah yes... I forgot that little anime bit. Angel Sanctuary, as well as Kaori Yuki's other titles never got more than a 3 episode OAV. That could be why you've never heard of it outside of the manga area. The OAV for Angel Sanctuary was gawdaweful too. >.<
Thingol

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 1:44 pm Reply with quote
I think Saint Seiya (Knights of the Zodiac), is one of the most popular show in France. Rolling Eyes
Maccers

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Saint Seiya (K.O.T.Z) also very popular in Latin America, I went there on holiday to Brazil in August. Its the DBZ of Latin America.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2