• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The stuff you never knew was anime

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wizard55

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:56 pm Reply with quote
I found this site a few months ago and think it is awesome!!! It all started with me finding out I had a tape of Cinderella and Pinocchio laying around that were actually dubbed versions of forgotten anime series!! Grimm's Fairy Tale Classics(Grim Dowa)(Grimm Meisaku Gekijoo) and The Adventures of Pinocchio(Kashi No Ki Mokku)

http://www.pelleas.net/wmt/ go to the top and go to videos.

I now like to go to thrift sales and other places to find these old tapes out there that you would never guess were anime.
There were anime versions of "Little House on the Prairie", "Peter Pan", "Treasure Island". "The Little Mermaid", and the anime "Grimm's Fairy Tale Classics" had anime versions of Cinderella, Snow White, and all the other fairy tales.

and you can even catch one of these old animes on the religious channel TBN on Saturday mornings called "The Flying House"

This is so interesting to me and if anyone wants the dubbed opening music to The Adventures of Pinocchio please pm me your email.

so, anyways, what do you all think of these old animes??
Annie_Jr

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 12:14 am Reply with quote
Yep! I remember all of these when they came out. Very interesting. I see someone finally pointed that out.
Shiki MSHTS

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 12:19 am Reply with quote
Haha. I caught some anime on some catholic channel about the March around Jericho. I'm really too lazy to figure out what it was, but it looks like it must at least have been from the 80's or earlier. I honestly wasn't able to tell immediately that it was anime, but it slowly became more evident.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Annie_Jr

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 12:23 am Reply with quote
I remember in the late 80's on my KVBA religious network, they broadcasted an anime show. I think it was "Swiss Family Robinson". Right away I could tell it was an anime just by looking at the characters and setting.
wizard55

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 1:03 am Reply with quote
Annie_Jr wrote:
I remember in the late 80's on my KVBA religious network, they broadcasted an anime show. I think it was "Swiss Family Robinson". Right away I could tell it was an anime just by looking at the characters and setting.

your right!, that was called "The Robinson Family Lost at Sea" or "Robinson kazoku hyoryuki fushigi na shima no furoone"

http://www.pelleas.net/dbman/db.cgi?db=wmt&uid=default&ID=012&view_records=1
firegirl22

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 1:18 am Reply with quote
Did they make a movie off of this? Like American-made? I think I've seen that, and maybe the anime as well. It was awhile ago though, so I'm not sure.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 1:55 am Reply with quote
I've owned the StarMaker vhs release of the Little Mermaid since, well, since I can remember, and realised it was an anime when I was about 12. I've been showing it to my friends telling them it's what Disney "knocked off", course I have no proof of that really. I love it because the sea witch is so... cool in it, and the 70's sounding music just adds fun to it. *loves Fitz the dolphin*

I also remember seeing the Swiss Family Robinson tv series as well, it was on some sort of Family channel way back when, and Nicklelodeon showed the Grim's Fairy Tale's on their noon Special Edition spot.
wizard55

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 1:15 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
I've owned the StarMaker vhs release of the Little Mermaid since, well, since I can remember, and realised it was an anime when I was about 12. I've been showing it to my friends telling them it's what Disney "knocked off", course I have no proof of that really. I love it because the sea witch is so... cool in it, and the 70's sounding music just adds fun to it. *loves Fitz the dolphin*

I also remember seeing the Swiss Family Robinson tv series as well, it was on some sort of Family channel way back when, and Nicklelodeon showed the Grim's Fairy Tale's on their noon Special Edition spot.

Yeah, it aired on the early Fox Family Channel and Nickelodoeon was showing lots of these old animes. They also showed stuff like The Little Prince and David the Gnome(not sure if this was anime). I am going to try and pick up some of these old animes next time I go to Good Will. Because I saw a few there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1