• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
FLCL Vol 2 Release date 2/25/03! WTF?!?!

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lowen Na

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Occording to Synch Point's web site the DUB ADR for the all six episodes were finished a year ago. At this rate, after they push back vol2 4 or 5 times to 8/20/2003, they won't be even get the the last volume for 2 years.

How hard is it to press and package DVDs? Goodness incarnate, I hope that they never ever ever get the US rights to anything else I want. I think I just might get the import disk. After the first disk, they all have english subs anyways.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 9:23 pm Reply with quote
First off, buying FLCL from Japan means paying for one episode per dvd. Second of all, Synch Point has to get extras like commentary, which depend on the Japanese staff being free to do the job.
Gai Super Napalm

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Kudos to synchpoint for taking the time to do the job right. I wouldn't trade my FLCL DVD for anything; the mountain of extras, the translation, and the overall care that was taken into producing it made it well worth the wait.

(true) Dual sided covers, a massive insert manual with the manga scene in translated print so you can actually follow it, fairly extensive translation notes, ALL japanese materials included in translated form and explained, plus commentary tracks. I haven't seen a more complete release. Other companies should use it as an example, but unfortunately, too many anime fans are victim of the "ima kore ga hoshiin da" syndrome and have crucified the FLCL release for its delays. Other people complain about an episode count double that of the Japanese dvds, while at the same time threatening to just import the R2s for the rest of the series. I've seen it done. Its really a sad state of affairs.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2002 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Lowen Na wrote:

Occording to Synch Point's web site the DUB ADR for the all six episodes were finished a year ago. At this rate, after they push back vol2 4 or 5 times to 8/20/2003, they won't be even get the the last volume for 2 years.

In addition to what Gai and Gatsu said, I'd like to remindyou that Synch Point went through a major corporate restructuring earlier this year (something that we covered quite in depth, but next to no one else did) and that is a huge part of the reason everything was pushed way, way back.

There's no hiding it, Synch Point has been horribly late with all its titles since its inception. But hopefully when they get their business sorted out, they'll also get their act together on delivery dates.

-t
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1