• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
samurai champloo!!!!!!!!!

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kaosrave

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 11:42 am Reply with quote
hey guys i just seen the first episode of samuria chamloo and it looks like a great sucess. and remember a while back someone wanted to create an anime comic book that has a hip hop theme to it, well someone said it wouldnt go together but they should take that back. Anime and hip hop do go together to be truthfull that anime was really amazing.
UberTai

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 12:06 pm Reply with quote
A manga with a hip-hop theme? Look towards @large.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
light_inu_yasha

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Anime and hip hop!?! no for me. amine and hard rock, now thats cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 2:08 pm Reply with quote
osiriz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 2:13 pm Reply with quote
eeew. Im not gonna watch it just because its hip-hop in it. :/ why did they have to ruin it like that?
GoldHawk021

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 5:08 pm Reply with quote
osiriz Wrote:
Quote:
eeew. Im not gonna watch it just because its hip-hop in it. :/ why did they have to ruin it like that?

Remeber there talking about J/hip hop. You should see it cause the creators of Cowboy Bebop ,Wolf's Rain etc. Are the one that directed
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 2:17 am Reply with quote
GoldHawk021 wrote:

Remeber there talking about J/hip hop. You should see it cause the creators of Cowboy Bebop ,Wolf's Rain etc. Are the one that directed

Actually Shinichiro Watanabe (Director: Cowboy Bebop, Macross Plus, t.A.T.u. Paragate, Unit Director: MS Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory, Escaflowme) didn't have anything to do with Wolf's Rain, although it's true that many of the staff that worked with him on Bebop also worked on Wolf's Rain and are now working on Champloo.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 12:39 pm Reply with quote
osiriz wrote:

How do you know if it's bad or not? You haven't even seen it. The hip-hop is just more of a stylistic element to make the show look cool, much like the bebop style of jazz in Cowboy Bebop.

The show itself is really more of a "samurai" kind of atmosphere, only with some fast and up-pace beats to get you into the action.

I don't think it's nice to discriminate a show either just based on it's supposed music (which I don't think you've heard yet). Trust me, it's not like gangsta rap or anything like that. The "hip-hop" they use it just for being flashy, and that's basically it.

I recommend you at least watch the first episode. It's very fun to watch, even if you don't like hip-hop. If you don't like it, then I guess you're free to hate it all you want, given that you have some good reasoning and don't just say you hate it just for the hip-hop. Wink
Ramiel_X

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Don't be a fool osiriz, I hate hip-hop and rap.....but this show is freaking awesome. I mean, it is all about samurai and stuff, the hip-hop isn't even that big a deal. Just watch it for the samurai.
Sam.:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 12:58 pm Reply with quote
i think that the hip-hop! theme only blends with the anime style that has samurai-sword-fights in them. [Rurouni Kenshin, Samurai Champloo] Rap would defintaly not work for anime with gun fights in them. [Trigun, Gungrave] Rap doesn't even suit Gundam, DBZ, Berserk, Yu Yu Hakusho or Inuyasha. but Bebop?? .....it might i don't know... what do you think dudes?

light_inu_yasha wrote:
Anime and hip hop!?! no for me. amine and hard rock, now thats cool

listen osiriz, i used to think that too. but my thinking has changed after watching the first few eps of Samurai Champloo and Peace Maker. Rap and anime definatly blend together. Especailly anime shows with samurai-sword-fights. On the other hand i agree with you, that anime with gun-fights or other action animes are diffrent, and i think hard rock or soft rock suits those anime shows the best.

btw what do you guys think about if Cowboy Bebop had a hip hop theme to it. hahahah lol that would he hilarious. It would suit our age group anime fans and teenagers perfect. The only reason Bebop got so popular was because of the Jazz Music, therefore the older anime fans liked it a lot. Bebop was made for an older more mature aduience. Now with Samurai Champool, Watanabe, is definatly targeting the teenage or younger anime fans. I like it. i like it a lot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Sam.: wrote:
i think that the hip-hop! theme only blends with the anime style that has samurai-sword-fights in them. [Rurouni Kenshin, Samurai Champloo]

Eh? I don't remember any hip-hop in Rurouni Kenshin Shocked.

Rap would defintaly not work for anime with gun fights in them. [Trigun, Gungrave]

Actually it might, depending on the context of the show. But seeing as how you pointed out Trigun and Gungrave, the music was composed by the same guy (Tsuneo Imahori), who coincidentally also played guitar for Cowboy Bebop.

btw what do you guys think about if Cowboy Bebop had a hip hop theme to it. hahahah lol that would he hilarious.

Then it'd probably be called "Cowboy Hip-hop" Laughing (lame Embarassed).

The only reason Bebop got so popular was because of the Jazz Music, therefore the older anime fans liked it a lot. Bebop was made for an older more mature aduience.

Not necessarily. I would say the music really helps, but in addition, I'd say the characters, along with the music, are very cool as well, giving the show a good melding of elements.

And I wouldn't say it was for more mature audiences either. Do remember that it was made in Japan, and though I'm not very informed on how they perceive jazz over there, I'm pretty sure the show wasn't meant for just older people who actually know jazz.

Here in the U.S. though, jazz is pretty poplular, given that it did start in this country (though it's not as mainstream as it used to be), and I just think the way Mr. Watanabe handled it was a really good mix of both the old and new styled cultures all meshed toghter (jazz and space in Bebop, feudal Japan and hip-hop in Champloo.)

I'm only 20 and never really cared for jazz till I saw Bebop, so I guess his "style" is to have a little something for everyone (maybe Anime catgrin).

Last edited by Tony K. on Wed Jul 07, 2004 4:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Spooky Electric

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 1:39 pm Reply with quote
What ever happened to that "Nelly Music Manga" TP had in the back of some of their books...? Sad

Because god knows Nelly is Japanese.
GoldHawk021

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, Like Tony K.-San said. You not a hip hop fan. It dosen't matter. Samurai Champloo does kicks ass. Hip hop fan or not.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:

I'm only 20 and never really cared for jazz till I saw Bebop, so I guess his "style" is to have a little something for everyone (maybe Anime catgrin).

Of course, a lot of that credit belongs to Kanno-san, for her terrific soundtracks!
Sam.:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 10:11 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Tony K."]
i think that the hip-hop! theme only blends with the anime style that has samurai-sword-fights in them. [Rurouni Kenshin, Samurai Champloo]

Eh? I don't remember any hip-hop in Rurouni Kenshin Shocked.

i just just giving an example. ^__^ if they did have rap in Kenshi then it blend well with the anime.

personlaly i like they way you said it.. jazz and space in Bebop, feudal Japan and hip-hop in Champloo.. i understant what u are saying. but read my post again i was ONLY talking only about the music and not the background setting.

all i ment to say is rap music goes well with "Martial Arts Anime with swords" and hark rock goes well with "Gun action Anime.

if you read my post again you 'll understand what i was trying to say.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3