• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tell me about Shingu: Secret of the Stellar Wars.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
musashi1600

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:44 pm Reply with quote
A forum search didn't turn up much about this anime, so I'm asking about it now.

I stumbled across this title on a "favorites" list by a Japanese blogger who likes Haibane Renmei, and I'm wondering if this is something worth buying. The encyclopedia listing calls it a sci-fi adventure anime, but I've also read it does a good job of creating interesting characters, and could fit within the slice-of-life genre.

All I ask for out of the anime I watch is that it has an interesting plot, and well-rounded characters I care about. My list includes Haibane Renmei, Kamichu, and Millenium Actress at the top if that's any help as to what to compare this to.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:22 am Reply with quote
Did you happen to see this article on ANN?

animenewsnetwork.com/buried-treasure/2008-05-15/shingu

I thought it was a pretty good show. Sometimes a bit too slow-paced and relaxed for its own good (especially the OP/ED songs), but it is good at creating interesting characters (from the ordinary to the mysterious) and entertaining situations that don't come off as cheesy or clichéd, most of the time. Oh yeah, and I guess there's also some kind of alien invasion going on. <- That's roughly the attitude that the show's characters take on, and it all adds up to the closest thing to "slice-of-life sci-fi" that you can get. If you don't mind the slow-paced, whimsical nature of series like Haibane Renmei and Kamichu, Shingu should be a good choice. These days the DVDs are so cheap at rightstuf and Amazon that there's no big risk in impulse-buying it.
musashi1600

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:15 am Reply with quote
Sounds like my kind of show; based on what you and the article say (and what little else I know), the only things keeping me from watching it are a lack of money and time. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1