• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GTO

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
firegirl22

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 8:06 pm Reply with quote
I bought the first dvd, and I noticed that the episodes got better as they went along, and since I can get most of the rest of the series for $10 each, I was thinking that maybe I should. What's your take on it, I mean, a lot of people seem to like this series a lot, and if you do, then why do you enjoy it?
Thanks.
Lone Wolf and Cub

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 8:33 pm Reply with quote
firegirl22 wrote:
I bought the first dvd, and I noticed that the episodes got better as they went along, and since I can get most of the rest of the series for $10 each, I was thinking that maybe I should. What's your take on it, I mean, a lot of people seem to like this series a lot, and if you do, then why do you enjoy it?
Thanks.

The series is good, but the dub is bad. Not the male voices, most of them are actually really good(except for Keikuchi). Almost every female voice just sucks. I enjoy this series for a lot of reasons, but the biggest is just how much it seems to make me laugh. I love the characters, and the music is pretty good. I've heard that the live action series is much better than the anime, but I would not know anything about that since I have not seen it. I would say that for $10 a pop, it is worth it. At least buy another DVD and see what you think.

~LoneWolf
SuperOnizuka

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 8:57 pm Reply with quote
You can get the rest of the DVDs for 10$ a piece?

Anyway, I love GTO! In fact it is my very favorite anime, manga, and live action drama. Very socially aware too.

Anyway, I second that the dubs is not great, although Urumi Kanzaki's english VA, did a pretty good job for her.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Nuriko-chan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:32 pm Reply with quote
I love the series^_^. Buy it!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Ken Hayashi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Yes, I love the series. And it's not as episodic as some so you actually get to see the story progress. I only find that the animation style is a little "odd" that's all. If you can, you should also try to look for the live action series and movie. They're great too, if not actually better!
Fandrez

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 12:01 am Reply with quote
This is a great series and is REALLY funny. I just love it and can't wait for the 2nd season to come out (3 and 4 in Japan).
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 12:43 am Reply with quote
I ABSOLUTLEY recommend this series. It ranks #2 on my all-time list, right under Rurouni Kenshin.

GTO is one of those series that actually has something worth watching in every episode. It's so funny at times with just the right mix of drama and suspense, that I can't help but love this show completely.

A lot of the characters are very unique and each add their own special quality to the series overall. There's not much else I can say about how this show makes me feel, so I'll leave the rest up to you.

But when you watch it, I BEG that you PLEASE watch it in Japanese at least one time all the way through. The dub isn't the worst I've heard, but it's up there in terms of just not reflecting the right tone for this series. I can't even begin to tell you how Americanized a lot of the jokes are that would only bring down the quality of such a masterpiece in anime.

And yes, when you have a chance, please do check out the live action TV series as well. The comedy is slighty less hyperactive due to it being live, but the drama far suprasses that of the anime, in my opnion. Although, I'd avoid the movie if I were you. If you get to watch it however, watch it last.

Well, I hope my comments are enough to show my full and eager support for this series. All I can say is that if you take what I've said into consideration, I guarantee you'll love this franchise. Wink

Yoroshiku!

Last edited by Tony K. on Wed Jun 16, 2004 2:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
JETBLACK87

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 12:53 am Reply with quote
I haven't seen the anime...or read the manga. But I have seen most of the drama. And from what I hear the anime is the worst telling of the story. I was told not to see it.

But maybe other people would know better than me.
Ken Hayashi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 2:44 am Reply with quote
I'm usually not into watching live action dramas (more an anime kinda guy) but my wife is. And I happened to catch an episode or two of the GTO drama when she was watching it and I found that it was very nice. The movie is sort of weird and it's not really worth collecting if only to be able to say that you've got everything there is to collect. The TV series is best. I can't remember which came first, the anime or live action series, but they follow each other quite closely.
Nani?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 9:38 am Reply with quote
It is one of the best series out there. The manga though, is a masterpiece.

All the Best,

Nani?
SSJ Ski

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 10:41 am Reply with quote
I bought the first box set and its the best buy I've made. The original VA"s are incredible. I think this would be a wise buy for you. It only gets better.

If fact....*goes to watch GTO now*.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
JETBLACK87

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Ken Hayashi wrote:
I'm usually not into watching live action dramas (more an anime kinda guy)

If it's good, it's good, right?

Quote:
I can't remember which came first, the anime or live action series, but they follow each other quite closely.

The drama.
MasterFuu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 4:04 pm Reply with quote
GTO is my NO.1 all time favorite series. Greeeaattoooo!!! Anime smile
Just as you said the more you watch it the better story gets. I like GTO coz of the main character Onizuka. He's funny but also has soft side. I like that. Also the story and music score are damn good. I just didn't get bored with GTO. Every story was exciting and gave me goosebumps. Smile

EDIT: Anime GTO came first before Drama as far as I know. And nice review Tony.
blitz5000

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 4:34 pm Reply with quote
buy the series its worth it.... Very Happy
firegirl22

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 7:16 pm Reply with quote
I'll definitely have to get the 2nd dvd and go from there, I love the facial expressions Onizuka has, they're so different than what I normally see, and from what I've heard, I won't be sorry from going on with the series. Thanks everyone for replying.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2