• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Old topics

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
8JF

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Selenta wrote:

6 months or so is around our limits for bringing back old threads, fyi.

If there is a rule about posting to old threads why not just prune the content that's older than six months and save the server some time on indexing for search queries?
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:38 pm Reply with quote
If you take out the content, then people won't be able to read about it if they wanted to. Thing is, people who posted in threads that are anywhere from one year and older usually aren't even here anymore. And also taking out the original post incinerates the thread completely.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:30 pm Reply with quote
"Pruning" old content is a really destructive thing to do, because there has been a lot of worthwhile discussion over the years. Sure, the topics are {closed / dormant / dreaming in R'lyeh beneath the sea}. But they can still be worth reading.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:02 pm Reply with quote
As others said, the topics are still there for people to read if they so choose. Besides, if you look in the Anime forum you'll find a stickied post with links to discussion threads listed by series. Threads linked in there don't really "expire" like others, and people are allowed to add to them if they so wish, provided of course they're adding something worthwhile and not just saying "this series rules".
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:35 pm Reply with quote
What about an "auto lock" feature? It would be a sub-routine (or whatever they're called) that automatically locks a thread based on either time elapsed after the first post, or time elapsed after the last post. It could be set to six months, which is enough time to have a decent discussion. Anything after that threatens to be necro-posting anyway.

The benefit of such a system would be decreased moderator workload. Old threads would still be available for viewing, but not for posting. This would automatically eliminate necro-posting for threads of a certain age, while still allowing future "generations" of users access to the archives.

One downside I can think of is that the sticky threads, and the very popular ones (the Guessing Game thread for example), would need to be manually exempted. Still, I believe the positives outweigh the negatives, as once the exemptions are put in place they should be hassle free (so speaks a techno-illiterate soul).

Perhaps it is too hard to implement the technology. Or perhaps ANN feels it doesn't need to (I'll admit that serious necro-posting is fairly rare, and thus easily dealt with).
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Such a system is feasible I'm sure, but I know Dan has his hands full, and such a feature would likely be low on the priority list since necroposting doesn't account for very much of our workload as it is.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:29 pm Reply with quote
As I thought.

Thankyou for hearing me out anyway.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1