• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
users granted special access ? few questions please help

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kiggz

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Sorry if this is wasted space, could someone explain how you become a "user granted special access" to the community thread ect.

Also where could i post up asking about people who watch anime in my living area ? I would like to meet some fellow anime watchers that live close by is there a section of the forum of posts that fit the description.
braves

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Kiggz wrote:
Sorry if this is wasted space, could someone explain how you become a "user granted special access" to the community thread ect.

You need to become a subscriber. Do keep in mind that there are places that even subscribers can't access (ie, moderator forums).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:06 pm Reply with quote
braves wrote:
Do keep in mind that there are places that even subscribers can't access (ie, moderator forums).

I didn't know that. Somehow I had the naive notion that they just used E-mail to communicate with one another. Huh, you learn something new every day.
daxomni

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Wait, so subscribing doesn't make you an instant moderator? I sure wish I had kept that in mind before joining.

braves wrote:
Good bye, ANN-FF. Anime cry

Well I'll be damned, it's a 404 now.

According to Google it was hacked...

google wrote:
ANN-FF H4CK3D Forums - By: Anonymous 1337
Comments: ANN-FF was full of exploits and lacked sufficient security. A lesson to be learned. Smile
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Most of us have a good idea of how it happened...but anyways
yeah you need to subscribe to be granted access to the community fourm and you need to be a moderator to get into the moderator fourm etc..

btw I like you're new avatar braves but it's obvious what my favorite game is Wink
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:30 am Reply with quote
braves wrote:

Let me just say braves, that you shouldn't get your hopes down all the way, for the time being.
Kiggz

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:25 am Reply with quote
And the second question ?

Kiggz wrote:

where could i post up asking about people who watch anime in my living area ? I would like to meet some fellow anime watchers that live close by is there a section of the forum of posts that fit the description.

just looking for some anime fans what section of the forums would be good to post up looking to meet members who live in my city ?
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:59 am Reply with quote
Kiggz wrote:
just looking for some anime fans what section of the forums would be good to post up looking to meet members who live in my city ?

That would probably be the Community forum. However, you have to pay to access it. ANN is not a dating service, after all. If you were just looking for friends, well you could start by giving your real-world location. You could live in the same country (even the same city) as someone else on this forum; how are we to know that if you won't even tell us?

We cannot help you if you won't tell us your situation, which is dependent on where you live. A person who lives in Austin, TX is going to have a much easier time (and therefore use different strategies) than a person who lives in someplace like Hamilton, NZ.
rti9

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:05 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Kiggz wrote:

That would probably be the Community forum.

No. The Community section of the forum has nothing to do with physical location. It's merely a more private area where those who support ANN financially can talk about off-topic subjects. If Kiggz is looking for fans on his area, the Events section might be more helpful.

There were some threads that touched the subject before on the Anime section:
Meeting anime fans in a post-education world?
How to find local anime-lovers?
braves

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:00 am Reply with quote
daxomni wrote:
braves wrote:

Well I'll be damned, it's a 404 now.

According to Google it was hacked...

Yeah, there was a thread about it on here, but it got moved to the Trash Forum.

fighterholic wrote:
Let me just say braves, that you shouldn't get your hopes down all the way, for the time being.

Yeah, I've heard. I'll change it accordingly if it comes to fruition. Wink

zanarkand princess wrote:
btw I like you're new avatar braves but it's obvious what my favorite game is Wink

Thank you and yes, it is obvious. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
fighterholic wrote:

Yeah, I've heard. I'll change it accordingly if it comes to fruition. Wink

How come I'm the only one confused about these "it's not over yet" messages...but then again I'm usually lost Rolling Eyes
ehh..someone can just pm me about if they want I guess
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Kiggz wrote:
And the second question ?

Kiggz wrote:

where could i post up asking about people who watch anime in my living area ? I would like to meet some fellow anime watchers that live close by is there a section of the forum of posts that fit the description.

The Introductions Thread has people list their location (if they feel comfortable with it). It may take a while, but you could look through that and see if you find people. Alternatively, if you go to myanimelist.net you might find a group for fans in your area. Maybe.
daxomni

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Kiggz wrote:
And the second question...just looking for some anime fans what section of the forums would be good to post up looking to meet members who live in my city ?

I'm not sure the roster here on ANN is big enough for anyone outside of major cities to have much of a chance to connect with other members in person. However, if you put your location in your profile then people might notice you over time and say hello if you seem approachable. Personally I figure google is your friend here. I plugged in my city and "anime club" and got this... It looks like it's just some local college group but I suppose other folks might be able to attend if they were presentable and didn't mind a reduced level of participation. Or just keep searching until you find a club that's a better match. Personally I tend to just watch anime alone but if I was interested in watching it with strangers then I'd probably keep searching and maybe send some messages to see which clubs were still active. In some towns you might get stuck with a group that doesn't really match your age or level of interest, but I guess you could try to start your own group in that case and see if you could find a good place to meet and host your screenings or whatever you wanted to do with it. I guess a lot of us prefer discussing anime with online friends, but for those who want to meet in person I guess you could ask if it would be alright to start a new thread geared toward meeting up? I dunno, I guess I'm not sure what to suggest beyond google. Confused
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1