• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Late night airings of anime in Japan.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slipheed21

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Does anybody here know why so many anime shows have these weird broadcast schedules over in Japan?

I've been browsing through the Japanese Wiki pages of certain anime titles, and I noticed that the original broadcast times on some of them were a bit unusual. Granted they were using military time to show the hours they were put on, but it seems like many shows had some of the titles that air beyond the 24:00 (midnight) point.

For example, according to the Azumanga Daioh Japanese wiki page, its original schedule had TV Tokyo broadcasts every Monday at "25:25" (which I assume means Tuesday, 1:25 AM?). I kind of thought that it would be a little unusal for a show like AzuDai to air that late, especially given the rather innocent nature of it and the potential for broad appeal.

While I'm not surprised at a few shows that are shown late at night over there (Speed Grapher, Shuffle, etc.), but stuff like Azumanga, Ouran, and Haibane Renmei airing past midnight? Confused
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:38 am Reply with quote
Most anime (at least, most of what we see via fansubs) are aimed at the hardcore otaku audience and thus get relegated to latenight, except for a few with more mainstream acceptance/approval that get aired in morning or primetime hours. I don't think it was always this way, as the commercials for Hand Maid May indicated that it aired at 6:30 PM back in the summer of 2000.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:50 am Reply with quote
I remember trying to stay up late at night because some show that I wanted to watch was on at "26:15" at night. I think that was to tell people that it was still night time, or whatever that was. Mainly to tell people their day is not over yet, but maybe it's more something that otaku or late night people are able to understand.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:30 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Mainly to tell people their day is not over yet, but maybe it's more something that otaku or late night people are able to understand.
As a latenight person, I can understand it. It's 3:30 AM for me at the moment, and to me it's Sunday night rather than Monday morning. So perhaps that notation was implemented to avoid confusion among the populace that considers 2:15 AM Tuesday to be part of "Monday night" rather than "Tuesday morning."
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:05 am Reply with quote
I take it that either:
a) Otaku all have reliable TV recording equipment
or
b) They work "flexible hours".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Paludis

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:08 am Reply with quote
This article sheds some light on it. Basically late night anime are like OVA's in disguise.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Late_night_anime
slipheed21

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Most anime (at least, most of what we see via fansubs) are aimed at the hardcore otaku audience and thus get relegated to latenight, except for a few with more mainstream acceptance/approval that get aired in morning or primetime hours. I don't think it was always this way, as the commercials for Hand Maid May indicated that it aired at 6:30 PM back in the summer of 2000.

Thank you for the clarification on this. It's interesting that some of these shows were aimed at hard core otaku, rather than the general populace over in Japan. Though I'm still quite surprsed that Azumanga Daioh is considered an "otaku title."

There is a Late Night Anime wiki page in Japanese that summarizes, by year, the listing of shows in these weird hours (you can recognize some of the titles on there that use our alphabet).
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:35 pm Reply with quote
I always assumed that anime with more mature content like questionable themes, intense violence, and heavier amounts of nudity or fan service were the only ones that aired in late night slots on Japanese TV. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
einhorn303

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:

b) They work "flexible hours".

Well, a lot of otaku are also NEETs, so they may go to bed at 5 AM and sleep till 5 PM.

slipheed21 wrote:
Though I'm still quite surprsed that Azumanga Daioh is considered an "otaku title."

What could be more otaku-appealing then the daily life of cute high school girls, heh. (outside middle school girls, of course)
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:29 am Reply with quote
slipheed21 wrote:
Though I'm still quite surprsed that Azumanga Daioh is considered an "otaku title."

Someone who's more knowledgable on this, please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but...I think Kimura-sensei is actually supposed to be a bit of an audience surrogate?

This isn't to bash Azumanga Daioh, though, I own the thinpack and I really love the series. But I do know that it's definitely considered a seinen title, and not a shojo title. And except for Kimura it's not really a "perverted" series, so I could be thinking too hard about Kimura being an audience surrogate, too. (The thing that makes me think that is the male students admiring Kimura for being "sincere".)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kiyomaro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:49 am Reply with quote
What about in Gurren Lagann's case, where TV Tokyo was involved in the production, yet it still aired in a late spot?
einhorn303

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:17 am Reply with quote
Kiyomaro wrote:
What about in Gurren Lagann's case, where TV Tokyo was involved in the production, yet it still aired in a late spot?

As I recall Gurren Lagann was aired at 8:30 AM on Saturday morning, on a kid-friendly "Saturday morning cartoons" scheduel, on the same time slot as Pretty Cure. One of the series producers, after all, got flack for drawing Yoko shooting one of the Pretty Cure characters, in a display time-slot competitiveness.

You can also see, on some of the fansubs, the little clocks in the corner from the broadcasting station (8:30-9:00), which isn't done for late-night anime.
Kiyomaro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:01 pm Reply with quote
einhorn303 wrote:
Kiyomaro wrote:

As I recall Gurren Lagann was aired at 8:30 AM on Saturday morning, on a kid-friendly "Saturday morning cartoons" scheduel, on the same time slot as Pretty Cure. One of the series producers, after all, got flack for drawing Yoko shooting one of the Pretty Cure characters, in a display time-slot competitiveness.

You can also see, on some of the fansubs, the little clocks in the corner from the broadcasting station (8:30-9:00), which isn't done for late-night anime.

I actually just kinda assumed it was a late night show, I wasn't really sure. I think it's because they just finished rerunning the show at a late timeslot.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Oh, and I just now realized you have a Pretty Cure avatar...I didn't mean that in an offensive way, sorry. ^_^"
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1