• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Entering birth/death dates before 1900...

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cardcaptormanda

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:29 pm Reply with quote
I noticed that it is impossible to enter any date into the encyclopedia that is before 1900. Obviously, since there was no anime before 1900, this is not a big issue, but it does prevent users from entering birth and death dates of some people, such as many of the original authors of classic literary works upon which dozens of anime are based.

Again, since these people don't have anything to do with anime directly (although if you think about it, they are every bit as important as someone who wrote a manga which was later adapted into an anime), it's not really a big deal, but it just seems kind of silly not to allow their birth/death dates to be entered. I mean, why not allow it?
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:54 am Reply with quote
Mentioned four years ago...twice. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
cardcaptormanda

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:45 am Reply with quote
Thanks dormcat. I half expected that, to be honest...I knew I couldn't have been the first one to notice it in all these years. I should have done a search. I apologize.

I guess I still don't understand, though. It just seems a little odd. I mean, these people wrote the original work. I know that Dan said "Well, in this case maybe the problem is that such people shouldn't be entered as staff." but, they contributed to the anime with the story, plot, and characters, and we can't even enter their birth dates? I don't see what harm it would do.

Also, the problem is that they have, and continue to be entered as staff. Should we just report these credits as errors and add this info as "Other Information" or "Trivia" instead? Did Dan ever add a "Based On" option? I can't seem to find it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1