• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Inu-Yasha

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
samikaze

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 9:44 am Reply with quote
Question

nable youth with a "cartoon" about illegal street racing, I don't think that you'd find too many broadcasters out there who'd want to take the risk of airing something like Initial D. If the show does end up on the air, it'll be yanked the second that some dorks in Civics die while trying to pull off the "Famous Takahashi Parallel Drift." Police have already been cracking down pretty hard on street racers since [i:cd07dfe57c]The Fast and the Furious[/i:cd07dfe57c] came out, and these are dudes who are simply driving in a straight line! Imagine the potential havoc wreaked by dumb-ass kids trying to pull off Initial D-inspired drifts on city streets, freeways, or deserted mountain roads. It's not difficult to imagine when you've got kids setting themselves on fire because they saw it on [i:cd07dfe57c]Jackass[/i:cd07dfe57c]. The only logical place I can see Initial D on American TV is Adult Swim on CN, but that would mean that Tokyopop wouldn't be reaching their intended audience and thus losing money. Just my feeling, but I think this whole asinine plan to westernize Initial D and sell it to mainstream America will end up blowing up in Tokyopop's faces. They won't be able to exploit it for nearly as much as they were hoping and they end up losing the goodwill of many fans in the process.

I could be wrong, but it's just a feeling I've got.
Ataru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 2:17 pm Reply with quote
(07/12/02) Ima, kore ga hoshiin da! wrote:

Other companies take this time to announce the current status of many of their popular titles. Viz mentioned that Inu-yasha is set for release in November. They also mentioned that a deal with Cartoon Network is nearly complete for Inu-yasha to appear on the Adult Swim block.

I can understand ShoPro is handly the TV side (like Hamtaro), but isn't Viz handly DVD and "VHS" releases?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Ataru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Ataru wrote:

(07/12/02) Ima, kore ga hoshiin da! wrote:

Other companies take this time to announce the current status of many of their popular titles. Viz mentioned that Inu-yasha is set for release in November. They also mentioned that a deal with Cartoon Network is nearly complete for Inu-yasha to appear on the Adult Swim block.

I can understand ShoPro is handling the TV side (like Hamtaro), but isn't Viz handly DVD and "VHS" releases?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:

They're waiting for a TV deal. The US licensors (ShoPro USA, not Viz) are working hard at getting it on CN or another channel. They're pretty certain that it will be on TV by the end of this year, and they will start releasing the DVDs shortly after that...

They said probably by spring 2002, if the TV plans panned out... and, IIRC, they mentioned CN as a likely target... this was back at AX2001. So, they've been working on putting it on CN (or somewhere) since then.

What gets me is that it's fairly obvious (based on what they've said at panels and such) that they *don't* have a contract... and yet they keep mentioning that they're trying to put it on CN. IMO, that's a pretty bad idea, in terms of business. It reveals your hand to your competitors, tells them exactly what you're planning to do.. At least, I THINK it's a bad thing, business-wise. ^^;;
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Sh*t. I wish instead of Viz promoting Rumiko Takahashi and shoujo all the time, they'd finally put Dead or Alive on dvd.
Cgoten

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 6:50 pm Reply with quote
I've seen the first 4 episodes of it and it's great. I heard that they're trying to get it on Adult Swim specifically but that's probably just a rumor. Well, I hope they get it on Adult Swim rather than Toonami or something.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
arllyra

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2002 4:36 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Sh*t. I wish instead of Viz promoting Rumiko Takahashi and shoujo all the time, they'd finally put Dead or Alive on dvd.

They promote it? Wooooow. Where?
Cgoten

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2002 5:17 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Hey, Rumiko Takahashi's stuff is great. Why not promote it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Ataru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2002 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Cgoten wrote:

Hey, Rumiko Takahashi's stuff is great. Why not promote it?

I love Rumiko's work, (Heck, look at my handle) but Viz has been overpromoting her work for the last 10 years. Heck, just about every Video release by Viz had a Ranma ½ ad, saddly, the same one (TV), two (Movie 2), and/or 3 (Movie 1) ads. If you look at the end of a Pokemon tape, you'll find Ranma ½ ads there too. Now, if they promote Maison Ikkoku now and days while Ranma finally winds down, they may bring fans over the to fine peice of work. *Sigh* Too bad UY doesn't get promoted this much. Razz

One they I hope they don't do is change the opening/closing themes to the series like they did with Hamtaro. Neutral
samikaze

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2002 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Very Happy Most appreciated for the great info! I'll be sitting patiently and cross my fingers!!!

-Happy Camper
Hisoka

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 6:17 pm Reply with quote
I've seen up to episode 58 of this and it is really an awesome series..My favorite character being Sesshoumaru...though Inu-yasha is cool too... Smile

I'm sure you've all probably seen that the first DVD is due out in November from VIZ...

I just hope they don't dub it too badly..but I heard the guy who did Xellos in slayers is doing Sesshoumaru..which is I think is bad..expecially after what I heard of Xellos' voice....my poor Sesshoumaru-sama... Crying or Very sad
Ataru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Hisoka wrote:

I just hope they don't dub it too badly..but I heard the guy who did Xellos in slayers is doing Sesshoumaru..which is I think is bad..expecially after what I heard of Xellos' voice....my poor Sesshoumaru-sama... Crying or Very sad

Now, that's a secert. Razz
nagash

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2002 8:57 am Reply with quote
Should I assume, whereas it's coming out on DVD, that it will have subtitles as well?
Ataru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2002 11:19 am Reply with quote
Given that must anime release in the States come out with the Japanese track, the answer is yes.
Cgoten

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2002 12:24 pm Reply with quote
I wish they would put more than 3 episodes on a DVD. It's gonna take them forever to release the whole series unless they start putting more on a disc or release the discs faster. At least they're coming out with one a month (I think), better than 1 every 2 months with Ranma ½.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3