• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Should this guy play Light in the US Death Note Movie?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoldenAvenger7

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Was asking in another thread, but since I received no answer, I decided to start my own. Do you guys think this guy should be considered for the role of Light in Vertigo's US life action Death Note adaptation? My friends and I have been kicking this around and so I'll leave it for you guys to decide. If they are trying to cast a guy that LOOKS like Light, I think this guy could do it...

www.myspace.com/boku_wa_kira

Lemme know what you think...the dude's email is on his site too btw...
slickwataris

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:47 pm Reply with quote
is this your myspace account?

and no, I've seen better cosplay pictures.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Well, I can see the resemblance. That's a good start.

The hair is very good - looks like Light's hair alright. Must have taken hours to get it just right.

The suit is well done, especially since we see Light wearing suits later on. The tie is the perfect colour for Light (red), but too dark. The knot needs work (more practice, I think).

As for the face, it doesn't look like Light's at all. Of course, trying to replicate a 2D face into 3D is by no means easy. The nose is too prominent, the mouth is so-so.

But could this guy be Light? Sure, I guess. If he went through the trouble of cosplaying Light then he is dedicated. The fact that he made his own Light Yagami Myspace account would strongly indicate that he is a huge fan. Probably been committing all of Light's lines to heart, and I wouldn't be surprised if he practiced his delivery every day. "I've won. The plan worked perfectly".

Being a dedicated fan is one thing, being able to professionally act is another. I notice he like Shakespeare, but does he partake in it? If it's true that this guy can act, really act, then I would advise him to send his resume to the appropriate people. He looks close enough, he's dedicated, already been practicing. With Shakespeare under his belt, he might just be in for a chance. Can't be any worse than a greedy soulless Hollywood actor.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:57 pm Reply with quote
They should get Zack Ephron to play him. He's pretty enough, and creepy enough, and at least as good an actor as anyone who's played the character in film or anime so far.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:04 am Reply with quote
Zac Efron will play Light Yagami. No substitutions accepted.
freezespell

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:13 am Reply with quote
A U.S. Death Note movie?

Excellennnnnt!!!!! *plays Bill and Ted air guitar*

As far as the myspace page, I'll wait until July 6 to look at it. I have a disorder called FOS*

*Fear of Spoilers.
xia83

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:27 am Reply with quote
I agree with Zac Efron.. weirdly
GoldenAvenger7

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:15 am Reply with quote
Nope. My hair is way shorter than this dude's. I have mine military style for martial arts...so no, this is not my profile.
jetz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:28 am Reply with quote
Laughing

I think Zac Efron should play Light too. Can the guy on myspace even act?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
musk.stick

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:41 am Reply with quote
Obviously this guy really, really likes Light, but that doesn't mean I think he should play him. The character of Light requires someone with decent acting skills, and we have no way of knowing if he has them.

Ohoni wrote:
They should get Zack Ephron to play him. He's pretty enough, and creepy enough, and at least as good an actor as anyone who's played the character in film or anime so far.

JUST NO.

Zac Efron, while I agree is a somewhat disturbing individual, certainly does not have what it takes to play a character like Light. He's got the High School Musical image imprinted into him, and I never, ever want to associate Death Note with that. EVER.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:29 am Reply with quote
Oh, that's just great.

As if the anime weren't enough, we can have a U.S. made movie to produce an even greater crop of wannabe psychopaths who would just love to get their hands on an actual death note -- and failing that, will make arses of themselves in one way or another (hopefully without killing or injuring anyone but themselves, but definitely drawing negative attention to anime once again).

I'm not usually a subscriber to the idea that violent films or video games make people bad -- but there is something about Death Note that seems to evoke the very worst in people. At the very least, it certainly brings some extremely disturbed people into the light.

The highly-dedicated fandom surrounding certain titles can be annoying or amusing (who hasn't shared a chuckle at the antics of Naruto fans?), but it at least has the redeeming quality of being about genuine heroic figures (albeit childish ones). And most of the fans of Naruto aren't so dreadfully, intensely serious about their fandom. Unlike the Death Note fans.

Light Yagami is an evil, evil man, and he is lionized by Death Note fans for being everything these losers dream about being. He is smart, good-looking, fairly well off to begin with, and then he gets his hands on the ultimate tool of corruption and evil -- a device that places no limits on his twisted will.

And don't these little psychos really, really WISH they had one of their own? Then they could show the world. Get revenge for all the little and big slights and injuries they may have suffered, real or imagined.

He is the villain, and they have made him their idol.

Bah. They are sick, twisted people. I despise them.

And no, I don't think this guy has a chance of getting cast as Light Yagami. He'd be wiser to get a life.

- abunai
...and that's about as categorical a denunciation as you'll ever hear me utter.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:06 am Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
...a categorical denunciation of Light Yagami.

Oh dear, you're tempting fate really badly. What do you think is going to happen now that you came out and slammed him? Some people are going to respond with an indignant tone, saying you're wrong. Things will get out of hand, and then you'll have to lock the thread.

No offence abunai, but we already know that you hate Light. We get that. But this thread is simply to discuss possible casting choices for Light in the upcoming Death Note live action movie. I don't think that this is the place to discuss the morality (or not) of his actions, or anything like that.

I feel uncomfortable telling a moderator this, but it's true. It doesn't matter whether or not Light is evil, what matters is whether or not the fan that GoldenAvenger7 linked to is fit to play Light in a live action role.

I feel strongly about Death Note, but I'll leave it there. Don't want to spread the very fire I'm trying to douse.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:14 am Reply with quote
Point taken, dtm42. You are quite right -- but in my defence, I did give my opinion of this fellow's chances of being cast, these being twofold: slim and fat.

I would also like to point out that you got one thing wrong. My loathing isn't really for Light. He's a fictional character, remember, and (appearances to the contrary) I do still have a firm grasp on reality. My extreme revulsion is for his rabid fans, people who need a good solid whack with a 2X4 cluestick.

- abunai
Ohoni

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:18 am Reply with quote
Quote:

Zac Efron, while I agree is a somewhat disturbing individual, certainly does not have what it takes to play a character like Light. He's got the High School Musical image imprinted into him, and I never, ever want to associate Death Note with that. EVER.

Eh. Choices are limited. I'm certainly no fan of his, the only thing I've actually scene him in is Access Hollywood stories ABOUT things he's worked on, but he seems to fit. The qualifications are that he has to be able to play a high schooler and college age, has to be pretty enough that all the ladies go "oooooooh" when he passes by, and he has to be able to act at least a little bit, which I'll give Ephron the benefit of the doubt on.

Nobody else really springs to mind, although I'm sure there are some out there.

The more interesting casting would be L.

Quote:

As if the anime weren't enough, we can have a U.S. made movie to produce an even greater crop of wannabe psychopaths who would just love to get their hands on an actual death note -- and failing that, will make arses of themselves in one way or another (hopefully without killing or injuring anyone but themselves, but definitely drawing negative attention to anime once again).

Think of the upside, we can cull these emo idiots out of society easier, and before they likely accomplish anything ACTUALLY destructive. I don't think Deathnote has actually caused anyone to do anything they wouldn't already do, I just think it causes people to do things in a certain manner. People that would write fanfic about people they don't like dying might make up a Deathnote, people that might kill other people in a fairly generic manner might apply a Deathnote "theme" to their rampages, and so it makes the news in a different way than it would otherwise. It's the same people doing the same stuff they've always done though.
Heredador

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:18 am Reply with quote
Well, I´m really agree with Ohoni, the actor has to be able to play the personality of Kira. He has to be handsome too, how Ohoni had said. And well, we will see who they will catch to L and Misa-misa!!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2