• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Facebook Application - testing required

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
x20mar

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Dear All,

As some you may or may not be aware, there is an ANN facebook application which can be found at http://omarali.net/blog/?page_id=22

The application was not written by ANN, but they have gone over it and gave it the OK.

What has come to my attention though is that there may be a bug in the application as post by the following review (names removed on purpose)

Quote:
It totally messed up my page! My profile is all F**KED because of this application! The coding is all wrong and totally throws what I had already organized into a complete mess! Don't add this applet! For this applet will stretch your page. You'd want to just add the links that already on Anime News Network, I recommend just to use the links to refer to it from your profile instead of using this. It just messes up the Mini-Feed and ugh it's just more hassle than it's worth.

Today I've been in contact with this person (who does actually seem quite nice) to see if we can recreate the bug and then stop it so that it doesn't happen again. I received the following reply

Quote:
I don't know how exactly to describe it, but when I added your applet... it throws everything out of alignment on the Mini-Feed... the only way I can explain in is that it makes everything unorganized. Anyhow nothing personal against you or the applet, but I just find that the links provided by Anime News Network does exactly what I want it already...

So I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem or any other problem with it. I take problems and bugs seriously and I will try to fix them.

I'm also taking feature requests

Many Thanks

Omar Ali
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Given that this thread does not link to an article so doesn't look like it belongs in the talkback forum, I'm not clicking that link without some assurance that it is legit.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 7:28 pm Reply with quote
The link is legit, but I'm moving the thread to Anime.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 7:37 pm Reply with quote
The immediate downside I can see to this thing is that I use my Real Name on facebook and usually keep real life and internet stuff seperate.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Mylene

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
The immediate downside I can see to this thing is that I use my Real Name on facebook and usually keep real life and internet stuff seperate.

That is the problem I'm having as well. I'd love to have it on there, and I'd love to help with bug testing, but I don't really want my real life name and my internet name to be joined in anyway.

Great idea though!
larinon

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 8:04 pm Reply with quote
I went ahead and added it to my facebook and it does screw up my mini-feed, basically copying all the text on ANN's front page into this area. Worst of all, it's not letting me remove that particular item from my mini-feed either.

I'm continuing to play around with it. I think it looks okay otherwise, but I'm trying to remove the mini-feed story.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Mylene

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Actually, I did go ahead and install it. It's a mess. I too have had my mini-feed completely messed up, and worse yet, it won't let me delete MyANN stuff from my mini-feed (even after uninstalling the application). It actually makes it so that I can't click on anything on my profile, unless it's a link within the MyANN minifeed article. :\ This'll be fun to get out of my mini-feed...

Here are screenshots to show what I'm talking about with regard to the appearance of the mini-feed:

That grey bar through my face shows up as a loading window on my husband's computer when he looks at my profile.

Next

More

Bottom of mini-feed

I'm really not amused that it broke my profile. It won't let me click on anything except for some of the links within MyAnn feed portion. I might have to turn on some mini-feed options in my other apps just to knock this off the list...

Also, I am using the latest version of Firefox.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Mylene wrote:
Here are screenshots to show what I'm talking about with regard to the appearance of the mini-feed:

Not a lot of point blacking out your name in the photos if you leave it in the URL of the links... Wink
Mylene

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Moomintroll wrote:
Mylene wrote:

Not a lot of point blacking out your name in the photos if you leave it in the URL of the links... Wink

My name is not Mylene McBride though. It's not even close. So there was in fact a very good point in blacking out my name. Nearly missed it once, but thankfully I went over each image 3 times, so hopefully I didn't screw up anywhere.
x20mar

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 2:49 am Reply with quote
Hi everyone,

Thanks for the quick replies

Quote:
Given that this thread does not link to an article so doesn't look like it belongs in the talkback forum, I'm not clicking that link without some assurance that it is legit.

The reason I point a link to my own website rather than straight to the facebook application was because I wanted people to read about the application and more importantly to check this BBC article on privacy settings with facebook.

Mylene, you have been an absolute star with this, specially with the screenshots, I need to ask though is the application saying you updated your information for myANN when all you have done is added the application?

Thanks to the screenshots I know what produces this problem, it's something that came up in testing in the past that I thought I have solved. No seriously you wouldn't believe how many times this happened to my own profile. I'll not go into the technical details of why it happens but I'll do everything in my power to stop from happening again. If anyone wishes to talk to me personally then contact me via my website http://www.omarali.net

For those of you who haven't fixed your profile problem here is how to:
    Remove the problem mini feed by clicking on the 'X' for that mini feed

Select one the option that give the option to remove/hide that mini-feed

Refresh your profile page by hitting F5

Thanks for everyone's help on this matter,

Omar Ali
Mylene

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 6:38 am Reply with quote
x20mar wrote:

For those of you who haven't fixed your profile problem here is how to:
    Remove the problem mini feed by clicking on the 'X' for that mini feed

Select one the option that give the option to remove/hide that mini-feed

Refresh your profile page by hitting F5

That doesn't work with the MyANN app's mini-feed article. It won't let me hit the at all 'X' when the MyANN app shows up in the mini-feed. It won't let my click any link or function on my profile unless it's a link within the MyANN application in the mini-feed.

Edit: Actually, it does work if you us IE, but it doesn't work if you use Firefox. Good thing I keep IE on my PC for just such situations.
CrockPot

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 8:49 am Reply with quote
Mylene wrote:

Edit: Actually, it does work if you us IE, but it doesn't work if you use Firefox. Good thing I keep IE on my PC for just such situations.

Something else you can do for Firefox is the "IE Tab" add-on {https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addons/versions/1419}. Use the older version if you aren't using the beta of Firefox.

This add-on basically puts an icon on the bottom right hand side of your browser and you just click on it to change to the IE rendering of a page. I find it quite useful, because a lot of government pages I go to just don't work in Firefox.
x20mar

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 9:03 am Reply with quote
Hi there,

Please find in the link is a screencast of how to fix your profile in firefox without Internet Explorer

Youtube lo-qualityhttp://www.youtube.com/v/n4ld2kHgZDM

Download Hi-Quality (14.7MB) http://www.omarali.net/home/video/screencast.wmv

Many Thanks

Omar Ali

PS Mylene, do you know what you did to cause the bug or did you just add the application?

Last edited by x20mar on Thu May 29, 2008 11:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Mylene

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 9:09 am Reply with quote
x20mar wrote:
PS Mylene, do you know what you did to cause the bug or did you just add the application?

All I did was add the application.

By the way, the LQ version of that video is completely blurred to the point where it is impossible to see going on, and the HQ version seems to be using a weird codec so it doesn't play in VLC, WMP, WMP Classic, or Zoom. I assume it's just showing how to use the IE plug in for Firefox mentioned earlier?
Zoe

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 10:36 am Reply with quote
So let this be a lesson, always test your web apps in multiple browsers Laughing

CrockPot wrote:
Something else you can do for Firefox is the "IE Tab" add-on {https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addons/versions/1419}. Use the older version if you aren't using the beta of Firefox.

This add-on basically puts an icon on the bottom right hand side of your browser and you just click on it to change to the IE rendering of a page. I find it quite useful, because a lot of government pages I go to just don't work in Firefox.

Ooh, thanks for that. It's one of the reasons I haven't switched over to Firefox yet Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2