• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Now and Then, Here and There.....

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:36 pm Reply with quote
I am relatively new to anime, (early 2006).

Just finished this on Netflix.

Wow, no punches pulled in this one, and I just finished up Saikano a week or two ago.

Like Grave of the Fireflies, or Saving Private Ryan, I am a jumble of conflicting emotions, leaving me feeling like a dishrag (neither good or bad, just wrung out).

"2 ccs of Pani Poni Dash, Stat!"

Gewürtztraminer
Key

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Gewürtztraminer wrote:
Like Grave of the Fireflies, or Saving Private Ryan, I am a jumble of conflicting emotions, leaving me feeling like a dishrag (neither good or bad, just wrung out).

This series tends to do that to people. That's why I've always thought that the gentle, soothing closer is one of the most appropriate closers ever put on an anime series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Josh7289

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:10 pm Reply with quote
I can't remember the details of the ending, but when this show aired on AZN TV, I was seriously torn-up. I think even worse than Grave of the Fireflies, but that's probably because I had to keep coming back to Now and Then, Here and There week after week, while Grave of the Fireflies was just a one-time thing.

But man, even seeing the opening of this show still gets me...

If anyone reading this hasn't seen it, though, watch it. I didn't rate it as a "Masterpiece" here on ANN for nothing.
abynormal

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:16 pm Reply with quote
I need to finish that series. I liked the retro-sounding music and the story, although the main character danced with Marty Stu a little more than I like.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:14 am Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:
I can't remember the details of the ending, but when this show aired on AZN TV, I was seriously torn-up. I think even worse than Grave of the Fireflies, but that's probably because I had to keep coming back to Now and Then, Here and There week after week, while Grave of the Fireflies was just a one-time thing.

Just to let newcomers know: I didn't feel sorry for Seita a single bit, and I shed no tear at the end of Grave of the Fireflies, but I wailed -- not just cried, but wailed -- for the first time in my life after reading/watching a fictitious work of creation at the end of NTHT.

While I was expecting spoiler[Lala-Ru to sacrifice herself to save others, in the end she just faded away, instead of dying gloriously like most movie/series.] This way has, at least to me personally, way much more emotional impact than the "common" way does. And the last straw was the final scene with spoiler[smokestacks cut in halves: Shu's roughly two to three months in the alternate world (estimated from Sara being raped and found impregnated but with minimal physical change) was like a midsummer night's dream.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
fokkusuhaundo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:45 am Reply with quote
I'm a huge sucker for shows and movies that leave me all torn up inside. I've never been one to cry at all but instead NTHT left a huge scar on my mind that just started bleeding again after I saw the title to this thread because I already knew what would be discussed and what I would be reminded of from this show. It's hard imagining this show ending any other way than it did while still having the same emotional impact that it did. I'm always waiting for that next show or movie that digs into my emotions and deepens the scar.
daedelus

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:28 am Reply with quote
Well, if any of you recognize my avatar and also recognize the point in the show the image is from, then you know what side of the fence I sit on. No scene in any anime I have ever seen has hit me as hard and has stayed with me as long. Sometimes I wonder if anything else ever will.

Naturally, as I write this, it's all coming back. I need to watch it again.
fokkusuhaundo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:00 am Reply with quote
daedelus wrote:
Well, if any of you recognize my avatar and also recognize the point in the show the image is from, then you know what side of the fence I sit on.

Your avatar just reminded me of yet another unforgettable and emotional scene -- wait, I think some tears are finally coming out. Crying or Very sad
rti9

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:53 am Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:
But man, even seeing the opening of this show still gets me...

What usually gets me is the ending song, 子守歌... Strange, but the first image of the ending, the bicycle leaning on the wall, is imprinted in my head. Maybe because my head was trying to recover itself at the end of each episode. Few movies can do what some NTHT episodes did to me, which is to feel as if someone had punched me in the stomach. Gewürtztraminer mentioned Saving Private Ryan, but I'd rather compare it to A Thin Red Line. This is a title that probably will pass the test of time. It has the guts of not being populist and as reward it won't be forgotten so easily.

Last edited by rti9 on Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Labbes

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:09 am Reply with quote
rti9 wrote:
What usually gets me is the ending song, 子守歌... Strange, but the first image of the ending, the bicycle leaning on the wall, is printed in my head.

I, too, remember this image very well, and on some occasions the "itsumo" from the song pops into my head, and I have no clue why - maybe you're right with the recovering, I mean, it seemed very real for me, and after the horror of each episode the soothing ending...
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Gutpunch is an apt description.

They have the three disk set on netflix, and it was 3 days between my viewing of episode 5 and 6. On the first night, I woke up at 3 am, and could not get back to sleep, mainly on what was implied to be happening to Sara.

Thankfully, disk 2 and 3 came on the same day, and I was able to take in the rest, both the good and the bad.

Shows that have had this effect on me number very low.
I will buy it, and rewatch, but like Ryan its going to be several months before I can take it again though.

Gewürtztraminer
kizzmequik_74

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:45 am Reply with quote
This was the first "really, really serious" anime that I ever saw, a couple of years back when it was shown on local TV. It was just I got started on anime, and most stuff I saw before it was relatively light fare. I don't even remember most of the story or ending very well, but I can remember being completely torn up at the end of it.

"Gutpunch" is right. To this day, I don't think that I can watch more than an episode at a time, since it'll just break me up inside.

This anime's lasting effect on me is pretty clear: after it, I never knowingly started viewing any seriously dramatic anime, since NTHT left serious, serious scars on my system. Sad
Jedi General

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Gewürtztraminer wrote:

This series tends to do that to people. That's why I've always thought that the gentle, soothing closer is one of the most appropriate closers ever put on an anime series.

I agree. Listening to the closer after watching the final episode was perhaps the best thing that could have been done to console my conflicting emotions.

EDIT I: It's funny, I may not have ever checked out this series had I not read your review here on ANN, Key. I'm glad I did too, since I'm a proud owner of the DVD box set which recently went OOP.

I cannot call this series one of my absolute favorites (due to it's hard hitting and emotionally draining nature), but it is a series that consider to be required viewing for pretty much any anime fan. It's certainly a masterpiece, no question. This thread has inspired me to watch the series again.

EDIT II:
Gewürtztraminer wrote:
Wow, no punches pulled in this one, and I just finished up Saikano a week or two ago.

Yikes. Two major tearjerkers in such a short span. I feel for you, man.

Last edited by Jedi General on Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TsC_BaTToSai

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:46 pm Reply with quote
what genre is this anime? reading your reactions to it has made me seriously want to go watch it, but I'd like to know what I'm getting into
BladeDragoonZETA

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:47 pm Reply with quote
TsC_BaTToSai wrote:
what genre is this anime? reading your reactions to it has made me seriously want to go watch it, but I'd like to know what I'm getting into

I'd say it's mainly fantasy but there may be better genres to place this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3