• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The difference between good and great anime.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zade

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:21 pm Reply with quote
I think the rating between anime shouldn't be in numbers it should be in 1-10 format. For instance I can do just about anything to keep myself occupied, watch TV, play games daydream and of course watch anime. I made a list of the anime to watch using wikipedia that numbered about 1900 and I got to about m and thats probably about 100 different animes. Only 1 did I find so boring I stopped because I couldn't take it. But a lot of others I could have stopped and not cared about it. I think the rating system should be separated between 4 levels 0=bad 1=good(entertaining enough to pass time) 2=great(In its genera) and 4=great in that almost everyone thinks its great. It'd be something though out you are pretty much going "awesome" and can't stop watching. I'd rate about 7 animes (higurashi, cowboy bebop, samurai champloo, the end of evangelion(not the series), Elfen Lied, the Kenshin ovas, The melancholy) as great but I like action anime and am indifferent towards generic anime so obviously people will have different opinions. Does anyone agree with what I'm trying to say?
monkeyinalamborghini

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Sorry I can't the problem.

Pacing I Just got claymore and I hated the first 3rd of the show. I stuck with it and soon enough not only did they chop people's heads off but they diced into little pieces afterward.

Also monster I can't stand it I've watched the first 7 or 8 episodes and I only find it mildly interesting. People have rated it so high that I think I'll stick it out and watch the rest. I'll probably be rewarded for it in the end.

You could also argue some shows have a "deathnote effect" at first it's almost impossible to stop watching, but after seeing it you probably won't watch it again.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:06 pm Reply with quote
While I see what you're saying, you're really missing the point. If you want to divide it up into 4 levels, go ahead and rate all your anime 4, 6, 8, or 10 (or however you want to break it up). The thing is though, ANN uses a much larger scale so that differentiations can be made. The question "how good is the show?" can lead to some rather subtle differences when you use a much more expressive scale. While using your scale Baccano! may have gotten mostly 4s, but using the ANN scale, it got most 9s. From the distribution you can tell that people thought the show was very very good, but probably not quite one of the masterpieces that they'll remember when they're 80 years old; if a simple 4 point scale had been used, it wouldn't really be possible to make such a distinction. It wouldn't matter if the sample size was in the low double digits, but when you have dozens to hundreds of votes it gives the person looking at the reviews a much more informed look at the show.

Personally, I don't think a 11 choice scale is expressive enough, so I rate mine between 1-100 and then assign a rating range that corresponds roughly to the ANN scale.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
monkeyinalamborghini

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Yeah that sounds about right it'd be easier for me to say this great show is a 95 and have the option to say another is a 96 or 94. Rather than a 10 point system.
TsC_BaTToSai

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:50 pm Reply with quote
I have to believe there are simply too many levels for a 4-point scale to accomodate. I'd hate to give Samurai Champloo a 3, for instance, but I also can't possibly give it the same rating as Rurouni Kenshin OVA's or Trigun(my opinion only)
Clodus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:07 am Reply with quote
selenta wrote:
Personally, I don't think a 11 choice scale is expressive enough, so I rate mine between 1-100 and then assign a rating range that corresponds roughly to the ANN scale.
I actually saw yours and remember that format. My initial impression was you were rating your shows in order of favorites like so many other lists I've seen. Actually, I was slowly revising my own ratings to something close to that after I saw Frentymon's scale which roughly follows the 1-100 plan but a bit more indepth
It does take time though but i respect devotion.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sirgalahadthegreat

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:52 am Reply with quote
Of course, the biggest obstacle for rating anime on such a scale is the very subjectivity of the ranker. I mean, people may rank an anime in ten different ways, and never agree, but to each that anime will remain on the same score that they rank it. Therefore, I don't think it's the scale that should matter, it's the subjectivity of the ranker who made the scale.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:11 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure I understand what you're talking about, but I like to mentally rate things on a very different scale.

A lot of people use a "five star" system. That gives me a headache. I can't get that specific without turning art into a technical practice, which is bad even for the most critical eyes.

I use the "official" Hollywood star system: 1-4 stars, with halves.

Why? Because the human brain processes things well in groups of sevens, fives, and threes. The five star system only works if people don't use halves, but if they don't, they're tempted too, and have trouble picking a ranking with those "almost" shows and movies. At least I do. So they end up with nine rankings. That's too much...

If you use the four star system, you have 7 rankings that can easily be categorized in the mind, not as numbers, but overall impressions, like this (I'll use movie examples as I started to use anime and realized I might really tick someone off with some of my choices):

1--Abomination and complete waste of time. If you can say you hated it without hesitation, it goes here. (Dicky Roberts: Former Child Star)

1.5--Bad, but with some endearing quality that kept it from being called complete garbage. If you say you hated it, and then feel a little guilty, it goes here. (Home Alone 2 and future sequels)

2--Completely Average. Nothing stands out about it, but it didn't hurt bad to sit through. If you enjoyed yourself, but still feel like you've wasted time or money, it goes here. (Lady in the Water)

2.5-- Average, but with some kind of memorable value while it lasted. Forgettable within a year or so. If you watch a movie once, like it, but have no desire to see it again, it goes here. (Horton Hears a Who)

3--Good. It will stand the test of time within five years, maybe more, and should be appreciated while around. If you can say you liked a movie without hesitation, it goes here. (EVERY Spiderman movie and most summer blockbusters)

3.5--Excellent. Unforgettable and brightens your entertainment schedule for a long time to come. If you can say you loved a movie without hesitation, it goes here. (My Big Fat Greek Wedding)

4--Near perfect, if not completely so. Becomes etched in the mind as a favorite and legend. Hard to achieve. If you are speechless five minutes after a movie ends, it goes here. (The Prestige. Oh. My. Gosh. If you haven't seen this movie yet, GO RENT IT.)
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:24 pm Reply with quote
I prefer a 10 point system actually. 100 points is just too much, I'd find myself tweaking the ratings far too often, or I'm not certain I would be consistent enough with my ratings as time progressed. A 10 point system allows margin for error as something you'd give a 92 or a 94 would both be a 9 in the 10 point system. I just don't trust people consistency to buy in to a 100 point system much.

A 4 point system is much too small though, and 7 is close enough to 10 that I really see no reason for such a change. 1 to 10 is pretty standard and provides plenty of room to provide diversity in the ratings while not making so much room that it becomes difficult to remain consistent as time goes by. Not to mention when I look at a 100 point system I really don't focus on something that's a 88 compared to a 92. When there's so many numbers the gaps become meaningless and I put those two at the same level anyways.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:22 pm Reply with quote
I like a 10 point rating system best, for its orthodoxy and immediate visual similarity to percentages.
However, one main difference between good and great for me is quite simple: did a given anime make me cry or not? If it did, I rate it higher.

It is odd that when something makes me sad I claim to enjoy it more. I blame the schools.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:18 pm Reply with quote
The difference between good and great is whether it just has "some" of the things I like a series to have or "most" of them. A Masterpiece has "All" of them.

As for the rating system the current one is more than sufficient.

Last edited by Kruszer on Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:01 pm Reply with quote
The difference between good and great?

good = B
great = A

Welcome to my world. The world of ANN reviews.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1