• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Add links between related anime/manga

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Hi all,

I've noticed that some anime lack links to their respective original manga (e.g. Ai Yori Aoshi, Cardcaptor Sakura, Rurouni Kenshin, Yawara!, You Are Under Arrest, etc.) but their originals are already well documented on ANN. How do I add a link between them, if not submit in "Other information" of the pull-down menu? Since both anime and manga versions are already listed on ANN, IMHO that adding an option such as "Related anime/manga" in contribution pull-down menu can save a great deal of time for ANN encyclopedists to verify the information.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. If you received an email talking about the same thing, it was me. I'm sorry for being silly and forgot about the forum. Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
ZahmiraV

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 11:24 pm Reply with quote
That's a good idea. I second the motion!

That would make it quite easy to find the manga to an anime I really like, as I tend to watch the anime before I go hunting for the manga.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 5:49 am Reply with quote
Thanks, ZahmiraV! Very Happy

BTW, those missing links are more than I expected; just list some more in My Anime/My Manga:

Kare Kano (His and Her Circumstances)
Mermaid Forest
Angelic Layer
Detective Conan (Meitantei Conan)
Great Teacher Onizuka (GTO)
H2
Initial D
Inuyasha
Steam Detectives
Yu-Gi-Oh!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
molloaggie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:42 am Reply with quote
I think it would make the encyclopedia people's job easier if they allowed us to do more work for them. Maybe after a while you could give trusted people more access to the encyclopedia. Call them apprentice's or something. Linking the anime, manga, and related movies/sequels could be one of those extra duties.
Samurai CDZ

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:57 am Reply with quote
molloaggie wrote:
Call them apprentice's or something. Linking the anime, manga, and related movies/sequels could be one of those extra duties.

A duty or an ability?

I wouldn't mind having more abilities to help out, but I wouldn't want it to be expected of me, even if I have the time.
one3rd

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 11:14 am Reply with quote
There are a lot of missing links anime to anime too.
molloaggie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Samurai CDZ wrote:
molloaggie wrote:
Call them apprentice's or something. Linking the anime, manga, and related movies/sequels could be one of those extra duties.

A duty or an ability?

I wouldn't mind having more abilities to help out, but I wouldn't want it to be expected of me, even if I have the time.

LOL Laughing Yes, I agree- abilities, not duties. Wow, you actually sound kinda scared!

And sorry for my bad grammar too!
Samurai CDZ

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Not scared, just particular. Very Happy
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 8:02 pm Reply with quote
one3rd wrote:
There are a lot of missing links anime to anime too.

Agreed. Those 'relationships' I can think about now are adaptation/sequel/prequel/spin-off/co-distribution (Totoro/Grave of the Fireflies)/shown together (On Your Mark/Whisper of the Heart)/related in other ways.

I'd be happy to contribute more, when I have time. Wink
ChichiriMuyo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:07 pm Reply with quote
molloaggie wrote:
I think it would make the encyclopedia people's job easier if they allowed us to do more work for them. Maybe after a while you could give trusted people more access to the encyclopedia. Call them apprentice's or something. Linking the anime, manga, and related movies/sequels could be one of those extra duties.

They actually do give people higher access levels after time, given that their information proves to be reliable (at least for the most part, everyone makes mistakes after all) and all that. I guess its also possible that what you know may be a bigger deciding factor though. If you know stuff that can't simply be added in and will always require Tempest, Phoenix, or anyone else to double check you may get extra abilities to make everyone's job easier. Though I don't know too much about how they make decissions about all that so don't take my word to be 100% accurate.

dormcat wrote:
Those 'relationships' I can think about now are adaptation/sequel/prequel/spin-off/co-distribution (Totoro/Grave of the Fireflies)/shown together (On Your Mark/Whisper of the Heart)/related in other ways.

And that's part of the reason why a lot of the links are missing. If there is a manga it's important to know which of those the anime falls into. Most are obvious, but sometimes you will get an anime thats more of a sequel than an adaption. Once that information is made clear its easier to make a proper link. Of course there are also alternate retellings (Tenchi Universe, A-ko the Versus) adding another relation.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 9:26 am Reply with quote
For the moment, if you want to add that kind of information you'll have to submit it as "other info" (or post it here) and then a staff member can add it. For your information, the possible types of relationship are:

part of (part of a collection/anthology)
used to make (e.g. Macross was used to make Robotech)
serialized in (ran in a manga magazine)
sequel of (direct continuation of the story)
prequel of (story that happens before the original)
spinoff of (same universe, focusing on different characters)
alternate retelling of (same basic premise but the story goes in another direction)
remake of (same core story with &new and improved& animation/music/etc)
adapted from (format change: manga to anime or anime to manga)
alternate ending for (assumes same story but changes ending)
related to (exact type of relationship is unknown)

Quote:
I think it would make the encyclopedia people's job easier if they allowed us to do more work for them.

Oh, I agree. The best situation would be if there was no need for staff involvment at all. But you still need to have *some* kind of accountability for the data you enter. And sometimes there is a need for extra validation of some data, or the database is just not structured the right way. In this particular case, the anime relationship table would need to:
- track who enters the information, just like the other tables
- include some validation to prevent infinitely recursive loops

The major issue is how much time I have to make the change (next to none) and how important this change is compared to other stuff that needs to be changed (not that important)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the summery, Dan42. Following your guidelines listed here, we'll do our best to contribute what we know.
molloaggie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 9:32 pm Reply with quote
"Serialized in" is a redundant topic. It's already under the companies part of every single manga title.

I was happy to the "part of X anthology" part. I think Animatrix is the only anime title . When I look at the infomation for Rumic Theater, an anthology book, it's a mess! I guess the proper way would to list each title seperately, and then connect it back to the Rumic Theater title.

How about short stories? Is "part of" also acceptable for them? I know at least three that have been entered in. However, if anybody every tried to find them to read, they wouldn't know what book they were in.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 7:31 am Reply with quote
molloaggie wrote:
"Serialized in" is a redundant topic. It's already under the companies part of every single manga title.

Yeah, and I don't like that one bit. Instead of entering magazines as new titles, they have all been entered as companies. Which is not completely false, of course, but it kinda screws up the whole point of having a "magazines" section.

molloaggie wrote:
I was happy to the "part of X anthology" part. I think Animatrix is the only anime title . When I look at the infomation for Rumic Theater, an anthology book, it's a mess! I guess the proper way would to list each title seperately, and then connect it back to the Rumic Theater title.

In the case of anime this also applies to Memories, Robot Carnival, Neo-Tokyo and a few other titles I think. This is very important for anime because otherwise the staff & cast of otherwise unrelated productions get all mixed up together. In the case of manga, usually the only staff is the manga-ka him/herself, so it's not as big an issue.

molloaggie wrote:
How about short stories? Is "part of" also acceptable for them? I know at least three that have been entered in. However, if anybody every tried to find them to read, they wouldn't know what book they were in.

This is all on a case-by-case basis. How about you tell us what short stories you're talking about and we can figure out the best way to handle them?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 12:51 am Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
For the moment, if you want to add that kind of information you'll have to submit it as "other info" (or post it here) and then a staff member can add it.

Eh, Dan, what I submitted in "Other info" came out like this:

(Other information):
Adapted from manga of the same name; please add links between the two.

Oh my, this embarrasses me and makes me feel like an idiot. I thought my submission was only visible by ANN staff and to be added later, but it turned out to be otherwise. Should I delete them all?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2