• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
When rewatching Anime...

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:59 am Reply with quote
I'll just start things off with the question for this thread of discussion.

When rewatching (not the highlighted "re") Anime do you simply rewatch it because it was a good (as in it had rewatchability qualities) series or simply for nostalgic feelings of enjoyment when you initially viewed said series?

For myself when I find myself rewatching series I had already finished it becomes a split decision for me. For some series like Gundam Wing, Dragonball Z, Ninja Scroll, Macross Plus, Pokemon, Digimon and Vision of Escaflowne. I rewatch them not because they were good but because I grew up on those shows and it brings back a nostalgic feeling of my childhood (though I'm only 17 now).

However when rewatching films, tv series or OVAs there are some I rewatch because they are just that damn good. For instance a lot of series that I find myself rewatching are comedies. Why? Because I never got tired of the jokes. When rewatching films like those of Miyazaki I rewatch them because well....its Miyazaki and he always seems to deliver an entertaining movie with rewatchable qualities musch like disney films (I won't go into debate about which of his films are better than the others as that is irrelevant).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
cloud1989

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:07 am Reply with quote
I rewatch anime because I thought it was that good, regardless of how famous it is or nostalgic it may be, I base re watches on how good the show is, I still have my very first anime vhs I bought from a kid in my freshmen year of highschool( thats when I started watching anime) and I'll never watch them again because they suck, it didn't seem like it back then cause I was new but I look at them now as crap, my very first dvd buy was FFU, just because I really like final fantasy back then and being new to anime, wasn't to good at evaluating the quality of a show, and I will not watch it again because it to, also sucks. Now if I seen a series that I don't remember to well because I watched it so long ago, and I liked it back then. I may give it another go to see if I still like it, currently watching dbz and it still pretty good till it got to buu saga. Other than that though, I really only rewatch something that just blew me away.

Last edited by cloud1989 on Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:07 am Reply with quote
I rarely rewatch series actually. I've watched Rahxephon from beginning to end 3 times because I just like it that much. I also rewatched Haibane Renmei and Serial Experiments Lain because they're both really short and I just felt like it. Plus I wanted to hear what Lain sounded like in Japanese. Also I might rewatch a series with a friend if he really wants to see it. I watched Last Exile and Gungrave with my roommate, but I already saw them by myself previously. Also stuff like Miyazaki movies are so enjoyable I can watch them multiple times. They're much more fun to watch with friends. I never do it for nostalgia since I only really started watching anime in 2004.
Murrice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Hm, I still haven't rewatched an anime, but will probably do so, firstly because I enjoyed it, and, as in the case for Code Geass , to refresh my memory Very Happy
thepope

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Mostly because it was really great. Can't tell you how many times I've re-watched Eva and Cowboy Bebop. The ends always get to me.
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Sometimes I'll rewatch a series for the nostalgia of it; about once a year or so, usually in fall, I get this random urge to watch Shaman King all over again, and I can get through about ten episodes in a day if I don't have anything else to do because it reminds me of how awesomely nerdy I felt getting up early every Sunday to watch the dub.

Then there are the series that I watch over and over again just because they're extremely good and never get old. GitS: SAC is a prime example; I can't tell you how many times I've watched both seasons (I think it's five or six by now), and sometimes I just get intense cravings for it. Same goes for Galaxy Angel.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Man. I forgot to mention FLCL. I've watched that series nearly 10 times I think. Pretty easy considering its short length. But its a series that deserves multiple viewings.
AceRyonik

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:13 pm Reply with quote
I used to rewatch my Rurouni Kenshin DVDs at least once a month, but it's been years since I've seen it. I've also been meaning to watch Paranoia Agent again, but haven't. I guess this trend started when I got Netflix.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:48 pm Reply with quote
When I usually rewatch something it's for no other reason than I'm bored and so I go and looking for something I feel like watching in my collection in order to kill time. Otherwise it could be any of the two reasons you mentioned or any combination of the two. Maybe I'm reminded of the series through a topic here and realize how much I've forgotten about it and decide to refresh my memory.
murph76

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:55 pm Reply with quote
I don't buy an anime unless I intend to rewatch it. Usually, I check out series I'm interested in via Netflix. If it enjoy it enough, I'll buy the DVDs. So, I've watched just about every series in my collection at least twice.

I don't really keep track of how often I've rewatched certain series, but I'm guessing my two most rewatched are Haibane Renmei and Azumanga Daioh. I find Azumanga to be a good series to watch after a long day, when I want to laugh and forget about everything else. Haibane is one of my all-time favorites. I enjoy rewatching it because of its beauty, and I seem to find somehting new and different in it each time.

-Murph
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:23 pm Reply with quote
I rewatch shows because they are good. I have nostalgic shows like Lensman or Voltron that I grew up on, but frankly I won't watch them because of that alone as they're just not any good.

I stick with shows I find to be good and rewatch them because of that. Nostalgia will, at most, inspire me to look up an AMV for a series or watch some clips people might have compiled, but that's it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zachiro

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:55 pm Reply with quote
I rewatch many animes simply because I like them, because I think they're good even though others may think they're not the best animes ever made, but i enjoy watching them. Very Happy
Another reason I rewatch animes (and maybe the most valuable for me) is because when I was a little girl I used to see them and I remember I had so much fun that it makes me nostalgic Sad so i rewatch them to cheer myself up Smile ,but when I Compare the animes I use to see when I was younger and the ones recently made I can notice the difference in the quality and even though the new ones have better graphics I still like the animes I grew up with and I will still rewatch them.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Mm. I rewatch something for two reasons.

I rewatch parts of series if they had me totally emotionally absorbed and I have to see it again. Or if it's a "big moment" in a show. Sometimes I'll just watch "that one half" of "that one episode" when I feel like it. I haven't run through Cowboy Bebop more than twice, but I can recite the episodes "Cowboy Funk," "Mushroom Samba" "Ballad of Fallen Angels," and "The Real Folk Blues part II" by heart. For Fruits Basket, I've rewatched the series several times but that's only because I've owned it for years and years. Certain episodes I repeat incessantly, namely episode 5, where Tohru goes to stay with Grandpa, episode 23 with Ritsu, and that...other one about Momiji's mom. (14, maybe?)

I rewatch entire series in marathon only when they're very continuous and complex in storyline and I feel like there's much more I could get out of them. I did this with Wolf's Rain, Trigun, Saikano, and I rewatched, in marathon Fullmetal Alchemist about six times to get all the juice out of it. Yes, I'm insane, no I wasn't busy sophomore year of high school then...

I'll probably end up rewatching Berserk too...

Oh! And my sister watches a lot of kiddie anime like Pokemon and Digimon, so I watch those with her like crazy as well. But same with other kids' shows and movies. It's kind of the way we bond, I think...
Jih2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Most of the times I've re-watched a series I felt like I was just wasting my time. The second time through Berserk and Hellsing TV felt like a waste of time. I usually re-watch things because I found them enjoyable upon my first viewing and shows like Evangelion that I have more of an interest in warrant the occasional second viewing upon which I usually discover something I didn't before however, I've found that I come up with more interesting thoughts simply by meditating or listening over the soundtrack a couple times on my way to school. Anyway, things like Gundam Wing, Outlaw Star, etc that were shown on Cartoon Network when I was a kid are fun to watch again not only because they bring back a little nostalgia but because I don't usually remember everything that happened. Details are fun to pick out and it's always fun to watch something with a different mindset and with different experiences under your belt.
LeoKnight25

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:35 pm Reply with quote
I love re-watching anime, honestly. In fact, I re-watch everything in my collection including my American animation collection and my film collection. I'll re-watch a lot of it out of nostalgia and fond memories, and usually I'll walk away with those same memories that I originally had and some new ones to add to the experience. I can't hate on something I liked when I was younger...I still watch my Akai Koudan Zillion LD's and that was one of the shows that started me on anime. Hell, I still watch cartoons that I watched when I was a kid like Transformers, G.I.Joe, Voltron or Thundercats . I love reliving my childhood as being an adult is quite boring. Now, I don't do it solely for the nostalgia factor. I don't own anything that I don't like or that I haven't enjoyed so, it's easy for me to get lost in pretty much everything I own. I'm not adverse to buying things to check 'em out either and usually I'm not disappointed. Maybe I'm too easygoing like that, but that way I find all kinds of things to enjoy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3