• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Encyclopedia "feature"

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 6:11 pm Reply with quote
I was just looking through the release DB and noticed that if you modify the URL, you can get some pretty neat searches:

animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/releases.php?anime=Inu
animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/releases.php?anime=Card

These turn up releases with "Inu" or "Card" as part of their title. A quick glance around shows that we don't use the query in this fashion.. But it could be rather useful, I think.

Obviously, what we can do with this is, instead of displaying a bajillion different (out-of-order) releases on the anime page, we could instead link to the release DB page listing them:
animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/releases.php?sort=date&anime=Inu%20Yasha

Or we could at least re-order the "related releases" in this fashion. Since companies release DVDs in chronological order (..[GT aside]..), it would make sense to order them thusly, instead of the haphazard order we currently use.

Also worth considering, although it's less useful is using this same technique on anime/manga/people/companies. For instance:
animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?list=Inu
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1