• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Split Aoi Bungaku ?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Aoi Bungaku is entered in the Encyclopedia as a "series" but what it really is, is an anthology of different stories, each one presented as a couple episodes. Very much like World Masterpiece Theater

Additionally, some of these are available as standalone movies, for example "No Longer Human" (based on the No Longer Human manga).

I think it's quite possible that some of the individual stories will be picked up in the future, possibly by different licensees, while others won't.
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:45 pm Reply with quote
I know if I were looking for the entry for Aoi Bungaku I'd search using that instead of searching for "Run, Melos" or one of the other stories. Is Aoi Bungaku any different from other anthologies like, say, Ayakashi Samurai Horror Tales or Mononoke? The first example is identical to Aoi Bungaku in that it was a collection of unrelated stories. For Mononoke, the main character remains the same throughout, but the stories are otherwise unrelated. In both cases I'd expect to find a single encyclopedia entry; I can't even remember now what the names of the individual arcs in Mononoke were except for "Bakeneko."

In the case of No Longer Human, shouldn't there just be a separate entry for the movie?
Aoi_Sakaraba

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Nah I think its fine how it is. For it is a "series", about multiple "stories". Splitting it into multiple entries I think would almost seem tacky.
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:11 pm Reply with quote
I personally don't think it should be split, as it seems to be a TV series that aired on a weekly schedule much like any other TV series, except that the episodes were multiple separate stories. It seems like it is just one production, not multiple associated productions. It really doesn't seem like World Masterpiece Theater, which was multiple separate TV shows produced over a long period of time, with each TV show being a separate production.

About "No Longer Human" being available as a standalone movie, I think that should get its own separate entry in addition to the one for Aoi Bungaku. This articlesays that the movie is a re-edit of the TV episodes, and my understanding is that theatrical re-edit's of TV series usually get their own entries in addition to the TV series (e.g. the Moble Suit Gundam movies or the Kiddy Grade movies).
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:14 am Reply with quote
I'd say go splitting it, especially after seeing each VHS tape of Dirty Pair (OAV) has its own entry. They were supposed to be merged but they were too old and too many users have watched them, making merging impossible. On the other hand, Dirty Pair Flash were supposed to be three separate short series from the start, thus the "omnibus" entry should be removed. Not an easy task either, however.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:51 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
I'd say go splitting it, especially after seeing each VHS tape of Dirty Pair (OAV) has its own entry. They were supposed to be merged but they were too old and too many users have watched them, making merging impossible. On the other hand, Dirty Pair Flash were supposed to be three separate short series from the start, thus the "omnibus" entry should be removed.

I still stand by my merger requests for those, which I made in the "Duplicate anime/manga titles" thread back in 2005. As for the VHS tape argument, they have since been released on two R1 DVDs, so I find that argument specious. Also, if the (former) Night Shift Nurses volume entries can be merged, so can the Dirty Pair entries.

dormcat wrote:
Not an easy task either, however.

I won't argue with that. Smile
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:03 pm Reply with quote
As far as the ANN Encyclopedia is concerned, the staff & cast credits are what serve as boundary between different anime productions. If different seasons of an anime have very different characters (and therefore casts), that's a good reason to split (like Major). If an anime has episodes produced over 20+ years, the staff in the first episodes will have almost no overlap with the staff in the last episodes, and that's a good reason to split (like Doraemon). And if every segment of an anthology is animated by a different team, that's also a good reason to split (like Aoi Bungaku or Animatrix)

That being said, as I've said before splitting an existing series that was not already segmented from the outset is something that must be done with a lot of care and planning.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Aoi_Sakaraba

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:38 pm Reply with quote
maybe the fact that is presenter is the same for each story is enough to say it shouldn't be split. It's a "Series" about different stories. It's not a series about a singular story. There are different types of anime out there.

So the series doesn't need to be split, because it is fine the way it is.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1