• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Most Attractive Anime Girl Contest (and Stereotype Battle)

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Porcupine

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Let's have a thread where we can have a discussion about what physical features make an anime person attractive. I think that this discussion can work well in the form of a contest, so let's try things out that way.

Phase 1 -- How about everyone start out by listing the anime girl that you find most attractive? Primarily based on physical appearance rather than personality, as much as possible. I suspect many people might have a hard time choosing just one, if so just pick one and hope that someone else chooses the other ones that you like. Your choice is both a nomination and a vote in a sense. Also feel free to re-nominate any girl mentioned previously.

Optional: Also post one or more pictures of this girl of your choosing to show how nice she looks. Might be helpful for people that don't know who she is.

You may instead nominate a guy or an animal if you like, however I would prefer for this contest to remain mostly girls if possible. Mainly because it would be hard to objectively discuss how a girl looks compared to a guy, or an animal.

Phase 2 -- We should also vote on other people's nominations to see who has the same kind of taste. Let's rank everyone else's nominated girls from 1 to 5 stars...1 or 2 stars essentially being like thumbs-down votes, 3 being indifferent, and 4 or 5 stars being thumbs-up votes. Even after we start voting on other people's girls, it's still okay for new members who enter the thread to nominate a new girl, she might just get less comments from others is all.

Feel free to comment on your own nomination or other people's nominations anytime you like, off-topic discussion is fine as long as it doesn't go totally out of control.

Phase 3 (in the future) -- I suspect people's nominated girls and rankings of other people's girls will eventually separate forum members into factions who have preferences for certain types of girls (Stereotypes). At that point we should tabulate up all the nominated girls and votes they got from others and try to form some sort of voting/contest/stereotypes team-battle-game. I think the exact rules should be defined later though, because right now we don't know who will participate in the thread and what kind of girls will get mentioned.

Final Comment: This thread centers around looks, however this doesn't necessarily mean that the people who participate do not appreciate the value of having a good personality, etc. Nor do participants necessarily have a bigoted view towards a certain gender, etc. It is just that this thread is defined a certain way, and it is my belief that intelligent discussion can take place on this topic.

Last edited by Porcupine on Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:59 pm; edited 3 times in total
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
How about everyone start out by listing the anime girl that you find most attractive? Primarily based on physical appearance rather than personality, as much as possible.

This basically makes it a list thead, which isn't allowed. Might want to re-think that part.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Are you trying to start another tournament possibly? Which could be turned into an idea, but not likely.
ElementSun

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:06 am Reply with quote
Why is it I get the feeling people will just nominate their favorite Hentai/Doujinshi character...?
darksideoftheanime

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:05 am Reply with quote
I think a better idea would be to ask What makes a character attractive? instead of Who is the most attractive? And maybe you can open it up all genders.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:39 am Reply with quote
If this is an attempt at another tournament I suggest you talk to Tony, Zac, or Sakechan first. I think if done right it could be fun but as it stands now this is not much more then a list thread idea. I also believe after our current tourny we have someone else who's going to be going next with their own. So if this was approved it would have to wait til after the next tournament. I had also suggested to Tony a "fan favorite anime series" type tournament but I stopped with the idea when I heard someone else had suggested another tournament already after the current one. Never heard back from you on that Tony. Anime smile + sweatdrop I would definitely talk to the mods first about your idea and be prepared to get in line so to speak.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:49 am Reply with quote
Hm.. I suppose we could try to make use of these poll options and incorporate them into a type of tournament. However, Cow-Boy_Be-Bop has already asked to do the next one (a long time ago, too). But maybe if we add these poll thingys and break each bracket into separate threads or something, it'll go by a lot faster, eventually allowing more of these tourneys to be had.

What are everyone's comments, opinions, or suggestions about this kind of format?
Jedi General

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:54 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Hm.. I suppose we could try to make use of these poll options and incorporate them into a type of tournament. However, Cow-Boy_Be-Bop has already asked to do the next one (a long time ago, too). But maybe if we add these poll thingys and break each bracket into separate threads or something, it'll go by a lot faster, eventually allowing more of these tourneys to be had.

What are everyone's comments, opinions, or suggestions about this kind of format?

I like the idea of using forum polls, a problem would be that people are unable to change votes. The separate threads for brackets I think is a great idea as it it would definitely keep tournaments from dragging on and on, and could mean more tournaments, more often.

EDITs: Typos Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Jedi General on Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:15 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:01 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:

I hadn't thought about that but using the polls would help make it go faster. The problem is you might get people simply clicking it randomly and not posting why they chose their vote. I believe that was one of the reasons for the current format was to ensure "intelligent" votes.I would suggest you mods make a thread with a poll in terms of future tournaments. I'm sure Tony you guys have gotten requests, Cowboy's, Mine, and Porcupine makes 3 right there. Why not have a thread with a half dozen or so tournament ideas and have a poll to determine which one people want next. Then do the tournaments in order of most votes to the least. Just an idea.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:19 am Reply with quote
psycho 101 wrote:
I hadn't thought about that but using the polls would help make it go faster. The problem is you might get people simply clicking it randomly and not posting why they chose their vote. I believe that was one of the reasons for the current format was to ensure "intelligent" votes.

That's a good point. Plus, there is the possibility that people would make multiple accounts and vote several times. Of course, I don't know why someone would do that for such a simple thing, but the possibility is there regardless.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
darksideoftheanime

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:30 am Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
Plus, there is the possibility that people would make multiple accounts and vote several times. Of course, I don't know why someone would do that for such a simple thing, but the possibility is there regardless.

Some over zealous fan boy who does not want their favorite anime character to lose?
Jedi General

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:46 am Reply with quote
darksideoftheanime wrote:
Jedi General wrote:
Plus, there is the possibility that people would make multiple accounts and vote several times. Of course, I don't know why someone would do that for such a simple thing, but the possibility is there regardless.

Some over zealous fan boy who does not want their favorite anime character to lose?

Heh, you have a point there. Laughing
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:26 am Reply with quote
Well, it all depends on what you guys want. I think I'll make a poll asking if we want fast (poll-based) tourneys or slow (post-based) tourneys.

The advantage of a fast one would be their speed. I guess if you wanted to post a reply just for kicks, that would be okay too. And to limit multiple votes from spammers with multiple accounts, we could either limit the amount of time to vote, or maybe have a cutoff after a certain amount needed to become the "winner."

The advantage of a slow one would be better accuracy. Since these forums advocate the concept of making detailed posts, you could go oldschool and just post your reasons for your vote and have someone tally them, but that would take like.. forever.
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:27 am Reply with quote
psycho 101 wrote:
Why not have a thread with a half dozen or so tournament ideas and have a poll to determine which one people want next. Then do the tournaments in order of most votes to the least. Just an idea.

I like this idea, and when I first read Tony suggesting the use of polls, I thought it was a great idea, however you all have given some wonderfully valid reasons why it should be the way it is now. I do like getting to vote on teh next tourney however instead of not. I have no idea who wanted to do what tourney, however if there can be only one...at a time...I would rather choose this way for what's next.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:38 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
The advantage of a slow one would be better accuracy. Since these forums advocate the concept of making detailed posts, you could go oldschool and just post your reasons for your vote and have someone tally them, but that would take like.. forever.

Well, we could still create multiple threads to speed things up a little if it's a post-based tournament.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8