• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gedo Senki...is actually REALLY good

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theangryocelot

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:37 pm Reply with quote
So I remember when Gedo Senki first came out, it got some pretty bad reviews, and like the rest of the Jiburi fandom in America, I got worried that it truly was as bad as it was.

Well. Circumstances have me in Japan this summer, and as it turns out, Gedo Senki was just released on DVD about a week ago. So I have it.

And its freakin' awesome. I LOVED it. It was never boring, or confusing, or...as bad as it was constantly touted as being. I think its fits perfectly right next to "Mononoke Hime" in the "holy crap that was really serious/kinda bloody/really awesome" category. It's a really powerful movie.

So for those who actually saw it, what was your opinion? Am I as alone in this opinion as I kinda feel I am?

From the reviews it seemed like a lot of parents were just upset that they took their kids to see the new Jiburi movie - yay! - but then they got dragons ripping other dragons' throats out and old witches deteriorating slowly into corpses. Very scary. Not for kids. Probably lots of crying afterwards. But hey, they should of known better with the rating it got. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dranxis

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:07 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen it yet, but despite what the negative reviews I'm totally going to import it once it's been dubbed. I don't care about it being done by Miyazaki's son, or the controversy, or the fact that it's Ghibli, or whatever: I just wanna see a good fantasy anime movie, damnit! Besides, I liked the books and thought that the world of Earthsea would be very cool to see in animated form. I didn't like the way they were written: a little too dry for my tastes, but the use of magic and dragons seemed like they would be fun to visualize.
LunarEchoes

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:49 pm Reply with quote
I'm waiting on a dubbed version, but this does look quite good. I've been tempted to read the Earthsea books, but never got around to it. The animation of this series looks good; I'll definitely check it out when there's a U.S. release.
Ryvius213

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:13 pm Reply with quote
I want to see this movie dubbed in English, as well. A friend of mine told me that if you didn't compare it to Hayao Miyazaki's works to it the whole time, it's actually a pretty good movie.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Good, I look forward to seeing it. I'm sure the R1 DVD will have a subtitled Japanese track version. Although being a (Hayao) Miyazaki fan and Studio Ghibli fan I probably will give it the critical eye and yet I know there will be something in it that I wasn't expecting that will be equally good.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Past wrote:
Good, I look forward to seeing it. I'm sure the R1 DVD will have a subtitled Japanese track version. Although being a (Hayao) Miyazaki fan and Studio Ghibli fan I probably will give it the critical eye and yet I know there will be something in it that I wasn't expecting that will be equally good.

I also. The preview that I saw when I watched the first Death Note movie back in Japan was very impressive for me. I don't see how there is much difference between Hayao and Goro, when it's coming down to artwork and the run of the movie. Could Goro have just pulled a wrong turn somewhere? I don't know, but I doubt that I will be disappointed with the movie when I see it.
retty

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Erm, ok so this seems to be the only thread I can find that's actually talking about the movie. Is there a better one anywhere?

I really loved the film until the very end, when it was stupid and confusing, and made me realise how much stuff set up throughout the film never actually came to anything.

On the plus side, the imagery in the film was amazing, and sometimes made me feel very scared. The music is also fantastic, and now one of my favourite soundtracks ever, i can't stop listening to it.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, as retty said so much of the film never actually seemed to go anywhere and as an Earthsea adaptation it was only marginally better than the Sci-Fi mini-series, but still an awful adaptation regardless. All in all I felt this was another Ghibli film along the lines of Howl's Moving Castle, nice visuals, but poor pacing and storytelling.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:22 pm Reply with quote
theangryocelot wrote:
Jiburi Jiburi

Not for kids.

I absolutely hate you.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:35 pm Reply with quote
I met JoJo, founder of Shuffle Alliance and one of the most respected anime reviewers in Taiwan at Comic Exhibition 2007. We chatted briefly about Gedo Senki.

Dormcat: "I felt that I was not going to love this movie based on the trailer alone. [The lead actress'] voice performance in that trailer was pretty bad."

JoJo: "Trust me, the trailer is the best part you can find in the movie."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1