• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Zipang's British subtitiles

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:13 pm Reply with quote
I began watching Zipang volume four last night, and noticed within the first 10 minutes that they use the British armour, honour, and harbour. This might have been the case for the other volumes, but I might have not noticed, but this time around there were three examples given during one conversation which made it hard not to notice. Is this something that has been going on with Geneon that I just didn't take note of until now, or is this something odd about this specific DVD? This is trivial, although I find it interesting and worth pointing out.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Maybe the Singapore dubbing also includes Singapore subtitling, which would use the British spelling?

Unfortunately I'm not at home, so I can't double-check this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Maybe the Singapore dubbing also includes Singapore subtitling, which would use the British spelling?

Unfortunately I'm not at home, so I can't double-check this.
I'm pretty sure that's the case...I can't remember anything blatantly British about the subtitles in Fantastic Children or Karin, but I think there may have been some British variants used. It's also notable that the subtitles in FC and Karin have the same styles and fonts used, which suggests that Odex dictates the release style regardless of which NA company contracted them.
d.yaro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:12 pm Reply with quote
When I first saw the title of this thread I tthought it implied there were different subtitles for a UK version of the DVD. That certainly piqued my interest. Oh well.

Nonetheless, I never noticed the British/Canadian spellings in the subtitles either. (Thought I suspect I may have watched it "raw" style and left the subtitles off .) So I went back and watched the lead episode on volume 4* too. This particular example slipped by me the first time: "This is the centre of the base, Natsujima Island".

* Thanks to my mistake in the order I had placed the DVDs in the artbox I actually had pulled volume 5 when I thought I had pulled volume 4. Thus the above quote comes from the first episode in volume 5. Oops!
hentai4me

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:06 am Reply with quote
Hurray for 'correct' spelling.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:32 am Reply with quote
The above explanations do make sense. I drift between paying attention to the subtitles and not, and the intro for Zipang 4 seemed complex enough so I was probably focusing more on the subs. Something like Karin usually doesn't have me reading the subs unless it's a dialog intensive part. It's odd that I didn't notice it on Fantastic Children since there are some complex moments in the series. Despite all the bad things I hear about Odex, the subtitles seem rather decent.

I love how the jet they enter is the Type 100, or Hyaku Shiki. I never knew there was a real plane by this name, and it reminded me of Char's MS from Zeta Gundam. Also one of the other battleships was called the Yukikaze (Snow Wind, Blizzard?) which is the name of another series. One challenge for translating is deciding between the Japanese name, and a translated name.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1