• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Perfect/Pointless/Poignant Quotes III

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 3:17 pm Reply with quote
This thread concept has been very interesting to me, so let us all welcome the third incarnation of it! Behold the new king, bow and treat this thread with proper respect. (Third time's the charmer, right mods?)

Please refrain from attacking other ANN users excessively or personally. Please remember this thread is not a chatroom. (I loved reading those exchanges in the last incarnation, but das ist streng verboten!) Please don't break any of teh rules as this will only lead to another thread lock.

Please post perfect/pointless/poignant quotes! You know how. I know you know how, and mods know you know how. So do it.

Like this one:
MasterYeshua wrote:
I have 2 questions. First, do you really talk like Naraku? And second, can you do a barrel roll?
Now tell me that's not a silly and pointless post. Wink
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 3:25 pm Reply with quote
This was said in the Japanese Ninja Turtles thread.

Patachu wrote:
Now you know how I felt when I tried out the first few episodes of Powerpuff Girls Z.

Now tickle my funny bone quite a lot.

And from Tony K. in the all discussion thread.

Quote:
EDIT: I hate the [expletive] Mavericks. I hope they get swept in the first round just like they did in the Finals after leading 2 games to none with a double digit lead and ONLY 6 and half minutes to go for a 3-0 series lead and a guaranteed championship. Their collapse makes me sick and is the most shameful thing I've ever experienced as a sports fan. I felt hurt, let down, betrayed, and am still pissed off! Sure my Cowboys lost in embarrassing fashion too, but a dropped snap is nothing in comparison to a 4 FRIGGIN GAME LOSING STREAK IN THE GOD**MN FINALS! Evil or Very Mad And at least the Cowboys have FIVE Superbowl victories, while the Mavericks have... a FOUR friggin game losing streak in the god**mn Finals! -TK]
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v332/tk0083/wade.jpg

At least your not a Cubs fan eh Tony?
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 3:30 pm Reply with quote
I actually private messaged Selenta about having the old one unlocked, but I see that was utterly pointless. Anyways, hopefully 3rd time will be the charm. I foresee this being a double edged sword though, if it fails then third time is the charm and we don't get a 4th chance. So I hope we don't ruin this for ourselves.
10円

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 4:03 pm Reply with quote
psycho 101 wrote:
I actually private messaged Selenta about having the old one unlocked, but I see that was utterly pointless. Anyways, hopefully 3rd time will be the charm. I foresee this being a double edged sword though, if it fails then third time is the charm and we don't get a 4th chance. So I hope we don't ruin this for ourselves.

If the second quotes thread was locked as a result of average users complaining about it on a regular basis, then so be it, I can live with that. But, if this was just one person deciding to close it unilaterally then I'm a little miffed. In fact, the second quotes thread pre-dates said person being given any status and was allowed to survive during previous disputes and transgressions, to the credit of those in charge at the time. Obviously it didn't really follow the rules but it's also obviously rather popular to have lasted this long and to have generated 30+ pages of comments from a varied group of participants. I'm not sure this is a battle I really want to take up, but it's something that bothers me nonetheless.

The main reason the first quote thread got locked was because people were taking it too far and really getting mean with it (including me) but that hasn't happened nearly as much with the second quote thread. No, this isn't a chat room as was correctly stated, but sometimes a little minor rule breaking goes a long way to keep people interested and coming back for more. Normally I'd just blow it off, or communicate directly with the person who locked a given thread, but in this case I simply don't have enough confidence in that person's judgment and objectivity to pursue that path. Maybe now that the third iteration is no longer associated with me it will finally be allowed to live on despite the borderline subject matter.

EDITED TO ADD: Hey, look, this is my 555th post. Did you know that in Thai the number five can be pronounced a bit like the English sound "ha"? On message boards that feature both Thai and English speakers it's not uncommon to see people replace "LOL" or "Ha ha ha" with "555". I'll bet you didn't know that! Wink

Last edited by 10円 on Sat May 12, 2007 4:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
LuckySleven

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 4:06 pm Reply with quote
This was from The Gift of Anime thread.

DuelLadyS wrote:

LuckySleven wrote:
4. Toilet paper is the worst gift you can give someone.

I don't know about that... I once gave my sister a roll of imported from Japan, fruit scented, Hello Kitty imprinted toilet paper for Christmas. She got a kick out of it. Laughing

I LOL'd at this. I was quiet amazed that Hello Kitty went as far to put their product on toilet paper, and it's fruit scented too. Very Happy
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Our resident tinfoil-hatter starts out strong in this thread, determined to drive it into the same pit as the first two. I don't normally bother with his writings, but this time will be an exception.
10円 wrote:
If the second quotes thread was locked as a result of average users complaining about it on a regular basis, then so be it, I can live with that.

Big of you. Whatever would we do if you couldn't live with it....?

10円 wrote:
But, if this was just one person deciding to close it unilaterally then I'm a little miffed.

It wasn't, but what's the difference? You're going to be vocally miffed anyway, because that is what you're all about.

10円 wrote:
In fact, the second quotes thread pre-dates said person being given any status

So Selenta isn't allowed to touch anything that predates his being made a moderator? I hope it is amply clear to everyone just how idiotic that statement is, and that it serves only to cast aspersions on Selenta's right to act as a moderator. It's a not-very-veiled ad hominem attack on a moderator, instead of on his policies.

10円 wrote:
and was allowed to survive during previous disputes and transgressions, to the credit of those in charge at the time.

Note the assumption that forbearance is invariably good, when what is tolerated is to 10円's taste. The statement that allowing the previous thread to survive is to the moderator's "credit" is a mind-bogglingly odd value judgement.

10円 wrote:
Obviously it didn't really follow the rules

Not really, no. In fact, not at all.

10円 wrote:
but it's also obviously rather popular to have lasted this long and to have generated 30+ pages of comments from a varied group of participants.

Ah, argument-from-popularity. The "fifty billion flies can't be wrong" logic is completely unimpeachable, of course.

10円 wrote:
I'm not sure this is a battle I really want to take up, but it's something that bothers me nonetheless.

Such hypocrisy. Of course you want to take up this battle, else you wouldn't have launched into a personal attack on a moderator. Confrontationalism like this is your stock in trade. It feeds your self-image as a persecuted outsider whose genius the moderators tread underfoot.

10円 wrote:
The main reason the first quote thread got locked was because people were taking it too far and really getting mean with it (including me)

Not "including" you -- especially you.

10円 wrote:
but that hasn't happened nearly as much with the second quote thread.

And that was why it was locked. Several people have separately stated to me that they considered the thread out of control, as did I (and Selenta, obviously).

10円 wrote:
Normally I'd just blow it off, or communicate directly with the person who locked a given thread, but in this case I simply don't have enough confidence in that person's judgment and objectivity to pursue that path.

So instead you go sniping in the new thread, hoping to provoke yet another lockdown and thereby "prove" your point. Which, of course, is very likely indeed.

10円 wrote:
Maybe now that the third iteration is no longer associated with me it will finally be allowed to live on despite the borderline subject matter.

Because, really, when it comes down to it, the two previous locks were both motivated in personal enmity of the staff towards you... right?

You are quite a piece of work, mister. I don't think I've heard anyone be quite this self-serving, hypocritical, offensive, paranoid and egomaniacal in years.

I seriously want you to restrict yourself to posting about anime and manga. Nobody here wants to read your self-pitying, self-aggrandizing tirades. Stay on the subject matter, or take yourself elsewhere.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 4:47 pm Reply with quote
10円 wrote:
EDITED TO ADD: Hey, look, this is my 555th post. Did you know that in Thai the number five can be pronounced a bit like the English sound "ha"? On message boards that feature both Thai and English speakers it's not uncommon to see people replace "LOL" or "Ha ha ha" with "555". I'll bet you didn't know that! Wink

Someone once told me that the Japanese name for the show Speed Racer was supposed to be pronounced "Mach Ha-Go". I pretty much considered him an expert on that show, so I took his word for it. I assume that has something to do with your "ha" and number 5 comparison.
10円

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 5:07 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
Personal attacks, etc.

Heh. That was priceless. Thanks for the laughs. I think I'm going to print that out and hang in my cube at work.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 6:07 pm Reply with quote
10円 wrote:
abunai wrote:
Personal attacks, etc.

Heh. That was priceless. Thanks for the laughs. I think I'm going to print that out and hang in my cube at work.

*ahem* Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

If you seriously think that I locked that thread because of you, or simply because you were involved in it, you're an idiot. I don't even read your posts anymore unless they're directed solely at me; and even then, I only read them if someone points them out to me or reports them (like this time).

To everyone else: Why did another incarnation of this thread have to be created right now without trying to address the issue? I had originally intended to lock the thread for a day or two, then clean it up and reopen it. At the time I had deliberately intended not to say anything about those intentions, as it would defeat the point of the lock and the warnings in the first place. Of course, I probably should have explained myself from the beginning in retrospect. So now that a new thread is created, I have to either lock this one and fix up the other one, or leave this one open despite being subject to exactly the same problems as the reason the first thread was closed.

I guess that wasn't as tough of a decision as I thought, so this one'll get the locky, and I'll fix up the other one in a few minutes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
10円

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 6:19 pm Reply with quote
selenta wrote:
*ahem* Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

I thought that was my line? Oh well.

selenta wrote:
If you seriously think that I locked that thread because of you, or simply because you were involved in it, you're an idiot.

Okay, y'all can stop tripping over yourselves to get ever more personal. Calling me an idiot, even with the "if" is a needless gesture. If you disagree with me then I'm sure you're mature enough to find another way to say it without having to resort to name calling.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Ok, how about all parties involved just shut up for 5 seconds. I mean seriously this is just utter stupidity. Not even one full page into thread and it's nothing but the start of a flame war. I am no where near a saint but Jesus H. Christ people, can you all just play nice for 1 freaking page?!

10yen--I don't personally have a prob with you dude but wtf do you expect to happen when you start right away blasting a mod in this new thread? Do you honestly think that's going to help keep it open? If you, and others, are so pissed about the last one being locked why the bloody hell are you giving them even more reasons to lock this one? You don't poke the bear even if it did eat your damn lunch. You poke it too much and your ass will be what's munched on next.

abunai--- You're supposed to be a representative of ANN. While not an actual paid employee you are still associated with ANN and should set an example. Blatant personal attacks are hardly the manner to do this. Not to mention you're age and assumed maturity should put you above youngins like myself. To you and 10yen I say act like adults in public and kids at home. You 2 got probs PM each other or the moderators or admin as they are the ruling authority here. I don't like many of their choices, and have called Selenta personally a hypocritical a-hole. I however, did this in a PM and not on the threads like some flake otakukin.

I understand people's resentment towards Selenta, as I myself did not agree with his choice, since it did appear he locked the thread due to his own personal frustrations at the time. I however gave him the curteousy of PM'ing him my concerns and asking nicely to reopen the locked thread. I know I am no mod and will get flak for my post but I couldn't care less right now. If you guys can't play nice stay inside and don't ruin things for the rest of us.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 7:23 pm Reply with quote
10円 wrote:
Okay, y'all can stop tripping over yourselves to get ever more personal. Calling me an idiot, even with the "if" is a needless gesture. If you disagree with me then I'm sure you're mature enough to find another way to say it without having to resort to name calling.

Rolling Eyes

Anyway, no, this has gone far enough. I should have just locked it after my own post, clearly I was mistaken. Locked. Good bye. End of discussion.

The older thread was unlocked after I did a little spring cleaning, so if you've got any quotes, it's fair game again. If you want to discuss me or the other staff, do so where those conversations belong.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1