• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Gift of Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 3:02 pm Reply with quote
We all love getting anime and manga as gifts right? Wake up on Christmas or your birthday and hope one of those nicely wrapped gifts contains some new and wondrous anime and manga for us. You open the box and unicorns and fairy's dance and sing around you as you behold the special re-release of the original Gunbuster along with the LE box for Black Lagoon. God is truly good. Now, while anime is fun to get how many of you GIVE it as gifts? Birthdays, Christmas, Easter, Anniversaries, etc. On these special days how many of you give anime and manga to others? If you do then did you do it to try and get someone into anime or did they actually want them?

Today is my 3 year anniversary with my gf. Her birthday is in 2 weeks. Short of Christmas, and a con, I spend the most money in may. I pride myself on being original and romantic but this year when I asked what she wanted I was surprised. See, usually I buy all the anime and she watches with me. It's not really a "gift" for us. It's a "Hey look volume "X" of series "Y" is out let's buy it." Instead of something fancy or unique she gave me a list of some dvds and 1 manga series she wants that I can choose from. While this benefits me, as I will get to watch or read anything I buy for her, I feel somehow as I'm being cheap. I feel I should do something more then the daily norm. So, I want to know have any of you given anime as gifts for people special to you? Is this something you regularly do for some people?
Asako

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Well.. no.. I'm kinda in the same situation as you since we both just buy stuff all the time, so getting it as a present would seem rather "light" on the "meaning" part. I usually don't get anime or manga for my friends since most don't care to own any, and the other avid reader/watcher reads in the bookstore and downloads her anime. So it's only a great present to myself! Very Happy

But what I do like to get people is anime related items, such as calenders or figures, artbooks. Smile No one's given me an especially special anime gift. But for my birthday in high school my boyfriend at the time bought me $100 worth of Ranma 1/2 manga (so about 15 books)! I was so thankful..
LuckySleven

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 5:02 pm Reply with quote
No, I'm really greedy. If I do buy something anime/manga related as a present, I would keep it for myself alone and give the other person something cheap like a roll of toilet paper. It really hurts me to give something away like even if it is for a loved one. If I did such a thing, there would be a hole in my heart. Yet it's not much of a problem for me because...

1. I haven't found a love partner that interests me.
2. My friends don't care for owning anime/manga.
3. My parents despise spending money on entertainment.
4. Toilet paper is the worst gift you can give someone.

Probably the best gift I ever received was a tiara when my friend placed in on my head during lunch in my school's cafeteria with a small cupcake with a single candle on it, that day on everybody stares at me funny.

Best gift I ever gave away was probably a picture of me and my friends doing stuff. I think she has it framed in her room now :3
pixiebell

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 6:33 pm Reply with quote
My brother is such a huge anime fan I almost always get him some for Christmas, birthday or just because. For Christmas he got Scrapped Princess, he got Wolf's Rain as a "thanks for coming to visit me" gift and I also sent him Hellsing as a "hey I have extra cash, here is a gift" gift. Smile I love to give anime as gifts and I plan on giving some manga to a friend or two this year as well.

All I wanted for Valentines day was Fruits Basket manga, so that is what my husband gave me. He said he felt like "it wasn't enough" but I was one happy girl! My advice would be, if anime/manga is what they say they want then get it for them.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 12:44 am Reply with quote
I'm pretty much like you psycho, I only buy the stuff for myself, but perhaps a Ghibli DVD for my mom's birthday may bring down her campaigning against anime Laughing
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 1:02 am Reply with quote
Asako wrote:
Well.. no.. I'm kinda in the same situation as you since we both just buy stuff all the time, so getting it as a present would seem rather "light" on the "meaning" part. I usually don't get anime or manga for my friends since most don't care to own any, and the other avid reader/watcher reads in the bookstore and downloads her anime. So it's only a great present to myself! Very Happy

But what I do like to get people is anime related items, such as calenders or figures, artbooks. Smile No one's given me an especially special anime gift. But for my birthday in high school my boyfriend at the time bought me $100 worth of Ranma 1/2 manga (so about 15 books)! I was so thankful..

Until recently most of my friends weren't that big into anime so I never got a chance for the whole gift giving/receiving thing with them in terms of anime. My current gf is also the first to actually like anime and not simply tolerate it. I mean I feel the same Asako in terms of getting her anime would feel a bit light and not as meaningful. Though I guess if that's what she wants then why argue right?

I love anime related items and at cons any item like that, including my much beloved art prints, are on the top of my list. I've gotten people calendars but that's not that much of a gift. We buy at cons as well as every day stuff but again, not for any special reason other then the fact we're at a con have more money to blow lol.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 1:11 am Reply with quote
Well, until this past Christmas, I didn't even give gifts to anyone outside my family, and none of them care much (immediate family, at least, no clue about my extended relatives). I am going to have to do something in the future about my one friend who got me the 18 disc CCS series as a pleasantly unexpected gift.

Also: Easter gifts? Goodness gracious sakes alive.
jetz

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 1:24 am Reply with quote
I am planning to give my friends anime DVDs for their birthdays this year. I'll just give them something I already have so that I wouldn't want to keep it for myself.

Also, my birthday's coming up in two weeks. Before summer vacation my friends asked me what I would want so they can prepare for it (My birthday will be on the first week of school) in advance, and I said I would like anything anime related. They asked me to make a list of the anime goodies I want, and they'll look for it during the vacation.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 5:31 am Reply with quote
Well I dont really know anyone else who likes Anime, but I often buy my family members movies. Idunno, theyre still getting the full benefit, so I figure if I get something outta it its just an added bonus. Id only say its cheap if you buy em something even though you know they dont actually want it that much but you do.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 8:43 am Reply with quote
Giving anime as a gift is tricky... a single volume of anime or manga can easily seem cheap, especially to someone who buys this stuff all the time anyway.

The only time I can remember giving actual anime content as a gift was a boxset, which does work a bit better as a gift. My BF and his siblings once coordinated with each other, so I got Kino's Journey 1 from one, 2 from and other, and 3 from the last (they're 1 short to do the whole set). That was nice.

Normally, I try to hunt down obscure anime collectibles, if I decide to give such a gift- my Christmas shopping tends to start in September/October on Ebay. (The most notable being a few years ago when 4 of us pooled together to win auctions for FF7 Vincent and Yuffie plushies. You aren't finding that at a con!)

Other than that, I go to jbox.com and just browse. They have all sorts of interesting goodies Otaku-types would dig. Like the Ninja shoes I got that one year, that went well... at least after we figured out the sizing scheme.

LuckySleven wrote:

I don't know about that... I once gave my sister a roll of imported from Japan, fruit scented, Hello Kitty imprinted toilet paper for Christmas. She got a kick out of it. Laughing
LuckySleven

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 9:02 am Reply with quote
DuelLadyS wrote:

LuckySleven wrote:

I don't know about that... I once gave my sister a roll of imported from Japan, fruit scented, Hello Kitty imprinted toilet paper for Christmas. She got a kick out of it. Laughing

OH RLY? That gives me an idea, I'll start a company that prints manga on toilet paper~! I'm going to make million~! So...who wants to buy my special toilet paper? It's only ¥500 for each role~! :3
douglas2k6

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 1:40 pm Reply with quote
A couple of years ago I gave my sister two manga series as a gift. She really enjoyed them and it helped rejuvenate her interest in reading manga, which she hadn't read for awhile.

I also gave one of my friends a manga series once as well, but I believe it's not a regular thing for me. I only make the exception if I know the person enjoys a certain aspect of anime, such as mecha, romance, etc...then I will purchase an item (usually manga) that pertain to their interests.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Recently I let my younger sister choose two manga books for her birthday. I may use manga as gifts for her from now on because she liked that a lot. Perhaps I could buy a series for my brother that I'd never buy for myself (examples: Tenjho Tenge, Maburaho, Yumeria, Ikki Tousen -- yeah he's a fanservice guy). My sister loves Miyazaki/Ghibli too so maybe in the future I could buy one of those films for her. Right now I already own most of them so there's no need.

I mostly buy for myself though namely because other than my siblings I don't really know anyone else who likes anime/manga. Plus like has been mentioned in this thread already, buying manga may make it seem like I'm cheap.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mercenary_Q

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 2:10 pm Reply with quote
When I choose to make a gift. It didn't work out as well as orginaly planned. First you have to know what the person likes, I on the other hand no no clue. so i went to the store and bought something based on my taste. Well it just happens that she hates that kind of stuff and leaves me standing there like a idiot. Well at least i got to keep the Manga. When you do buy a Manga/ Anime gift make sure that the person you buy it for likes it. Or else you'll end up like me
mapi

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 3:37 pm Reply with quote
take her out to a really nice restaurant and the whole schebang. Flowers, chocolates, walk on the beach, romantic movie it's whatever you want. And then on another occasion give her those gifts she wanted
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2