• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ghost in the shell: Solid State Society

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thanatos01s2

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Well this is awesome, I am an immense fan of this series. But I love the Dubbed editions, I am not a big fan of the subs.

So here in lies my question....

Has there been any talk about whether SSS will be dubbed, I know in the encylopedia it lists the actors for the english cast but the same is done for GITS 2: Innocence, and we all know they choose to be idiots and not dub it here in the US.

So will it be english dubbed?

And I guess while I am at it does anybody know if Innocence will ever be released here in the U.S. with an english dub. I am baffled as to why they would release an english dubbed version in the UK but not the US.......Especially since GITS 2 was in theatres.
supun

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 8:10 pm Reply with quote
I'm taking a wild guess and saying that SSS will be dubbed since I doubt the Sci Fi Channel plans to show a subbed version. That wouldn't be the best way to start out their Ani-Monday block. And figuring that Manga was the one that released the English dub of Innocence in the UK, and Manga is releasing the US version of SSS, there is a 99.999% chance SSS will have an English dub with SAC VAs.

As for an US English dub of Innocence, that depends on the agreement between Bandi and Dreamworks. I doubt Dreamworks would re-release a dubbed version, and the agreement might prevent Manga or another company from releasing one. I'm guessing there won't be any soon, or maybe ever.

Last edited by supun on Wed May 16, 2007 9:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Thanatos01s2

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Ah! I didn't even think about that. You are right Manga will most likely dub it where as GITS 2 was not released by Manga. Damn you Bandai!......I wish I could get my hands on an english dubbed GITS 2, it was on youtube but now taken off.(I should have watched it when it was up) So I have to watch the sub, which I have never seen. Because I do not support Bandai's decision. That is very smart though, God I hope you are right.

supun wrote:
I'm taking a wild guess and saying that SSS will be dubbed since I doubt the Sci Fi Channel plans to show a subbed version. That wouldn't be the best way to start out their Ani-Monday block. And figuring that Manga was the one that released the English dub in Innocence in the UK, and Manga is releasing the US version of SSS, there is a 99.999% chance SSS will have an English dub with SAC VAs.

As for an US English dub of Innocence, that depends on the agreement between Bandi and Dreamworks. I doubt Dreamworks would re-release a dubbed version, and the agreement might prevent Manga or another company from releasing one. I'm guessing there won't be any soon, or maybe ever.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Innocence was actually put out by Dreamworks not Bandai which is why it was not dubbed because they're lazy....

well the official excuse was that they think fans would prefer it that way. Rolling Eyes

However, while some might, there also are others who don't want to read an extremely talkitive film like that and would rather have a dub or still others that prefered the SAC cast. (Both are true for me.) Thankfully Dreamworks doesn't do a lot of anime. At any rate thinking about how Dreamworks screwed us only makes me angry so on to a better topic.

I'm really looking forward to SSS on Sci-Fi next month. I've seen the film but it was in my college's anime club and I'm not the fastest reader (bad vision) so I missed some stuff.
calawain

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 10:11 pm Reply with quote
The SSS DVD is coming out July 3rd, so the dub would at least be done by then. And like previous posters said I don't see why they would show a subbed version on Sci-Fi come June, so I assume that one will be dubbed as well.
Ichigo77

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Showing it subbed would almost be stupid on Sci Fi since Sci Fi is not normally an anime channel so they want to get more people into it and showing dubbed is the way to go. Also one of the reasons why I haven't seen GITS 2 is because there is no dub. I wouldn't mind a sub only version but captions? What was Dream Works thinking?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1